Need a light with programming for dummies feature!

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my lighting on BC29. Presently using a Current Orbit that I can barely figure out how to program. I'm old and technologically challenged. Don't want WiFI, HiFI, or Fi anything, but do want nice features like ramping and moonlights with easily understood programing directions, not ones translated from Chinese ( I.E. the original Maxspects I had a few years ago). Needs to be plug and play because I don't DIY. Most important of course is what would be best for corals ( predominantly softie & LPS but would like to add a clam and a couple SPS). Budget is in the $300 neighborhood.
What would those in the know buy???

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to run across a good user interface in this hobby. I really like my Crystal Reef LEDs. Not including a $75 controller you can get a single cluster for under $300. Downside it while they're excellent "fire and forget" lights and have gotten me outstanding coral growth, the instructions are Chinese translated. Once you get past that, setup is stupid simple.

ZachP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some Nanobox lights that control from my phone. They are connected via wifi but it is very straight forward and takes 2 minutes to setup. Basically download the app on your phone, connect to wifi on your phone, hold phone up to controller box for a second and boom your done. Then if you want to go real simple it has nice pre set modes you can start with and adjust from there how you want. For a young guy I am really no good with technology and I had no problems at all figuring this out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect Razors come with a preconfigured ramping setup and it's not too hard to switch it to the other pre-programmed setting with moonlights just using the built-in control. Every other fixture I've seen is more complicated.

It sounds to me like you should at least consider skipping the fancy features and just go with a simple ON/OFF timer setup.

I have one tank with sunrise/sunset (a Razor) and one without (a DIY) and I question the value of the Razor every time I let myself think about it. (Which isn't often....the money is spent and I like the light. :) )

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, the Aquatic Life XS-UV series can quickly be programmed and the "traces", light patterns can be exported by usb to the fixture in minutes. It also has moon phases, storms and cloud cover. Pretty easy to use and the program is in english. When you are all set you can watch demos of the light and export to the fixture and it holds the information. It is that easy and they are on limited supply, but use mostly Cree LEDs and wrok very well. Colors are can be completely custom.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back