money not an issue , IM30 L

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`m getting back into the hobby after 20 year layoff, I need your help, I`m in the education stage but wanting to take advantage of black friday cyber monday, what would be the primo upgrade set up for this tank ? I`m wanting a mixed reef . All opinions welcome

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4786 santa.jpg

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your welcome, this is a very kind and educational site, looking forward to the pro`s opinions

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was the IM 30L. The main challenge is lighting... because it's 36" long, but only 11" of width and 13" tall. So a lot of the typical lighting options, for a traditional 3 foot tank, can be far too powerful. And it's hard to get 36" of coverage without going with multiple LED fixtures. I personally recommend two of the AI Primes for standard coverage. If you want insanely good coverage, then go with three of them. But that's really only necessary if you are doing a strictly SPS tank.

There's obviously other options out there, but the Primes have a really small footprint. Which I think is key when you are doing a tank that is only 11" wide. No need to have some large clunky LED fixtures hanging over the tank. They also have WiFi built-in, which is a nice bonus.

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Broadfield, Radions 15 x2 not a good idea?? Is it too powerful??

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw Broadfield I see ur from Normal ( Chitown boy here but now in Colorado) Cardinals or Cubs ????

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Broadfield, Radions 15 x2 not a good idea?? Is it too powerful??

Yeah, you would need to have them turned way down... and you would have a lot of spill since they cover a larger area than the Primes. And they don't have WiFi built in. And they are more expensive. And the mounts are more bulky than the Prime mounts. As you can tell, I place a lot of importance on aesthetics also. I want my stuff to look great and work great. The XR15W is an awesome fixture, I just don't think its the right one for your setup.

Btw Broadfield I see ur from Normal ( Chitown boy here but now in Colorado) Cardinals or Cubs ????

Cubs all the way!

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great advice, and I`ll take it as valuable and credible since ur a reef pro and as importantly Cubs fan!! I need all the best bells and whistles (but only things that give me the best chance)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! For a tank that deep, Primes might be a good option, The XR15 is going to give you more PAR and controllability if you used a controller or a Reeflink.

welcom.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was the IM 30L. The main challenge is lighting... because it's 36" long, but only 11" of width and 13" tall. So a lot of the typical lighting options, for a traditional 3 foot tank, can be far too powerful. And it's hard to get 36" of coverage without going with multiple LED fixtures. I personally recommend two of the AI Primes for standard coverage. If you want insanely good coverage, then go with three of them. But that's really only necessary if you are doing a strictly SPS tank.

There's obviously other options out there, but the Primes have a really small footprint. Which I think is key when you are doing a tank that is only 11" wide. No need to have some large clunky LED fixtures hanging over the tank. They also have WiFi built-in, which is a nice bonus.
Welcome to REEF TO REEF
You'll love it here
Normal got a few nieces and nephews going to school down that way UI
I'm originally from Chicago myself but up in Milwaukee now

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David , well all I have to say,--- Go Cards and take the Blues with you!!! World Champion Chicago Cubs Fan says!! Great site!!

OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, North or southside? Ya know weather much better in Colorado , thanks for the welcome!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David , well all I have to say,--- Go Cards and take the Blues with you!!! World Champion Chicago Cubs Fan says!! Great site!!

Alright, alright, I'll let you bask in the glory as its been a couple years for your Cubs! Back to reefing, you'll quickly find this site is filled with willing and able folks here to help. I'd like to suggest starting a build thread. It's a great way to share your progress, ask questions and look back at your own progress.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

optibob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well being 110 years old ,I kinda remember hearing we won when I was 2, Ha kidding , I agree with you , when I start this endeavor I hope to be savvy enough to attempt the thread.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need all the best bells and whistles (but only things that give me the best chance)

If budget is no issue, then maybe it doesn't matter too much, but the bells and whistles contribute minimally to success, if at all. With the premium prices, you're predominantly buying creature comforts and automation. That's not to say there's no significance to those features, but it can help during planning and shopping to recognize what's for you and what's for the corals. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back