My new Mitra LX7 just arrived! Loving this new light!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mitra LX7 just arrived. It didn't take me long to swap out my 6200 and get the LX7 setup in it's place over one of my tanks that is connected to my main system. Loving the light so far. I need to spend some time playing with it and getting familiar with the new channels. I'm currently using my Mitra 6200 programming on it which was based on a 21,000k project. I haven't turned on the new UV channels yet but I will play with that later if not tomorrow. I will update as soon as I have it all dialed in to my liking and follow up with a video covering the new lights features and setup.

IMG_3169_zpswtddansn.jpg

IMG_3177_zpskz0wa4gt.jpg

IMG_3168_zpsrldmhzah.jpg

IMG_3175_zpshllyteze.jpg

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few weeks since setting up the LX7 over this tank and I decided to take some pictures. These were all taken with my iPhone 7 Plus. It has a remarkably good camera that gives a real good true to life picture. No filters used and no editing was done to these pictures. I will preface this by saying that I am REALLY impressed with the light and my corals have responded amazingly.

I've been pretty careful not to over do it with intensity and I used spectral charts from Advanced Aquarist that shows the peak spectral curve for photosynthesis in corals to come up with my present mix. My project is loosely based on a 21,000k setting which I then modified with a peak between 420 and 460nm. Given that we know what nm diode is at each channel, it made it somewhat easy for me to come up with a lighting mix that provides a good light curve for coral growth with a bit of UV, Red and Green to help bring out colors. I have the UV diodes set low but the rest of the diodes are adjusted such that I have what I believe to be a good light curve to not only provide good coloration but also provide the needed spectrum for great coral growth. Bare in mind that I've been using LED's for the last 6.5 years and am very comfortable with LED's in general. I've got a 12 hour photo period with only 4 hours at peak intensity which is well below 100% on the highest channel. The rest of the photo period is a nice ramp up and ramp down.

The first is one of a large strawberry shortcake acro colony in my main display under my Kessil 360WE's. I post this because it shows the colors of this coral under the Kessils. I will note that this coral is a bit whiter in real life as this was taken through the viewing pane. Between this picture and the ones that follow, you will understand why I really want to change the lighting on my main display. These Mitras are amazing!
1.jpg

These two are Strawberry Shortcake frags. The tiny one of the left was an accidental frag from the colony above that I broke yesterday and placed in the frag tank under the LX7. The color difference under the two lights is nothing short of shocking. The bigger one looks just as nice and is encrusting the frag plug pretty quickly. The following shots were taken from a coral viewer looking through the surface of the water and these colors are about what I see when I look at them.
2.jpg

Scoly under the LX7
3.jpg

4.jpg

I forgot what this coral is (I wish I remember). I got it about a month ago. Since putting it under the Mitras, its spread to cover nearly the entire frag plug but and the colors completely changed from blue and a bit of yellow to this crazy rainbow color. I am absolutely in awe with how this coral has colored up under the Mitras and how fast it's encrusting the frag plug.
5.jpg

Next up, my branching hammer frags. These things look amazing under the Mitras and they are opening like never before. Completely different than what they look like under Kessils where these hammer corals were grown over the last couple years. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with these Mitras and how the corals have responded to them. Not only are they happy as can be but I'm seeing colors I've never seen before.
6.jpg

7.jpg

Some other random shots of corals under the Mitras. All true to life color under them without any editing.
8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on. When I go to edit the post, the pictures show up. I'm using the photobucket IMG code like I normally do here. Even if I edit the post and try changing the image URL links, I still get no pictures. Really weird. I guess I's times to contact the moderators.

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on. When I got to edit the post, the pictures show up. I'm using the photobucket IMG code like I normally do here. Even if I edit the post and try changing the image URL links, I still get no pictures. Really weird. I guess I't times to contact the moderators.
fixed:)

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you VERY much! What happened? I've posted plenty of pictures here in the past using the IMG links from Photobucket and never had this issue. I know photobucket was down yesterday but even when I tried redoing this via a new post, the pictures never showed up. Oddly, when I clicked "edit" the pictures were visible and embedded into the post but when I hit "preview", I saw the "x".. I guess my best bet is just to upload the pictures directly to the post instead of linking them to Photobucket like I normally do??

