My 500 gallon reef tank. 650 gallon overall volume.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks absolutely fantastic. Those Mitras lights look like they're going to be awesome. I see you're getting more and more into sps. Is that something you're considering going dominant in your tank? Again, thank you for sharing with us here. We definitely appreciate it!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of my favorite corals, one of the best pics of it I've seen. Definitely can't wait to see how it all looks under the Mitras lights, hard to imagine your coral looking better than those pics though!

It definitely has great coloration and expect some subtle improvements under the Mitras on that one.. The one that I expect to look incredibly different is my Strawberry Shortcake colony. I've already seen what a frag from it looks like under the LX7206 and it's a night and day difference. I have two of the Mitras over the main display right now that I have in temporary locations so I can determine spread and the best layout for the 6 lights. I have a few options for how I lay them out and intend on keeping 8 of my 10 kessils up there at least for the short term so I can acclimate the corals to the new lighting and retain some of my shimmer. While I do have the two Mitras dialed way back, I can see a difference in the coloration of the Strawberry Shortcake. Under the Kessils it's white'ish with pink polyps. Under the Mitras, it's more of a neon green with red polyps. While the ones over the main display are dialed way back, I see much more green in the coral than under the Kessils alone.

Here is one of the two Mitras currently over the main display in it's temporary location. It's there just for placement, spread and tinkering.
IMG_4396_zpsdnuyy0ly.jpg

IMG_4412_zpson75gdw2.jpg

Here is a shot of that Shortcake under the Kessils.
APC_0390_zpsuzcwzbhl.jpg

Here is a frag of it under the LX7 on my frag tank.
IMG_4240_zpsurhfocz8.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic. Those Mitras lights look like they're going to be awesome. I see you're getting more and more into sps. Is that something you're considering going dominant in your tank? Again, thank you for sharing with us here. We definitely appreciate it!

Thank you very much! I don't think this tank will ever be dominant SPS. I love the motion of the soft corals and like the natural look of the mixed reef. Don't get me wrong, I love SPS as long as they are thriving but SPS can be a pain where as soft corals and LPS just seem to do well on their own and give a sense of movement that you don't get with SPS. That said, I have a mess of SPS frags in my frag tank and plan of getting rid of a bunch of large rocks what the heck hairy mushrooms on them to make way for a live rock pinnacle of sorts for more SPS white also finding more spots for SPS elsewhere in the tank. I also have a 100 gallon display that I setup about 3 months ago. It's got a Mitras LX6200 over it. I've been waiting for it to be ready for corals. It just finished it's initial algae cycle and I test calcium and alk to find calcium at 450 and alk at 7.8 which tells me that tank is about ready to see it's first corals. I also have a controller on it and a GHL Doser 2 so I am prepared to make that tank and SPS dominant one and stock it primarily with frags from my main display as well as frags from my frag tank and others that I acquire.

Last edited:

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between the strawberry colony and frag are night and day; to me the Mitras is looking like it's going to be at the top of the lighting world this year

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitras are installed!! Install went very smooth thanks to good planning. We filmed the entire install and even dedicated an entire part of the episode to software setup and basic programming.

I still have work to do on the lighting project (programming) as I am starting with minimal intensity in order to acclimate my corals slowly to the new lighting. I dropped the intenisty on my Kessils a bit and will take my time with the adjustments.

Here are some pictures. I will work on some tank shots as well but at this point, it would be though to tell the difference from one light to the next with the camera.
IMG_4466_zpsmvcy3xgn.jpg

IMG_4461_zps1nwjx9uq.jpg

IMG_4443_zpsss6xt1m6.jpg

IMG_4465_zps1jcefkpc.jpg

IMG_4462_zpsjolhwncj.jpg

IMG_4460_zpsl8bhnxyp.jpg

IMG_4458_zpsj8a5qv8a.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a video update I just shot with my new Sony A6500. This video is best if viewed in 1080p.

Looks great!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really loving these Mitras. This is the end of sunset phase just before the lights went out last night. The colors in the tank are spectacular. These pictures do no justice.
IMG_4511_zpsohe8fc6h.jpg

IMG_4512_zpsbls4kwhz.jpg

IMG_4513_zpsgdjueumj.jpg

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to record my nightly feeding tonight. When I do my walk around videos, it's tough to see all the fish to guage how many there are. I figured this would allow people to see most of the tanks inhabitants. My nightly feedings are usually done an hour or two before the lights go out. In this case, it was an hour before the lights went out so the tanks lights are ramping down.

This is best if seen in HD!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I decided to record my nightly feeding tonight. When I do my walk around videos, it's tough to see all the fish to guage how many there are. I figured this would allow people to see most of the tanks inhabitants. My nightly feedings are usually done an hour or two before the lights go out. In this case, it was an hour before the lights went out so the tanks lights are ramping down.

