My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great and I'm glad everything is going well. Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months of waiting....

no coral...

being patient,,,

watching it cycle....

waiting....

and BOOM, its finally a reef tank!!

can you tell I'm excited?? :)

20160203_211828.jpg
20160203_211814.jpg
20160203_211531.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Looks great. Patience is a wonderful thing...once it's done with!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot! Congrats. The waiting game is always the toughest part for me in this hobby. Well done. Can't wait to watch this system mature.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding build. That cabinetry is beautiful. Would you mind posting a picture of your "water closet" (that closet where the skimmer and water containers are)?

Also, where did you get those rectangular water containers? I may have to try some of them in the future.

Did you get closure on the lights? Did they fix the ballasts? Perhaps some vents in the hood would allow it to stay cooler?

Last question, how did the sound come out? Is it relatively quiet? Minor hum? I have a reeflo Dart in the stand and its definitely got a serious hum.

Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly and angels in a reef that size would be fun to try and catch lol

I hope I never have to!! Those two rock mountains are hollow inside except for some plumbing so all of my fish go inside at night or when frightened. No way to get them outta there without taking the rock work apart. Nice for them, not so practical for me!!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding build. That cabinetry is beautiful. Would you mind posting a picture of your "water closet" (that closet where the skimmer and water containers are)?

Also, where did you get those rectangular water containers? I may have to try some of them in the future.

Did you get closure on the lights? Did they fix the ballasts? Perhaps some vents in the hood would allow it to stay cooler?

Last question, how did the sound come out? Is it relatively quiet? Minor hum? I have a reeflo Dart in the stand and its definitely got a serious hum.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for checking in. I appreciate it.

I have a little more work on that closet and it's on my to-do list for next week so I will post a pic for you when I am finished.

I got the containers from Plastic-Mart.com (55 Gallon Portable Utility Tanks - (9503-A-SP0055-MM) Price Each: $158.99). Not cheap but it was the best option for my space.

The problem with the lights was caused by trying to drive two light fixtures off of one ballast instead of using one ballast for each light. They screwed up calculating the drivers and thought they could get away with it. Dedicated drivers for each light fixed the problem and they have been working great now without a heat problem.

The sound of 5 large pumps and water flow is loud. To be honest it is too loud for my preference. The weird thing is that my wife doesn't even notice it and it does not bother her. When people come over I ask them what they think and they say the same thing. So I guess its really only me that hears it. There are a lot of things I can do to remedy that but they all seem like they will result in less air flow and increased heat buildup under the tank. So I have an idea about rigging up some fans which will draw air in from one end, circulate it around under the tank and then another to blow it out the other end. Then I can insulate and sound proof the cabinet. I keep my tank at 78 degrees and I will never need a heater. In fact, without my chiller, I have to open up the cabinets and run a floor fan to keep the temp in range otherwise it would level out about about 82 even with the house at 76.

I have a to-do list of things that I want to finish up but never seem to make the time. I have a DIY screen top project waiting for me and I want to re-hang some of the pvc pipes a little better. I also need to organize my electrical wires and make everything neat and organized. The list goes on and on.... but it will have to wait for me because I am having fun enjoying my tank.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really nice. Can't wait to see more progress.
More rock and corals now !!!!! :)

Can you describe and explain the intended filtration system a bit more?

Nice system, really.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back