Modify Tank 40 Breeder Rim or FIlter?

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Tunze Osmolator Nano to my 40 breeder that has an Aquaclear 110 filter. The plastic frame on top of the tank limits how high I can mount the Osmolator float switch and the water level is lower than I'd like:

P1010177.JPG
The float switch itself isn't adjustable. The water level is low enough that the lip of the Aquaclear 110 is above the water line and the flow coming out of it is noisy and bubbles:
P1010179.JPG

I'd really like to tame the bubbles. I cut a piece of acrylic to act as an extension of the filter's discharge lip. That seems to work well when I hold it in place. So I can probably figure out a way to glue it on take care of the problem.

I could also cut the plastic rim at the top of the tank so the float switch can be raised up. I'm not sure what that would do to the integrity of the rim though.

Which option does R2R think best?

Thanks!

OP
OP
DeepBrew

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I really don't want to do that. I had another idea to try. I'm going to get some of the plastic trim that snaps on the back side of glass covers. I think I can cut it to length and snap it on the filter lip.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea for an extension.

Yeah, I really don't want to do that. I had another idea to try. I'm going to get some of the plastic trim that snaps on the back side of glass covers. I think I can cut it to length and snap it on the filter lip.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you don't have a sump. not sure what else you can do about the float switch.

OP
OP
DeepBrew

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump on this tank. The goal was to keep it as simple as possible. I want planning to add an ATO but I got one from for the 75 reef and now I want one on every tank.

If I can cut down the noisy filter discharge I'll be ok with the water level. It leaves enough room so if the ATO float switch sticks on the Osmolator will time out before the tank overflows.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to use the magnet mount for the float switch. Maybe figure out how you can mount the float switch to the rim. There are some options HERE. Check under "Tank Brackets."

Last edited:

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAke a bracket out of acrylic snd use industrial strength vrlcro to attach it to the back of the tank yiu can heat the acrylic sliwly to bend it overvthe lip of tank then mount float switch to the bracketwhefe you bent it apply velcro to brscket and to back of tank. Adjust height of bracket by moving it up or down on velcro. Just make braket long enough and put strips of velcro big enough to allow for adjustments That stuff holds crazy string

OP
OP
DeepBrew

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried to tackle acrylic forming yet but I did pick up a piece of plastic trim for the back of glass tops. I cut it to length, formed a bit of a curve in it with heat gun and trimmed some of the width off. It actually works well. No more noise and the bubbles are reduced to an acceptable level:
P1010182.JPG
P1010183.JPG

We're going out of town for a week starting this coming Saturday. I've decided I don't want to be screwing with the ATO mounting right before being gone for a week.

Back