My 85g reef experiment

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing work. Love the "top down" videos of SPS corals. :)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the whole thread properly taking in every post you made. Thank you for sharing all the photos and information; it's much appreciated. I love threads like this. :)

You've put together an excellent system. I'm looking forward to seeing the acros flourish.

Keep the thread going. This thread is an excellent resource. :)

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the whole thread properly taking in every post you made. Thank you for sharing all the photos and information; it's much appreciated. I love threads like this. :)

You've put together an excellent system. I'm looking forward to seeing the acros flourish.

Keep the thread going. This thread is an excellent resource. :)

thanks for the kind word, trying to emulate some of the thread i found here. I also use it as a log of my build, to see how it evolves, the change i make, etc. I love thread with lots of pictures :)

i'm trying to get a nice update including my LPS system, since lots of new dry rock was added, i have some maintenance (algae removal) and need to rescape the whole thing. also need to decide what fish to add in the LPS system.

Even my SPS system need an update, changed to many thing lately... 9 new acros in aclimation including RR-Heelboy, RR-Centurion, RR-Yellow passion, RR-Poison-Ivy, and some multicolor Matrix, peacock (9 new total). My parameters are out of control since i sold all my montis, birdnest and 'lower' grade acro.

Awating 2 chalk bass and 6 Vanderbuilt chromis next monday... seting up QT this week end. will do a 6wk QT on chalk bass and 8wk QT on chromis, so my system have time to 'stabilize' between additions.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better pics coming, but these are the 9 acros aclimating !!

P1140810.JPG

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome progress! Love these kinds of photos.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after aclimatation, these bad boys getting in place: ORA-Turquoise stag; RR-Black Poison; RR-Yellow Passion; RR-no name; CC-HellBoy; RR-Centurion; RR-Peacock; Multicolor Matrix (think it's ORA..not sure); Blue Milipora.

they start encrusting pretty well, and getting some colors. The centurion gonna be epic!
P1280934.JPG P1280935.JPG P1280936.JPG P1280937.JPG P1280938.JPG P1280939.JPG P1280940.JPG P1280941.JPG P1280942.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after aclimatation, these bad boys getting in place: ORA-Turquoise stag; RR-Black Poison; RR-Yellow Passion; RR-no name; CC-HellBoy; RR-Centurion; RR-Peacock; Multicolor Matrix (think it's ORA..not sure); Blue Milipora.

they start encrusting pretty well, and getting some colors. The centurion gonna be epic!
P1280934.JPG P1280935.JPG P1280936.JPG P1280937.JPG P1280938.JPG P1280939.JPG P1280940.JPG P1280941.JPG P1280942.JPG

Need to correct the name of coral:
ORA-Turquoise stag; Black Poison; Yellow Passion Cornbred Corals; RR-usa-no name; CC-HellBoy; RR-usa-Centurion; RR-usa-Peacock; RagingReef Multicolor Matrix; ORA-Blue Milipora

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank and corals;)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice additions. What is your protocol for adding new frags? Do you dip or qt?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice additions. What is your protocol for adding new frags? Do you dip or qt?

i acclimate for temperature, remove plug/rock, dip for 15 min, inspect with magnifying lenses. place on new plug, then acclimate in tank either on sand (bottom) or on frag rack for 2-3 weeks. if i see anything i doubt.. i usually throw the frag in garbage... now that i get in more expensive pieces... i might do differently, did not figure that out yet.

i wish i had enough room for QT, but for now that's all i have.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new inmates started their QT yesterday, going with TTM, then complete the 4 to 6 wks QT period.
These chalk bass are the 2 fish i wanted from the start... took me a while to find them.
one is already eating well, the other one is still weak and i find it often in a corner. i hope it's just the stress, they were imported into Canada, then shipped to retailer, then shipp to me within a few days
P1290967.JPG

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those chalk bass. Going Lfs trip tomorrow... Will look out for those.

Can you provide a rough estimate of the total water volume and fish type and number please? Trying to get an idea of your fish load.

Also are you still doing the Seachem Reef fusion brand?

How do you rate the FM colour elements?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those chalk bass. Going Lfs trip tomorrow... Will look out for those.

Can you provide a rough estimate of the total water volume and fish type and number please? Trying to get an idea of your fish load.

Also are you still doing the Seachem Reef fusion brand?

How do you rate the FM colour elements?

Total water volume: 145gal
- Main tank 85 gal
- LPS tank 25 gal
- Sump 40b (~35gal)

fish stock:
- Kole tang
- 2x Flameback angel fish
- 2x Midnigh ocelaris
- Firefish goby
- 6 line wrasse
- Red mandarin
- Scooter blenny
- Tail spot blenny
-Watchman goby + Pistol shrimp
- Scarler skunk cleaner shrimp
- Blood red fire shrimp
- Sandsifting sea star

In QT:
- 2x Chalk bass

Incoming:
- 6x Vanderbuild Chromis

most of my fish stock will be 'small' fish, only the kole tang will be of a significant size. Probably something i bring from my years in aquascaping, always loved the smaller/micro fish. they also have a smaller impact on bioload (detritus) generated in the system.

For my LPS system, no fish yet, but i'm thinking about 1 species only in that tank, a schoal of something, i would like to get bernacle blennies, a few of them, they are so intertaining or maybe a few Helfrichi goby! maybe a 6line wrasse also for the 25gal, i love utility fish to help getting rid of many potential pest.

i'm still dosing Reef fusion, i will eventually switch to bulk, but for now too many changes in the past few months, my parameters just got back to stability after i removed all those big montis, birdnest, etc.

I love the FM color element, i used the Red sea A-B-C-D and i could not tell the difference, then switch to color element and i can tell colors are much more vivid, explosive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions directly from RR-Canada, i just added them, color are still pale, but will post better pics soon.:
RRc-Mindfreak
P2120990.JPG
RRc-Fruitopia
P2120991.JPG
RRc-Cherry Bomb
P2120992.JPG
RRc-Kush
P2120993.JPG
RRc-AngryBird
P2120994.JPG

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great additions. Loving the Angrybird, Mindfreak and Cherrybomb especially. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back