My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

Mcconathy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are just in the beginning stages of our build with the same measurements as yours! Would love to know your thoughts on what you would have done differently if anything on your build! Have read every page and cant wait to see more! Only difference is ours will have a fish room (originally my craft room).....but our master bathroom backs up to the wall the tank is on so hopefully can plumb into it somehow!!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are just in the beginning stages of our build with the same measurements as yours! Would love to know your thoughts on what you would have done differently if anything on your build! Have read every page and cant wait to see more! Only difference is ours will have a fish room (originally my craft room).....but our master bathroom backs up to the wall the tank is on so hopefully can plumb into it somehow!!
Congrats and happy to help with whatever you need !!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what's new?!

Hi and thanks for asking!! I guess I lost track of time and haven't posted anything for months. Oh how the time flies.

All is well with my tank. I am especially grateful for the way my fish are all getting along so well. I have absolutely no aggression and I am so thankful for that because I have all of my favorites mixed together without any issues.

I have slowly but surely lost most of my sps over the last 12 months. It happened very gradually with just a little here and there until looking back now I can really see the impact. It's entirely my fault because I got complacent and didn't put in the time and effort needed to maintain my parameters perfectly enough for my sps. Rather than get too flustered about that, I am just enjoying everything that is thriving because those seem to be best suited for my environment. An expensive lesson for me to learn but now I know....

My next challenge is to find someone to look after my system for me while I do some travelling. I am comfortable leaving it for about a week trusting in my apex and auto-feeder but 2-3 weeks would be too long for that. It has to be someone I trust and I haven't taken that step yet to bring someone in. Its like the first time I dropped off a child at daycare...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the SPS! Got any new photos?

Hobe Sound Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ken,
Checking in. Been super busy. Sorry we havent been in touch. Wondering how the tank has been? Post up some pictures. Saw a post about needing a tank sitter. Let us know if you need any help.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a year since my last post. That is how busy I have been with a lot of extended travel (3+ weeks at a time) and with nobody to look after my system for me. Thought I could "swing it" with my auto feeder and my Apex to keep me posted. BAD IDEA!!!

Coming back to filthy tanks, bad water parameters and sick corals really broke my heart. But I kept up the travel at the expense of my system which slowly went from a beautiful reef into an ugly FOWLR. It was simply too hard to maintain a large reef system without help and to do a lot of travel at the same time. It cost me big time and its totally my own fault.

Well its time for a reboot and a maintenance contract. Not going it alone any longer. Spent 3 full days cleaning and doing water changes to get things back in line. Now going to add a maintenance contract to make sure I always have coverage and support. Next big trip is coming up in July and I will be ready this time!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear from you. Good luck and getting things rebooted and smart idea to get some help given your travel plans.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear your fixing the tank back. I'm in the same scenario since around 15 months and running a tank remotely ain't an easy job

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Days and days of cleaning, scrubbing and water changes.... now everything is sparkling and back in balance. Going to run for a month or so before easing back into it nice and slowly. That means Reef-a-Palooza this weekend is going to be all look but no buy.... what torture!!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finishing up the water closet. This is literally a closet just behind the tank in the hallway near the bathroom. It used to be a linen closet. I set it up so that when the door is closed, everything is quiet and nobody realizes whats inside. Glued and screwed 3/4" marine plywood to the back of the closet door.

Just need to straighten up some wires and water lines to make it look nice and neat but its functional.

55 gallons of RODI on the top controlled by a float switch. And then manual filling of the two 55 gallon bins below. One for making saltwater and one for ATO (with dosing). The two bottom bins are on dollies with wheels. As you can see, I accidentally cracked a floor tile. Its always something right? Argh.....

20180402_160559 (2).jpg
20180402_160542 (2).jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reboot almost complete. Everything is stable and looking great.

While I wait patiently for my cheato to reduce nutrient levels a bit more, I used the time to organize and straighten up my equipment under the tank. Hope to re=populate corals in a few weeks.

20180424_132226 (2).jpg
20180424_132211 (2).jpg
20180424_132154 (2).jpg
20180424_132135 (2).jpg
tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the progress. You'll have it back to the beauty it was in no time!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back