My QT Plan

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to dust myself off after my recent loss in QT and try again. I'm going to get a few different fish this go around though, and I'd like to make sure I'm ready for them and any potential needs.

Fish List:
  • 3x Vanderbilt chromis
  • 1x Yellow Corris wrasse
  • 1x Aiptasia Filefish
I'm ordering from the same vendor as before and last time the fish came in with Velvet and internal parasites, so I'm going to assume they will have it again. I hope I can use TTM, but will have everything ready for a medicated QT just in case. And now the questions :)...
  1. Should I just go right to medicated and skip TTM?
  2. Since I'll have a wrasse in QT, my plan is to use Coppersafe if I need to treat for Velvet. Just to confirm, this is safe for wrasses right?
  3. Should I have "the talk" with my dog's vet now and see if she'll give me a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate instead of planning for Coppersafe?
  4. Coppersafe levels can be tested with the API copper test kit. Right?
  5. Is a 10g tank large enough for these 5 fish? They're all under 2".
  6. Do I start feeding medicated foods right from the onset? I have dry food with Metroplex and Focus from the last time around.
I think that's all of them :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Should I just go right to medicated and skip TTM?
  • Since I'll have a wrasse in QT, my plan is to use Coppersafe if I need to treat for Velvet. Just to confirm, this is safe for wrasses right?
  • Should I have "the talk" with my dog's vet now and see if she'll give me a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate instead of planning for Coppersafe?
  • Coppersafe levels can be tested with the API copper test kit. Right?
  • Is a 10g tank large enough for these 5 fish? They're all under 2".
  • Do I start feeding medicated foods right from the onset? I have dry food with Metroplex and Focus from the last time around.

1. I think you are good just being prepared to go either way depending on their condition on arrival.
2. coppersafe is safe for a coris wrasse
3. You should have "the talk" wtih your vet anyway. If you can get CP then all the better.
4. Yes. API is what you need for coppersafe
5. Should be fine for a month in QT. Add a small bowl of sand for the wrasse to bury in at night.
6. No... wait until you see a need for it. (white stringy poop)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I think you are good just being prepared to go either way depending on their condition on arrival.
2. coppersafe is safe for a coris wrasse
3. You should have "the talk" wtih your vet anyway. If you can get CP then all the better.
4. Yes. API is what you need for coppersafe
5. Should be fine for a month in QT. Add a small bowl of sand for the wrasse to bury in at night.
6. No... wait until you see a need for it. (white stringy poop)
Thank you!

So.... "the talk"....

She likes my dog, so I think that will help. Here's how I see it going...

Receptionist: Hello, vet's office.
Me: Hi, my dog is a patient of Dr. Who. I'd like to leave a message with a question for her.
Receptionist: Sure, what's your info and message?
Me: I'd like to know if she'll be willing to write a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate for my fish.
Receptionist: Did you say fish?
Me: Yes. It treats marine velvet.
Receptionist: ... <dogs barking in the background>
Me: Hello?
Receptionist: You need a prescription for your fish?
Me: Right.
Receptionist: <click>

Ha!

How much do I say that I need to order? How much is this stuff?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

So.... "the talk"....

She likes my dog, so I think that will help. Here's how I see it going...

Receptionist: Hello, vet's office.
Me: Hi, my dog is a patient of Dr. Who. I'd like to leave a message with a question for her.
Receptionist: Sure, what's your info and message?
Me: I'd like to know if she'll be willing to write a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate for my fish.
Receptionist: Did you say fish?
Me: Yes. It treats marine velvet.
Receptionist: ... <dogs barking in the background>
Me: Hello?
Receptionist: You need a prescription for your fish?
Me: Right.
Receptionist: <click>

Ha!

How much do I say that I need to order? How much is this stuff?

