My FOWLR tank

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40 gallon breeder just over 2 months ago. Had a few ups and downs. Added a regal tang got ich but got through that with the help of other here. I thank you for that. Added some fun fish and added to my filtration. Always looking at options. Right now I have 3 AC70's and a esshops hob 100 protein skimmer. Thought about adding a diy 10 gallon sump but have held off on this. I build my own rustic tank stand. I am really enjoying this so far after a few years away from the hobby. If I come across a nice deal on a larger tank I would like to go for it.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great and sturdy ! May I ask why the fish only? I'm setting up a fish only tank as well.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a 165 gallon plus 40 gallon sump full reef. Got divorced and got out of the hobby. Now remarried and having a 3 yr old daughter that wanted a tank as did my wife.

I want to get a simple setup and not have to worry about coral again. As much as I like coral I really prefer fish more and not having to worry about which fish is reef safe.

Now I know many will cringe reading the next think I am about to say but...oh well. I don't want invertebrates nor do I ever plan on doing any coral. I had a touch of "ich" in my tank. Since I don't have anything thing to worry about I used cupramine in my tank with great success.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went FOWLR too. I got tired of the reef. I feel like none of our tanks were actual reefs anyway... more like coral gardens. I like a more natural look and got tired of not being able to keep some of these magnificent fish. Im a lot happier now. Who knows I may want to go back to reef one day but not for now. My FOWLR is only 4 months young but so far Im enjoying it a lot more than I ever enjoyed my reef.

IMG_8789.JPG
IMG_8734.JPG
IMG_8788.JPG

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I totally agree. Too much of a headache. FOWLR is enough of a headache than adding coral to it

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a FOWLR 65g for the wife. I have a 150g reef. Wife likes all the fish that are not reef safe. So to keep her involved we decided to do a fish only tank. Tank should arrive in about another week. finished the sump and stand already. getting the plumbing together. and ordering a skimmer. everything else I already have. will follow up with pics on a build thread when finished.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gentlemen, I agree ! I want cool fish that are not reef safe ! I also am tired of No You can't keep that fish ! I have 75 that the corals can live in peace. I want a nice fsh only show tank !

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just more fun to me. I started with this 40 but already a month later I wish I had gotten a bigger tank

I don't know about you guys but it is kind of nice to just have to remove carbon from a tank and does with cupramine. Instead of setting up a qt and chasing fish all over the tank that are sick and stressing them out more and move rocks around.

OP
OP
TJFitz1980

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went FOWLR too. I got tired of the reef. I feel like none of our tanks were actual reefs anyway... more like coral gardens. I like a more natural look and got tired of not being able to keep some of these magnificent fish. Im a lot happier now. Who knows I may want to go back to reef one day but not for now. My FOWLR is only 4 months young but so far Im enjoying it a lot more than I ever enjoyed my reef.

IMG_8789.JPG
IMG_8734.JPG
IMG_8788.JPG

What size is this tank it is awesome

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back