Need advice

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So my husband and I might need to move in the near future and that means bad news for my tank....downgrading :cry: My current set-up takes up 8 feet of wall space because my tank is 4 foot long (72G oceanic bowfront) and my sump which is located outside my stand is a 55G tank (another four feet). In looking for places to move, even if we can afford to buy our own place (which is unlikely given the rediculous prices of houses in our area), we're unlikely to have enough room for my monster set-up given most places we can afford are comparable to a cardboard box. I don't really want to part with most of my livestock because they're my babies but I'm resigned to the fact that I need a more space efficient set-up. Do any of you guys have recommendations for a cost and space-effective set-up? I know I'd prefer to stay with reef ready systems because I'm spoiled with having a sump. Buying brand new seems impossible because tanks are so darn expensive but I'll do what I have to if I can't find a good used system. Any ideas on what size I should shoot for to occupy less space? Also, my husband is always complaining about the noise of my tank. Is this just an unavoidable fact with a reef ready system or is there a way to minimize the noise to keep the hubby happy? Any and all comments are welcome!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure about the noise. reef ready tanks are too expensive for my tastes. i asked for a dremel for xmas with some diamond tips, so i've been drilling my own tanks and installing bulkheads and PVC piping. i guess i like the satisfaction of doing it myself.

as for silencing the thing....thats like the million dollar question with durso stands/pipes that exit the tank.

i restrict the ball valve coming out of the tank. but alot of people say never ever to do that b/c i snail could get lodged in there and cause a flood. i built a snail guard around the overflow box, so nothing can get up and over the top of the overflow box (hopefully).

why do you need such a large sump? do you have an in sump skimmer? lots of other equipment?

i guess for me, since i like to DIY stuff, first of all i would NEVER buy a pre-built stand. they arent made to put anything underneath.

i always build a stand with the first intention of being able to put a large sump underneath. to hide most of the equipment/noise/fuge light.

if both your main tank, and your fuge are 4 feet long, i dont see why your hubby cant build you a 4 foot long stand (prob about 52" so you can physically fit the 55g in there) out of 2x4's from Lowes/Home Depot. you'll prob have to build it at least 4" tall, since the 55g is 20" tall and you can get a skimmer in there.

there are alot of great designs/pictures on the RC DIY forum.

here was my project last summer, i was going to do a 50g breeder (36x18x18), w/ a 30g (36x12x16) sump. the stand was actually 48" long, just in case I ever wanted to put a 75g on it.

i dont think a 55g tank could fit underneath. if it did it would be VERY tight, and no way to get it out once you put panels on the sides.
IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

sadly, i never got around to finishing the set up. after almost a year and still not finished due to lack of funds, i decided i should stay in the 30g and under range b/c the thing was just sooooooooo massive to move every year or two. and since school for me has no end in site, the right decision was to sell it instead.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, forgot to elaborate on my current/future set ups.

since i've only been in this hobby for about a year and a half, and a poor college grad student, i only had a 20g (w/ no sump) up until this recent January when i just had waaaaaaay too many zoa frags all over the tank. it was literally stuffed.

i already had a 30g tank that used to be a freshwater planted tank. so i drilled the tank, installed an overflow box and bulkhead, and used that as my main reef tank, and used the 20g as my sump/fuge.

when i get ready to move, i am going to keep the 20g sump/fuge, then have a 2 tank main system plumbed too it. i will have an sps only 30g cube, and a zoa/softie 29g tank.

i'm doing this b/c for one, i have alot of sps. and doing the mixed reef tank thing is just too dificult w/ different types of lighting and flow required. second, its waaaaaaaaaay easier to take one smaller tank off line to move it, make repairs, or break it down etc.

just seems more practical to me to me to have 2 smaller tanks plumbed together than one larger one. at least the most practical at this time in my life when i'm on the move every year or two.

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey surfn, thank you for the info. I have a large sump because I bought the whole system used and that was the sump that came with the system. I like having the large sump to be honest though because it allows me to have a refugium and two skimmers in the whole system. I'm trying to consider all options at this point. My husband is not handy in the least so if anyone was to build a stand for the tank, it would have to be me. I do like how you built the stand for that 50 and having that with a 28G sump would be a really nice system for me. I don't really have the guts to drill my own tank as there are so many things that could go wrong. Anyway, thanks and does anyone else have suggestions?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, drilling glass tanks (as long as they arent tempered) is soooooooooo easy. just gota make sure you have a good dremel, and some diamond bit tips, and just take your time.

i've done about 10 tanks, not a single crack yet. :)

wow, what 2 skimmers are you using??

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you looking for a more room effecant tank go with a cube....Cubes take up some much less space and give even more surface area...I might be getting a 55 gallon cube this summer or fall...

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you recommend that I look for a cube such as a 55g one? How expensive are they?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS here in Kalamazoo has one that I am looking at for $329 out the door with Heavy duty stand, glaas tops and a single strip light.

I was just gonna build me one but the acrylic would be more then what this 55 gallon in all would cost...

James

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean cubes are exxxxxxxxxxxpensive.

my LFS, wanted ~$240 for a 30g tank, and $240 for the stand.

PetSmart is having a clearance sale getting rid of all of their black trim 30g oceanic tanks, $99 for the tank and $99 for the stand.

Glasscages is probably more expensive than Oceanic if you have to get it custom made (i.e. not in stock). I had 2 local guys get custom made cubes. a 98g, and a 120g. each prob cost around $500 or more, would be my guess.

I cant remember where glass cages is located, but they met them at a show, but still had to pay $100 to pick it up at the show since they brought it in one of their trucks. I imagine shipping a tank in the 50g-60g tank to your front door would easily be over $100.

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Karen - once you know what you want, I can talk to John about building a simple stand like what surfn shows above. He's got all the tools, ect. He's also has a drill and diamond bits and is drilling his new tank, so he could probably do it.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may still have the links to the stand designs i got off of RC. i'll have to dig through my bookmarks when i get the chance.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard of people who have ocean cubes, that are 28g, 30g, 34g, 38, etc.....yet i've never seen these advertised anywhere, or on oceanic's website.

i wonder if they made them in the past and then discontinued them.

i'm pretty sure mine is exactly 20x20x20, but was sold as 30g cube. i guess thats more like 35g.

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, thanks guys :) These are really good suggestions! I like the idea of a cube A LOT! Having one larger than a 30 would be preferable but if there was a way to drill the 30 then I could use a nice sized sump. Kammy, you're a sweetheart :) Thank you for the offer of John's help. By the way, I just remembered that friend of yours from the tank tour who built Tom's prop tank. Is he expensive?

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the website Kammy :) I sent George an e-mail and will let you know what he says.

mschriskim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralnutz, thanks have we ever met? I know we are local but not so sure... : )
Sorry for no-related topic here : ) - I want to say something here after registeration and would be best to do it on Karen's thread : )

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great to see you here Chris :) Can't wait to see you post pics of your zoas :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back