OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0508.JPG
Well been working steady all day. Made some progress..

IMG_0509.JPG

Pretty disappointed that I was so off on my fitting counts. Ended up mixing the blue and some plain white from town. That's just my OCD tho. I'll get over it fast..
IMG_0510.JPG

Also not super happy with my manifold. Just ran out of room. Probably gonna cut it out at some point and redo it..

Going to hook up the uv filter and do some housekeeping work yet tonight. Braces and brackets mostly. Maybe get the apex out and start thinking about a mount for it. Then tomorrow........

IMG_0511.JPG

Aquascaping!!!!
Getting closer!!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice you can always paint the white red
You should check out the ocd thread here wish i could link it somehow they did some really nice stuff under the stand and with controller mounting

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see how this tank comes together! Have you had any success in finding any reef clubs in your area? Seems like everything around here is weak and not thriving and pricing is ridiculous

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see how this tank comes together! Have you had any success in finding any reef clubs in your area? Seems like everything around here is weak and not thriving and pricing is ridiculous

No such thing in my area that I am aware of.. I posted on FB and asked around. Found lots of people that "used to have a tank" but not many that currently maintain one..

The one local fish store is small.. I talked to him a little but didn't get much information.

Does Dalhart have a decent LFS??

Going to OKC this weekend. (Sister lives in Norman) several good shops down there. But I really like Fish Pros in Amarillo...

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the only reef tank that I know of, one of my employees has a clown tank. But that's all and no lfs. Have to go to fishpros but iv been spoiled by pricing in phx where everything here is double what I used to pay. 25.00 rose bubble nem vs 75 here

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well pretty much ready for water... letting the glue set up on the rock then I will move it into the tank and put my sand in.. I gotta say I struggled with the rock work. A artist I am NOT!!!

But here it is
IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

Once I figured out how easy this reef rock 2.1 was to drill I started using zip ties to hold it together. On the arch I am hoping that one the glue dries I can cut the zip tie out it looks pretty tacky. But if I can't I'll cover it with corals down the road.

I was hoping to get the tower to 18 inches but I stopped at about 15" hoping it looks good in the tank.

IMG_0519.JPG

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock and sand are in the tank. Water going in!!

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

And the final addition to me evil plan!!

IMG_0522.JPG

The light bar. Unfortunately the mounts for my Hydra 52's won't be here till tomorrow.

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging the light bar, what are you doing for flow? I have a friend sending me a gyre to try out on my tank

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tunze 6040 powerheads is what I am starting with. Want to upgrade to Neptune wav's but that's down the road a bit. I still have to buy another Hydra 52......... there is only so many thousands you can dump into one of these tanks.

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tunze 6040 powerheads is what I am starting with. Want to upgrade to Neptune wav's but that's down the road a bit. I still have to buy another Hydra 52......... there is only so many thousands you can dump into one of these tanks.
Haha no kidding, let me ask around and see if anyone has extra 52s

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update..

Lights are up. As always there is some tuning in to do but I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

About 5 more hours of water making and the tank will be full.

Drain system has been leak checked. NO LEAKS!!

Still have to check the return side so keep your fingers crossed for me...

Powerheads are in..

Have the tangle of wires I have to fix yet but that will be a future project.

IMG_0114.JPG

My LFS was supposed to get me the black hydras but got the white ones instead. He was nice enough to let me take these to have something to run while he gets the black ones in..

IMG_0523.JPG

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on here for the wavs used ones go for around 300 and I have a hydra 26 I'd be willing to let go of that's black as well just a thought love the scape

OP
OP
Daniel Strickland

Daniel Strickland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0532.JPG
Tank is cycling!!

Got the water cleared up some to.

IMG_0533.JPG

A couple small leaks developed AFTER the tank had been running for over 16 hours. Got to get those fixed but we are out of town for the weekend. Tank sitter found them after we left town. No problem tho will get them when I get home.

Have to get a drain pipe on the ATS. its loud and splatters all over the place..

Still super unhappy with how my manifold turned out. But it is all hard plumbed so that is gonna get rebuilt to.

Finally I'm pretty sure I don't have enough flow on the far end of the tank. Gonna put my powerheads down there first. Then maybe move my return outlets if I'm not happy with that.

But overall for my first setup I'm pretty satisfied.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back