Need Flow!

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, heres the deal -

I posted a few days ago about having crap on the bottom of my frag tank. From the feedback I got, apparently there probably is not adequate flow in my tank.

I was running a mag 7 as my return pump, using a spray bar for my return, and this was the only flow in my 33 gallon, 36X15X15 propagation tank.

So I need more flow. What should I do? I am going to be switching the return pump to a 430gph hydor pump, as I should not have mag 7 flow going through my sump anyway. So I need some flow in the display.

What I think I would like to do is get two Hydor Korialia 1 pumps. They have broad, gentle, high flow from what I understand. Each K1 puts out 400 gph, so 8oo gph in my tank total. There is a problem with this idea, however - Apparently hydor korilia pumps have been recalled. I can't figure out why. They are out of stock most everywhere, except for one place I have found. The cost would be ~40$ each.

Other alternatives - one nano stream?
One or Two MaxiMods?

What do you all think?

Thanks

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would got with a nanostream, they are awesome (aside from the product flaws and recals), but if you get one that has problems the customer support is fantastic as long as they have replacement pumps/parts in stock.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow are your looking for? The Koralias are very different than the Nanostreams and the MJmods.

OP
OP
jafoca

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for wide flow which will hit most of the tank.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 36" tank your going to need more than just a return pump and spray bar to get the kind of flow your looking for. My tank is also 36"and barebottom. I run 1 tunze 6000 and 2 tunze 6025's I also use a mag 9.5 for my return. I was also having problems with debris collecting on the bottom. The first thing I did was raise all my rockwork off the bottom so water could flow underneath it. I put 1 of the nano streams on the bottom blowing under the rockwork. I also aimed my return at the back corner so it goes down the side glass and then flows under the rockwork across from the nano stream. I have the 6000 and the other 6025 on different sides of the tank aimed at each other. This basically eliminated all dead spots in my tank. Hope that makes sense.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nanostreams and MJmods put out a very powerful stream. In my tank I tried both and they kicked up sand(mj1200 mod & nanostream 6045). The Koralias put out a V flow pattern that is very wide so it doesnt blast anything. The flow is so wide and with the angle I have them at, I get flow on the bottom and on the top of the tank. Its almost like my tank is on a medium boil.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
jafoca

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to go with two hydor 1's

I found a place that hadn't jacked up prices and had them in stock. Also, apparantly the recall only applies to the 2 and 3 models, so the 1's are unaffected.

This should work out well, I will let you all know.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back