My Algae Turf Scrubber Build

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo

Sorry for my another post, here is the question again, I hope you understand me.

By the way, watching the ATS you do, I have one question. As is done to remove the mesh and clean, it is not difficult?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not that difficult to remove the screen and clean it. The algae comes off pretty easily, sometimes it takes a little elbow grease, but usually you can remove most of it just by dragging the scraper across the screen

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but I do not understand how to remove the mesh of the box, How it´s made?

They have to take the whole box and then remove the mesh?

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Floyd R Turbo how is the mesh secured to the pipe?

I need to get that clip for a DIY build i have. I am using zip ties and thats a pain to always replace. I also notice with your design the mesh goes into the tube?

Currently I have the mesh out side of the tube with holes creating the water flow. This gets clogged easily.

Two upgrades needed
  1. Light and hosing design update.
  2. Removable pipes for cleaning.
If you have some accessories I can purchase I can because I really like the clip design.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"clip" - do you mean the snap-on light/spray blockers, or the rotatable ring?

The method of drilling holes in the pipe seemed like a good idea when I first saw it, because it would prevent the pipe from pinching closed over time, but as you see there is a drawback to it, eventually.

What I do currently for holding the screen in place is really simple, I take a 3/4" PVC pipe coupler (I get the ones from Menards as they are longer) and I cut off a ring using a hacksaw. Make it no more than 1/4" wide, which is tricky. You can cut a ring off using a table saw also, just collect it out of the dust outlet after you cut it (it will get sucked down). However this is a bit tricky so don't attempt it if you don't have a high level of comfort with a table saw and PVC cutting (which is "grabby")

Then I take the ring and clip out 1/4 of it with a wire cutters and use a file then a sanding block to round out the tips so that it slides through the screen hole nicely.

(had to edit last paragraph out...I thought this was on my sub-forum for some reason)

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't find a good one of just the ring but here it in on a pipe
IMG_0427.jpg

Except this doesn't show what I do now which is cut 1/4 of the ring out and round the tips, but use your imagination :) also you can round the entire ring so that water flows around it a bit better, but this is really not a huge deal, might have a bit of a bare spot right below the ring depending on flow

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but I like the DIY projects on my tank.

@Floyd R Turbo thanks for the screen shot. I will be doing this with my new build.

Universal join, Screw cap end cap and these things.. Nice upgrade and lights next.. I already have the 660NM leads.

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diy ats I made I don't know what size pump I should run on it. Tank size is 100 gallons total water volume. Screen size is 10"x10" light on both sides. Pump to top of waterfall is about 17"

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 114 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back