nano oxygen crash.

Krozo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 3 days ago i had to leave home for abit. my girl decided she would hook up the refugium i was working on before i got back. my buddy at the lfs told her she could use fresh well water to mix the salt water for it. the refug is half the size of the nano. i came back on feeding day, and she had everything hooked up right, alittle cloudiness from the fresh sand, but everything seemed to be working. and no problems. tho when i feed the tank, my nassiarus snails didnt rise up from the sand or rush to find the leftovers. later that day all my snails wer acting odd compare to their normal behavior. even the nassiarus snails wer at the top of the water away from the sand, they every now and then did it during feeding when they got excited but for only a moment before they returned to the sand. i woke up the next day, my bonded firefish pair was out of their den laying down and some of the clean up crew was already on it. i figured it was just stress and that i should take precautions til the systm settled again, no other apparent problems other than that, 5-7 hours later i come in and my young tang had died via not enough oxygen, i panicked, ran red lights to the closest store for materials and preformed an emergency 1/4 water change of oxy enriched water that i always use. i also pulled out my mandarin til i was done cuz i could tell it was haveing breathing problems.
its been 1 hour since and the 2 damsels that are out and about seem to been calmer than before and acting themselves. im still worried about the mandarin cuz she refused her copepods, and i dont think shes been hunting them down regularly(hopeing she hasnt gone sucidal on me, if so she is my daughter i admit)
the only possible cause of this i can find is that aparently my girl dosed the tank with chimiclean afew days ago without my knowledge and the protein skimmer has been broke for awhil and ill be replaceing it monday. this aparently can lead to drops in oxygen lvls if there isnt a decent water change after 48hrs+. thats all i have found as possible cause other than possible pollutants via fresh sand or the well water that Supposedly checked out ok.

anyone with recommendation for my continued treatment follow up shoot me your imput.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back