Need advice

john pocock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Well I have had my tank for 3 years. I have a clown fish that seems to kill every fish I put in the tank. I am thinking about making the tank more of an aggressive tank. I am thinking about putting a bunch of damsels in the tanks. The other thing is they are cheaper. What dose everyone think of this ideal? I also do not have a lot of coal but I would still like to make sure that they do not kill what I do have.

Thanks,
John

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered banishing the clownfish to the sump? :) Some damsels are more aggressive than others and stand a greater chance of surviving. My yellowtail damsels mostly just bicker amongst themselves.

Regardless, the damsels should not be a problem with the corals you do have.

OP
OP
J

john pocock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered banishing the clownfish to the sump? :) Some damsels are more aggressive than others and stand a greater chance of surviving. My yellowtail damsels mostly just bicker amongst themselves.

Regardless, the damsels should not be a problem with the corals you do have.

If I do decided to put damsels in my tank which type do you recommend. I am really leaning towards this. They are just so much cheaper. The only fish I have right now is the clown fish.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for mean damsels that only a toilet can kill, I hear you can't go wrong with lemonpeel or domino damsels. Locally here in Destin, there are mean damsels you can catch off of the jetties that will just about peel the skin off of your hand! :)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do decided to put damsels in my tank which type do you recommend. I am really leaning towards this. They are just so much cheaper. The only fish I have right now is the clown fish.
Does the clown fish have an anemone To host .. my clown fish rarely come out of my anemone .. i have also 3 yellow tales . One is a pain in the behind .. he always keeps blowing the sand away in one spot ..until he can see himself in iT ..funny at first .. Very anouying .. now !!

OP
OP
J

john pocock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown fish I have is a yellow tale also. He dose the same thing with the sand. I am not looking for the most aggressive fish. I just want to put something in there that he will not kill. I also like the price. If I do go this rout will I only be able to put damsels in the tank?

OP
OP
J

john pocock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 50 gal tank. If I do put a few damsels in my tank how many should I put in there? I have a lot of live rock for them to hide in.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown had no difficulty killing both yellow tail damsels and blue damsels. Anything including shrimp and crab that went into the tank was doomed. I have had both ocellaris and maroons kill damsels. The only fish that I have had that offered up a fight against my clowns was a YWG.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 50 gal tank. If I do put a few damsels in my tank how many should I put in there? I have a lot of live rock for them to hide in.
Depending on the species 6-12. Dascyllus species, closer to six, Chrysiptera species closer to 12.

Adding quite a few at once diffuses the targets.

Personally, I prefer damsels in the genus Chrysiptera for their colors and behavior. You could due a few each of a few species, such as kupang, talbots, yellow tail, rolands, and springeri. Just try to add all at once.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back