My Camera any good?

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get into macro photogrophy with my reef tank.
I have a Nikon D40X and the lens on it is a DX SWM ED Aspherical infinity-.28m/.92ft (O with a line through it)52

I see a few threads recommending the tamron macro lense for about $300. Can I use it with my camera or do i need to go shopping? or is there something recommended for macro lense less than $500. I think I could scrounge up a tripod somewhere, anything else?

looking to ask family for a fathers day gift ;)

Thanks!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tamron macro will work on the d40x since it is a dslr. Just make sure it's for a nikon and your ready to rock.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind spending $400 the 100mm f/2.8 Tokina is better than the 105mm Nikon and 100mm Canon. It doesn't have VC like the Nikon, but it's sharp and you cannot beat it for the money period. The tamron is a 90mm and the Tokina is a 100mm. So you get that extra 10mm of reach.

Just remember it will be manual on your camera*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks you two for the input. I'm a total noob though so what do you mean by it will be manual with my camera? that mean i have to hand focus instead of autofocus? Are there any particular features i'm interested in other than maximum focal length?

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks you two for the input. I'm a total noob though so what do you mean by it will be manual with my camera? that mean i have to hand focus instead of autofocus? Are there any particular features i'm interested in other than maximum focal length?
So firstly the body you have is on the cheaper end of the former Nikon lineup. The D40x has no autofocus motor internally. All AF-D/AF lenses will only work on bodies with auto focus motors. AF-S lenses will focus on all Nikon bodies after 1977.

Since both the Tamron and the Tokina lack focus motors the body must have it. Your body does not, so you will have to use the focus ring. The Tokina is better ergonomically than the Tamron.

With macro, your maximum aperture is almost never used, useless you use the lens for portraits. The closer your focus, the small your depth of field. The smaller your aperture the greater your depth of field. So ideally, you'd want to shoot f/8 or less(meaning a small aperture like f/11 etc). Go look at sample photos from either of these lenses and look at the photos taken with different aperture.

The only other thing is make sure you have a tripod with macro photography. With such a small aperture you'll be having to use shutter speeds of 1/200 to 1/30 or more.

OP
OP
Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the advice, i asked for the tamron for fathers day. reallky looking forward to it!

Back