This is best if seen in HD!

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I installed the Mitras LX7's over my tank and I absolutely love them. My corals are doing better than ever and have colors like I've never seen before!

We did an LA Fish Guys video series on my Mitras LX7 install. It covers setting them up for my light rack as well as setting up the Wifi network connection basic programming. It's 3 parts. This was shot early this year and just now released to YouTube.
Part 1 discuses the Mitras LX7's and prepping them for my light rack.

Part 2 covers installing them on my light rack.

Part 3 covers basic setup and programming.

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear Scott, your videos of your tank and awesome coral coloration earlier this year are what convinced me to go with the Mitras! Just watched your new videos yesterday, and will definitely rewatch and use as a guide when I set mine up soon. Thanks for making those great detailed videos!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I have done an update. Nothing really new to report. The tank is doing great and the corals are literally growing out of the water. I’ve been pretty lazy lately. I need to clean the viewing panes as it’s been a couple weeks. Hopefully will do that today and maybe take some update pictures or at least a video which is long overdue. I also need to do some fragging as my strawberry shortcake colony is out of control as are a couple other corals. I am having a similar issue in my frag tank as well. I need to clear out (kill) some hairy mushrooms in the main display to make room for some frags both from my shortcake as well as some frags from my frag tank. Fortunately for me, the system is in cruise control because of the automation so the only thing that suffers from my laziness are the viewing panes and some fighting between the corals.

I did a phosphate treatment yesterday and will follow up with a second treatment in a couple days. While I run GFO, I don’t stay on top of it and it would break the bank trying to keep up with the system anyway. My phosphates are always pretty high in my system. The last Fauna Marin ICP test reported .25 Po4 which was consistent with my Hanna ULR results. That was a few months ago and I know they are higher now. Granted, the elevate Po4 levels have never been an issue in my system. I don’t have any nuisance algae issues. Because my nitrates and phosphates are in balance coupled with a very mature system, everything thrives. I don’t think I ever posted this video here but this is how I handle phosphates in my system.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new GHL Mitras LX7's arrived today! Woohoo!!! They are beautiful!!!!! I see a big lighting upgrade in my immediate future. I am very excited! I got my brackets made for my light rack and my articulating mounts for the Mitras. I will start planning my lighting upgrade this weekend. We will be filming the install and setup for an LA Fish Guys Episode. Stay tuned!
IMG_4319_zpshvsheljp.jpg

IMG_4321_zpsiytmekyf.jpg

IMG_4322_zpsjx5lq0gr.jpg

IMG_4323_zpsualtugup.jpg

This mount is designed to clamp to my light rack.
IMG_4325_zpsk30gwsej.jpg

This one designed to hang between the extrusions on my light rack.
IMG_4328_zps65udhi5e.jpg

IMG_4327_zps3swme0ml.jpg

DSC00309_zpscavd71i8.jpg
Are you still currently running the GHL Mitras on your main display? If so, how many would you recommend for a 5'x2'x2' tank and what series?

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new GHL Mitras LX7's arrived today! Woohoo!!! They are beautiful!!!!! I see a big lighting upgrade in my immediate future. I am very excited! I got my brackets made for my light rack and my articulating mounts for the Mitras. I will start planning my lighting upgrade this weekend. We will be filming the install and setup for an LA Fish Guys Episode. Stay tuned!
IMG_4319_zpshvsheljp.jpg

IMG_4321_zpsiytmekyf.jpg

IMG_4322_zpsjx5lq0gr.jpg

IMG_4323_zpsualtugup.jpg

This mount is designed to clamp to my light rack.
IMG_4325_zpsk30gwsej.jpg

This one designed to hang between the extrusions on my light rack.
IMG_4328_zps65udhi5e.jpg

IMG_4327_zps3swme0ml.jpg

DSC00309_zpscavd71i8.jpg
Are you still currently running GHL Mitras LX7's on your main display? If so,how many would you recommend on a 5'x2'x2' tank and what series?

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still currently running GHL Mitras LX7's on your main display? If so,how many would you recommend on a 5'x2'x2' tank and what series?
I broke my system down is Jan of 2020 when we sold our home and move to Montana. I am currently tankless which is a first since 1987. That said for a 5x2x2, I’d suggest 3 of them with the Mitras setup front to back of the tank for best coverage.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke my system down is Jan of 2020 when we sold our home and move to Montana. I am currently tankless which is a first since 1987. That said for a 5x2x2, I’d suggest 3 of them with the Mitras setup front to back of the tank for best coverage.
Thank you, you ever going to build another tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back