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine!

@slief did you make your own project? Would you share? :) I don't need a 12 hour photo period.. Id probably tweak it a bit..

I spent some time working on the preliminary project this weekend for the big tank. I didn't use a project for the one over my frag tank. I still have some work to do on the project though. I was using a Seneye Monitor to measure Kelvin but unfortunately it didn't work as advertised and can't measure kelvin that high. I ended up having to use an orange gel filter over the Seneye sensor to dump down the kelvin in order to get measurements of my existing lights and also for dialing in the LX7206's. I am trying to match the Kelvin as close as possible to minimize shock and risk of damage to my corals as a result of the lighting upgrade. Also keep in mind that I will starting these lights off relatively low and working my way up in intensity so I don't create additional risk as a result of the upgrade. As such, my project settings will be on the low side and I will be continually tweaking it in the short term. As such, the project would need a lot of tweaking aside from just the 12 hour photo period. Once I have it nailed down, I will be happy to share it.

Are your Mitras going over an established reef? If so, what lights are you replacing?

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm going back and forth on some type of ATI/LED hybrid or a pair of Mitras LX7206. Question is I'm going mixed reef SPS/LPS on a 48x30x30 tank, would 2 Mitras 7000's provide enough coverage?
Thanks!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm going back and forth on some type of ATI/LED hybrid or a pair of Mitras LX7206. Question is I'm going mixed reef SPS/LPS on a 48x30x30 tank, would 2 Mitras 7000's provide enough coverage?
Thanks!
These lights have amazing spread. I would say two would work just fine. The higher you get them above the water, the better the spread but at 14", above the water, you should have plenty of spread.

ReefRocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tech4x4 Slief is not kidding when he says these lights have outstanding light spread!

I went with 2x Mitras LX 7 units over my 36x24 tank only because I have an SPS dominant and have them on the ends of the tank too. If I would have had a mixed tank, a single fixture would have covered my tank without any issues. I'm loving these lights!

Go for 2 fixtures, that'll cover your tank no problem.

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! To be honest I was almost hoping you guys would tell me I needed 3 so the T5/LED combo would come in cheaper making my choice easier. Guess I'll be looking for a sale on LX 7 units..

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to necro this thread but for those that have two of these is there a way you can link the two together so the behave as one and do not get out of sync?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By default, multiple fixtures will run in-sync with each other. There is also an option which allows for individual fixtures to run a few seconds ahead or behind the other set of lights.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to necro this thread but for those that have two of these is there a way you can link the two together so the behave as one and do not get out of sync?

By default, multiple fixtures will run in-sync with each other. There is also an option which allows for individual fixtures to run a few seconds ahead or behind the other set of lights.

Absolutely. As Vinny mentioned the units can be wirelessly joined, even with program delay options for say staggered cloud cover, east to west type sun rise etc
You'd simply go through the menu to system / wireless and set one to MASTER, and the "child" units to SLAVE mode. You'll want to make sure you select the same Wireless Channel on all units, but offset the Wireless Address on each.
This can of course all be done via GCC as well. :)

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. As Vinny mentioned the units can be wirelessly joined, even with program delay options for say staggered cloud cover, east to west type sun rise etc
You'd simply go through the menu to system / wireless and set one to MASTER, and the "child" units to SLAVE mode. You'll want to make sure you select the same Wireless Channel on all units, but offset the Wireless Address on each.
This can of course all be done via GCC as well. :)

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of three LX7s in the coming week, my plan is to have them be controlled by the P4. What would be the setup mode for this to happen? I always thought one unit would have to be set as the master to control the other "slave" units and the P4 would communicate with the master only . Yesterday I saw a guy on YouTube say that all the lights would have to be set as slaves and the P4 then becomes the master , which is it ? Anyone have a similar configuration in operation?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back