My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great picture. I just love this type of stuff. Survival of the fittest right in our own living rooms!!!

Must be a powerful sting because it killed one branch of my torch before I got in there and separated them. I decided to put all my hammers together now and they get along just fine. Somehow they either don't sting each other or they are immune to being stung by each other.

20160618_120804.jpg

Macro1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

Just spent a bunch of time reading through this thread. Excellent work! Looks great and I really admire your patience.

Ljaus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build and a magic looking tank. Will be something very special in a year or two when everything grows out and matures

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so dope! I'm curious, how do you get the corals where you want them? Some sort of tongs?

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

Just spent a bunch of time reading through this thread. Excellent work! Looks great and I really admire your patience.

Thanks for spending the time to take a look. I just went back now and looked at the progression. Brought back some good memories!!! Its funny how much I understand about my system now compared to the beginning. It really is a marvel of nature that a little ecosystem develops in there and it balances itself out (if you are patient and let it do its thing without tinkering too much).

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so dope! I'm curious, how do you get the corals where you want them? Some sort of tongs?

Thanks. It is a bit of a challenge being so deep. I can reach the top of the rock piles and about a food down the sides. For the rest I have two 4' long grabber tools. I have gotten pretty good at working with them. Its like having robot arms!!! I also added extensions on the end of my scrappers and nets to make them a little longer as well.

It would be so much easier if I could reach to the bottom but on the other hand, I find this keeps me out of the tank more this way.... which is probably a good thing.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It is a bit of a challenge being so deep. I can reach the top of the rock piles and about a food down the sides. For the rest I have two 4' long grabber tools. I have gotten pretty good at working with them. Its like having robot arms!!! I also added extensions on the end of my scrappers and nets to make them a little longer as well.

It would be so much easier if I could reach to the bottom but on the other hand, I find this keeps me out of the tank more this way.... which is probably a good thing.

I'd be smacking things all over the place, wreaking havoc, starting off with those tongs!! lol
Staying away I think is always good. It's only hard when you can't reach something if anything goes wrong!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be smacking things all over the place, wreaking havoc, starting off with those tongs!! lol
Staying away I think is always good. It's only hard when you can't reach something if anything goes wrong!

Yeah the biggest annoyance for me is my snails knocking over my corals. Sometimes they just slide over but sometimes they fall off the shelf and down into a crevice or someplace hard to get to. Snails are a PITA !!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the biggest annoyance for me is my snails knocking over my corals. Sometimes they just slide over but sometimes they fall off the shelf and down into a crevice or someplace hard to get to. Snails are a PITA !!
I hear that. I don't know what is knocking my rusty gorgonian over, but it's driving me nuts! I'm going out and getting putty today because I'm over righting it every morning because someone is getting rowdy at night! Are you able to glue corals at all or does it just dry by the time you get it down to the rocks?

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that. I don't know what is knocking my rusty gorgonian over, but it's driving me nuts! I'm going out and getting putty today because I'm over righting it every morning because someone is getting rowdy at night! Are you able to glue corals at all or does it just dry by the time you get it down to the rocks?

I am taking the approach not to glue anything. I insert plugs into holes and crevices in the rock to hide them and the rest of my corals are on heavy bases that I can just place on the rock without glue. I like the flexibility to move things around as needed based on water flow and light. Sometimes I have moved them when I added new corals to make the overall layout look better.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking the approach not to glue anything. I insert plugs into holes and crevices in the rock to hide them and the rest of my corals are on heavy bases that I can just place on the rock without glue. I like the flexibility to move things around as needed based on water flow and light. Sometimes I have moved them when I added new corals to make the overall layout look better.
I typically do that as well, but there are some I just have to glue now that the rocks are starting to fill up in my tank. Lucky for you, I'm sure you don't really have that problem!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first hitchhiker.... it looks to be an urchin of some sort - purple with white tips. I have never seen it before but it must have been in there for a while because it is about 1,5" in diameter.

20160625_205541 (2).jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back