My DIY carbon reactor $17

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't have the money for a reactor so I made an inline carbon reactor out of 2" PVC T pipe. Used my return pump and installed the reactor inline after the pump but before the tank return. Only cost $17. Works just like an expensive store bought reactor. 30 gal tank.
20170210_115934.jpg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't have the money for a reactor so I made an inline carbon reactor out of 2" PVC T pipe. Used my return pump and installed the reactor inline after the pump but before the tank return. Only cost $17. Works just like an expensive store bought reactor. 30 gal tank.
20170210_115934.jpg

Can I get some details! This thing looks awesome!

OP
OP
S

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very simple. Home improvement store: 2 inch Sanitary T, 2" cap, (2×) 2x1 3/4 (threaded) adapter, and 3/4" hose end. I have 3/4" hose on my return line, not PVC so you can switch it up if needed. Take your carbon, put it in a small mesh baggy, tie it up and put it in the top hole, screw the cap on and flush it. Hook it up between your return pump and tank return. Will clear up your water in 24 to 48 hours. Remember this is on a 30 gal tank. Bigger tanks means bigger PVC T's. Also don't be careful not to reduce your flow if your using an overflow box.

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I think I might try this since I am ordering plumbing parts this week. You're awesome!

OP
OP
S

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working good?
Yes it is! I may make a new one with a couple tweaks so I don't have to use bags anymore for the carbon. I'm actually pleased with the little amount of carbon that it uses with the results I get. Also I will be switching out my metal hose clamps with stainless ones so they don't rust. Thanks for following.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get plastic clamps? I'm probably gonna make this within the next two weeks for my 29g. I'm curious, what mods are you planning to do away with the mesh bags? Are you having problems with the mesh?

OP
OP
S

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get plastic clamps? I'm probably gonna make this within the next two weeks for my 29g. I'm curious, what mods are you planning to do away with the mesh bags? Are you having problems with the mesh?

Plastic will probably work too I just like the durability of the metal. I'm planning on my next one to insert some kind of screen on each end on the inside. That way I can just pour the carbon straight inside the T and not have to shove a bag in there. Or cap off the top of the T and make the left or right side removable for easier insertion of the carbon bag. Good luck with the build! Hope it works out for you

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic will probably work too I just like the durability of the metal. I'm planning on my next one to insert some kind of screen on each end on the inside. That way I can just pour the carbon straight inside the T and not have to shove a bag in there. Or cap off the top of the T and make the left or right side removable for easier insertion of the carbon bag. Good luck with the build! Hope it works out for you

seems like that will make it more difficult to change the carbon. you would have to remove the whole thing instead of just pulling the bag out???

OP
OP
S

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a threaded end so it would just unscrew like the cap on top. I will post a pic when I get home from work. Thanks for following this yall.

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool DIY. Personally I would not use inline with my return, as its recommended to have low flow through carbon reactors (more contact time is desirable, I believe). But if it works for you, then it works.

OP
OP
S

SouthernReefer17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool DIY. Personally I would not use inline with my return, as its recommended to have low flow through carbon reactors (more contact time is desirable, I believe). But if it works for you, then it works.
I'm not quite sure on that myself, it definitely creates crystal clear water in my 30gal but bigger tanks may require an actual reactor. This acts more as a "filter" if you will.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back