My new to me 280

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so have shelved the ridiculous 450 in favor of a more sane tank. The plan is to have a custom tank built in the next year. In the mean time I had the proverbial 10lbs in a 5lb bag and was starting to lose corals and a very suspect seam that was causing me to lose sleep. So to craigslist we went and found a very very nice 280!!!

Tank is 72x30x30 and built using 3/4" acrylic with twin overflows. Stand is a nice blond oak piece that I could wish was taller but still very acceptable.

Lighting is a Hamilton Tech 60" Sebu Sun that a good friend gave me. Bulb choice is 3 400w Radiums driven by Nanotech digital ballast. The 4 T5s are ATI bulbs, 2 Blue+/1 Purple+/1 Coral+. Have to say Im ecstatic about the color to my eye now to see if it will grow coral.

Under the tank is a Eshopps RS-300 sump with a Jeboa DCT-1500 return pump. There is also a 20tall acrylic that's plumbed in for the refugium and fed by a Jeboa DC6000 that's also driving the reactor manifold to feed the calcium reactor. There are two more feeds on the manifold for a GFO/carbon reactor if needed and a in-line chiller.

Skimmer is the one piece of equipment still up in the air. Looking at a Bubble Magus Curve D10 or a Local store has a house branded Jeboa. Either way they have DC pumps, wich is important sence Ive ditched LEDs for Halides.

For water movement I have 4 Jeboa RW-15s and a Maxspect Gyre150

Last but not least is a controller, have decided to save my GHL for the next build. Instead I picked up a Reefkeeper Elite for a steal. Has lots of modules including the SL2 salinity and three of the power bars. The Halides will be controlled by a Titan Controls 702660 Helios that wired directly to a dedicated 20amp circuit.

My plumbing is a hybrid Herbie set up with twin 1.5" full syphon drains with twin gate valves and a 1.5" emergency drains. The return is a 1.5" return to the top of the tank and then split to 3 3/4" lock-lins that are split with a y to twin 3/4" fans.

Will get some pics up very soon, Shooting for something better than cell phone :). Tank is up and running sans skimmer.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer bought, went with a Aqua Excel AE-EC5 DC pump skimmer. Reviews look good, Amazon purchase, so if it sucks or dies it will go back. Also light controller came in, a bit bigger than planned, but well built with some very large relays and nice heavy gage internal wiring!! Hope to have the wiring for it complete sometime this week.

Did some aquascaping and glued 30+ frags/mini colonies in today. Wish I had something better than my iPhone for a camera. Next big hurdle is waiting on 3/4" bulkheads to arrive so I can finish the return plumbing. Also set up my dosing pump with 2-part and Acropower.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! Couple more updates, switching from a Reefkeeper Elite controller to a Archon :). Also getting the Refugium going finally, just had to finish the overflow box for it. Will try to get some new pics in the next couple days.

Will be adding a few new fish as they come out of QT, Declivis Butterfly arriving Friday, Watanabe Anglefish pr in QT now, and hopefully if they are still there on Thursday a pr of Pyramid Butterflies and a Gold Rim Tang.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well will have to wait a bit longer on my Pyramids, but the gold rim was still there and he's a real beauty!! Also picked up a nice Potters Wrasse and a stunning Black Cap Jawfish :) Here's to hoping the jawfish pics a nice spot where I can see him.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG
Poor little butterfly went into display tank due to a unhappy Goldrim that's in QT tank and not playing nice. He's settled in well and already had some brineshrimp!

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Tank is humming right along and getting doser set up to start dosing two part and Acro Power. Everything is looking stable and happy :). Next on the shopping list is a new lighting fixture. The Sebu Sun I have is awesome but is only a 60" model. Would like to get a 72" version to get a bit more tank coverage. Have also looked at the Giesemann Spectra, my wife like the looks way better than the Sebu Sun. Will see after the first of the year.

I am still waiting to get my Archon set up, I broke the wi-fi antenna right of the bat. Will be dropping it off at Digital Aquatics this week. Next big move is adding the Watanabe angels. Think a acclimation box is in order after watching WW3 between my two spot and Goldrim tangs. Next up is a batch of 4 fairy wrasses and treo Ignitus anthias.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wantanabe Angel is in along with a nice healthy copperband. Lights off to allow them a little time to settle in. Will get some pics tomorrow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back