MP40wQD Seized Wetside Out of the Box

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my MP40wES serviced and they replaced the wetside with a new MP40wQD wetside, which I was happy about. I was happy until I installed the pump and it immediately popped off the glass when power was applied.

Investigating the wet side, the impeller was completely seized and wouldn't move. I took it apart and there was a thick, dried white gunk all over the base and impeller shaft. I was able to break it down with a vinegar bath and lubed it back up with vegetable glycerine and it worked fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Not at all what I expect from Ecotech. Perhaps this was a seasonal problem where a recently applied lubricant froze or coagulated during shipping due to cold winter weather?

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened a ticket, but have yet to hear back. I posted this thread to see if this was an aberration or if other folks had experienced this with new wetsides.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's interesting, curious to see what they say it could have been. Glad you got it working though at least

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it's hard to find a reef-safe lubricant that also doesn't solidify at very low temperatures. It's the first time in the 4x ecotech powerheads I've owned that I've had something like this happen out of the box.

OP
OP
wpeterson

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech said they use a medical grade silicon grease on the propeller shafts, support folks seemed to think congealed/hardened because of the extreme cold weather during shipping.

I replaced the silicon grease with a much thinner vegetable glycerine I've used a reef-safe pump lubricant. Do other folks know of a source for the same medical grade silicon grease?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back