Multi-tank sump setup

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently run my 3 tanks (40,95,135) without a sump and I'm thinking of setting up one big sump system for all three tanks to hook into.
I was spit balling some ideas with my SIL (she has 6 salt tanks of various sizes, mostly puffer setups) and we were thinking about the following:

10-20 gallon "receiver" tank that the 3 tanks drain to and houses the skimmer, this would flow to a 20-40 gallon refugium tank, then this would flow to a 30-40 gallon return tank (size here could accommodate for power loss to prevent flooding).

I think as a concept it would work, but I am trying to work out the logistics of the following:
1. Do I have the three tanks drain through 1 linked up PVC pipe to the setup?
2. Do I need to have 3 separate return pumps for it to be effective or could one big pump return enough water to all 3 using some type of valve system to regulate the flow back properly?

I'd like to avoid 3 separate sump tanks if I can as I don't want to spend the money on all the extra equipment.

Thanks and I'd appreciate any thoughts/input.

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 tanks into a single sump. Each tank has it's own dedicated drain line. Each tank is driven by a single pump that feeds a manifold that distributes the return volume to the 3 tanks.

Here are a couple images that may help. One shows the sump, you can see the 3 drain lines coming in on the left side. The second image shows 2 of the tanks, you can see each one has a dedicated drain and it's own return with a valve so each tank can be isolated.

Hope this helps.

IMG_4595[1].JPG

IMG_4600[1].JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back