Need help choosing a skimmer with a very small footprint or hob

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ancient hob skimmer pump died last week and I've not been able to fully resurrect it so I've decided to just buy a new one.
Due to major size restrictions in my sump my choices are either a hob or in sump with a very small footprint no more than 4x5 or 5x5 .
The tank and sump/refugium is a mixed reef with over 135 lbs of live rock total over 100 lbs of live sand total macros, zoas, anemones, lps and sps. Livestock include two small clowns, 1 small foxface, 1 flame angel, 1 neon dottyback, 15 snails, 1 oyster/clam, and 7 hermit crabs.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a dead pump is the only problem with the old skimmer, getting a new pump is usually a great option. Can you tell us what kind of skimmer you have?

Also how large it the display?

OP
OP
serenade

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display is 65 gallons, the refugium is another 25. I started trying to find a replacement pump when I moved the tank. Unfortunately it's roughly 20 years old and I have no idea what kind it is. My refugium/sump doesn't have much space because of the way it's shaped with a solid piece of acrylic over where I would prefer the skimmer but that area is only 3x5 if I were to cut the top.
I have 6 to 6.5 inches of clearance behind the tank as well.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic?

An Aqua C Remora would be a great skimmer for that size of tank, and usually very possible to find used. It's also reasonably priced to buy new. It's also a great skimmer. :)

The Aqua C Urchin is the in-sump version of the Remora and it would probably fit your sump space....but it's not quite as popular as the Remora so harder to find used. Still a good deal new though.

OP
OP
serenade

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, after spending the past two days irritating my fish and corals trying to rearrange my sump section and purchasing two different pumps trying to make room I've come to the conclusion that there's no way I'll be able to fit a decent skimmer in my sump that will handlemy reef. So now I'm only looking at hob skimmers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say Urchin or Remora....did you look at the Urchin's measurement's in particular?

OP
OP
serenade

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up deciding to go with a reef octopus hob bh-2000, it'll be here next week so hopefully it'll work out good.
I've spent a lot of time reading reviews all over the web and talking to other reefers because I planned long term to increase the size of my refugium and possibly combine my two tanks filters I wanted something that could along with my other tanks back pack handle the load.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back