I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still at the trying to explain it stage. Some people have had good luck with going to the office and bringing the articles on CP and why/how it's used with the research to back that up. I don't know how much it is, but i know humble found an online pharmacy with a pure source to get it from. It's linked here somewhere. Probably in the CP thread

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still at the trying to explain it stage. Some people have had good luck with going to the office and bringing the articles on CP and why/how it's used with the research to back that up. I don't know how much it is, but i know humble found an online pharmacy with a pure source to get it from. It's linked here somewhere. Probably in the CP thread
I'm thinking of going there to talk to her in person too. She's pretty open-minded so she might be open to it. I emailed that pharmacy @Humblefish listed for pricing :) http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com

That name really does not help the cause. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of going there to talk to her in person too. She's pretty open-minded so she might be open to it. I emailed that pharmacy @Humblefish listed for pricing :) http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com

That name really does not help the cause. :)

Yup! That's the one! I figure you'll have a better chance if you go in person and explain the intent behind the request. You can even try the puppy dog eyes on her if facts and research don't work ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheEngineer Print out these articles to show her:

Aquarium Fish: Chloroquine: A "New" Drug for Treating Fish Diseases

New Approach to Treating Marine Ich and other Ciliates/Flagellates Protozoan Parasites!

The links below will also prove that the author of that first article, Jay Hemdal, is the Curator of Fishes for the Toledo Zoo:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/03/22/Zoo-aquarium-reborn-with-careful-planning.html

https://www.toledozoo.org/general-zoo-info

So, he has credentials to back up what he's saying about CP. ;)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheEngineer Print out these articles to show her:

Aquarium Fish: Chloroquine: A "New" Drug for Treating Fish Diseases

New Approach to Treating Marine Ich and other Ciliates/Flagellates Protozoan Parasites!

The links below will also prove that the author of that first article, Jay Hemdal, is the Curator of Fishes for the Toledo Zoo:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/03/22/Zoo-aquarium-reborn-with-careful-planning.html

https://www.toledozoo.org/general-zoo-info

So, he has credentials to back up what he's saying about CP. ;)
Already printed them from the other thread :) Thanks for posting here. I'll get the info on the Dr. Hemdal too now

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought was to buy enough to be set for a couple years so I don't have to go through the prescription hassle again. Guess not :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a different vendor.

Im a fish health hack, but ive never had that much fish death or disease. Maybe its an eight year lucky streak and I am lucky enough to be able to look at my fish before I buy them but still.....
My last 2 were online and were VERY healthy.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought was to buy enough to be set for a couple years so I don't have to go through the prescription hassle again. Guess not :)

How long can you hold onto the scrip before filling it? Can it wait until tax time? then you'd be set for the year right?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try a different vendor.

Im a fish health hack, but ive never had that much fish death or disease. Maybe its an eight year lucky streak and I am lucky enough to be able to look at my fish before I buy them but still.....
My last 2 were online and were VERY healthy.
The chromis are hard to find.

How long can you hold onto the scrip before filling it? Can it wait until tax time? then you'd be set for the year right?
I guess I'll just get a couple grams for now. It's good enough :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh. CP is $300 for 20 grams. Soooo... yeah. No. :eek::eek:

Where did you get that price quote from? It sounds waaayyyy off. In the CP thread, people are reporting paying $30-$40 for 30 grams from Diamondback. :eek:

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that price quote from? It sounds waaayyyy off. In the CP thread, people are reporting paying $30-$40 for 30 grams from Diamondback. :eek:
That is from Diamondback.

Code:
Hello,
Thank you for your price quote inquiry.
Diamondback Drugs compounds this medication as CHLOROQUINE  20GM/SCOOP POWDER 10 scoops will cost $290.65
To order this medication, please have your veterinarian call, fax or email [email protected] 
Standard shipping via USPS Priority is $8.00, $10.00 if shipped on ice, once the medication leaves the pharmacy delivery time is 3-5 business days.
Thank you,
Diamondback Drugs

I'm skeptical about them just calling it "Chloroquine" but "Chloroquine Phosphate" wasn't on their list. I did specify that's what I wanted in the request.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, reading that closer, they appear to be trying to sell me 200 grams. 10 scoops x 20g per scoop?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back