My DIY canister filter!

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to share with you all, my DIY canister filter, and system! I have an Oceanic Biocube, and as you know, with small nanos, you are very limited as to what you can upgrade with, unless you really want to cut a lot of holes in your tank, which I didn't! Anyway, I wasn't happy with the filtration, so I built my own filter. It is made from a lock-lock box, you can buy at Walmart. The tubing is 7/8 clear tubing, which fits in the back holes in the tank lid. I have a submersable pump in the filter, with the out tubing on it, and the in tubing going to the bottom of the filter. I bought craft plastic mesh, for the separators, and I have live rock in the bottom. I use charcoal filter media, which you can buy to cut to size. You will have to cut a hole in the lid for the two in and out tubes, and for the plug, and you will also need a replacement plug, to go onto the pump, after you cut it off, to fit through the hole. I bought four heavy plastic plumbing rings, and superglued them to the lid, where the tubes go through. Two on the inside, two on the outside, for extra support. After the cord is through the lid, superglue the hole shut. I used superglue gell. Anyway, here are the pictures of the filter.

Attachments

• Picture 018 (WinCE).jpg
    Picture 018 (WinCE).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 017 (WinCE).jpg
    Picture 017 (WinCE).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Picture 019 (WinCE).jpg
    Picture 019 (WinCE).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
Kate

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since used a larger lock box bottom, with more live rock, since I took this picture. Everything is the same, except for the bottom of the filter is longer.

OP
OP
Kate

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It is actually a beach chair on one side, and a palm tree on the other! :) I found it at Home Depot! There is a nice box at Walmart, in the towel section where the soap dishes and accessories are!

OP
OP
Kate

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have upgraded my cannister filter, to a Rena 3. It was on my 75 gallon. So far, so good. I had to do some downsizing to the smaller tubing, and it is still attached to the surface skimmer. This adds several more gallons of water to my total! There is a flow control valve, that I attached, and I have turned it down some, to accomodate the smaller tubing! It seems to be working great; no leaks! :)

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would happen if you had a power outage? Is the DIY canister sealed so water will not overflow the top if the power goes out and the 'IN' tube continues to syphon water from the tank. Or do you have the filter at a level where they will both equal out before an overflow?

OP
OP
Kate

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! It was sealed shut, with silicone sealant, and the lock lock box is sealed also. I've since changed it to a Rena Filstar 3 filter, modifying the tubes that go into it, so that they fit in the back holes of the tank lid! There is a flow regulator, that I've integrated on to the setup, so I can change the flow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%

Back