Mushroom Problems

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some new mushrooms and I've noticed that most are opening up nicely during the day, but one of them has been closed for a few days. Today I saw what might be the reason. There were two tentacles coming out of the rock he's attached to. The tentacles are clear/white colored and about 1" long and very thin. Any ideas? I hit the closed mushroom with a blast of water from a turkey baster and noticed he has several curly white things on him. It looks like really skinny spaghetti that's curled up in spirals. These look similar to the tentacles that are coming out from the rock. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Thanks.

Candycane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could get a pic that would be best. But it sounds like a common spaghetti worm. Scientific name for them is usually Reteterebella Queenslandia. Those are the ones that "ride in" from the Solomon Islands a good deal.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to worry about any of this. the string things coming from rock are spagetti worms. they do not harm anything. as far as the things in the middle of the mushroom that is the inside of the shroom. the shroom may be irritated just let be and all should be good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back