My first saltwater tank build...65 gallon with sump

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the saltwater hobby as well as new to R2R. I have researched as much as I can and this is what I purchased yesterday. I am hoping to be able to do corals and fish. I hope I have the right build.

65 gallon corner flow aquarium with oak stand and canopy
Eshoppe adv-100 with refugium
Octopus classic 110 INT protein skimmer
2 hydror Koralia 600 gph powerheads
Hydror Koralia wave controller
Marine land 200 watt heater
Orbit marine pro led light
Sicce Syncra pump
Mag 7 pump (extra)
High output led refugium light
Grounding probe
Ocean direct live sand-40 gallon
60 lbs of live rock

On the order list is a bulk reef RO/DI

If anyone has any tips that can help it would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Ok_cowboy1

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the start of the startup! Again it's still being built and I am waiting on a few parts to come in! Hopefully I will have water in it next weekend!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build. Might want to look into better lights (but you have time on that) mainly if you want to keep SPSs. I had an orbit light (but not the pro model) and it was nice but when I switch to Kessils I been much happier. Now Kessils are costly and there many different lights out there. That is a nice heater. I using their 100w heater in my mixing station.

OP
OP
Ok_cowboy1

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build. Might want to look into better lights (but you have time on that) mainly if you want to keep SPSs. I had an orbit light (but not the pro model) and it was nice but when I switch to Kessils I been much happier. Now Kessils are costly and there many different lights out there. That is a nice heater. I using their 100w heater in my mixing station.
Everyone I talked to said the pro would be great for sps and lps. That was the reason I upgraded and spent the $350.00. I hope they are right!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I've got the same tank and skimmer. I would add a 2nd 200 watt heater. 3-5 watts per gallon. Your def on the minimum side. It's also just a safe thing in case one of them breaks and stays on. It will take longer for the tank to overheat.

Where is your water line going to be on the skimmer?

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the they improve the light with the pro model. You have time. You can always use that light and if it doesn't do well for you then look to upgrade if needed. It does seem like you might be fine though.

OP
OP
Ok_cowboy1

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I've got the same tank and skimmer. I would add a 2nd 200 watt heater. 3-5 watts per gallon. Your def on the minimum side. It's also just a safe thing in case one of them breaks and stays on. It will take longer for the tank to overheat.

Where is your water line going to be on the skimmer?
I'm still ignorant on the waterline for the skimmer. I have seen where they put trays in for the skimmer to stand on! I am relying on my dealer and this forum to help me with some of this and then this forum to help keep him honest lol!

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still ignorant on the waterline for the skimmer. I have seen where they put trays in for the skimmer to stand on! I am relying on my dealer and this forum to help me with some of this and then this forum to help keep him honest lol!

Check out my tank thread in signature. The skimmer should be running 7-11 inches. 8-9 being optimum IMO. I have mine at 8 3/4" using 3/4" egg crate grid.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As @stevo01 said most skimmer have a sweet spot on water level. My first suggestion (and this is what my LFS gave me and has worked well for me) is to fill you tank to the point its about to go over your overflow (like 1 more drop will make it go into your overflow). Then set your water line in your sump, some equipment might need to be raised. This is a good protection in the likelihood of a power failure (your return pump is over but your water will keep draining until its just below the overflow) and not flood your sump out.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @stevo01 said most skimmer have a sweet spot on water level. My first suggestion (and this is what my LFS gave me and has worked well for me) is to fill you tank to the point its about to go over your overflow (like 1 more drop will make it go into your overflow). Then set your water line in your sump, some equipment might need to be raised. This is a good protection in the likelihood of a power failure (your return pump is over but your water will keep draining until its just below the overflow) and not flood your sump out.

A $50 delay switch is my answer to that :) I'm hoping apex has that option...Does it?

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A $50 delay switch is my answer to that :) I'm hoping apex has that option...Does it?

The delay switch wont help if your tank overflow more water than your sump can hold. lol

Not sure if the Apex has a delay setting or not. In my DYI system I code a delay in for my skimmer.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump water line is only at 11" and with the corner overflow I'm not dumping into the sump when power goes off. When it comes on I can get skimmer overflow. The delay comes in at that point.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump water line is only at 11" and with the corner overflow I'm not dumping into the sump when power goes off. When it comes on I can get skimmer overflow. The delay comes in at that point.

Ok yes i see what you mean. I had the same issue with my skimmer that why I put a delay in my code for my skimmer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back