Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by mdbannister, May 8, 2015.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member

Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

Tags:
  2. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member

By the way, we have some awesome people on R2R who are experts on particular types of fish, and they are kind enough to share their knowledge with us! ...and since we have the cool tag function on R2R (click here if you're not sure how to tag), I thought it would be cool to list some people you will know you can call on if you have a question about a specific type of fish.

Wrasses: @evolved, @eatbreakfast

Seahorses: @SeahorseKeeper

Angels: Aquaph8

(more names will be added as we go)

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    TracyZ likes this.
  3. Aquapod

Aquapod New Member

Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!

Lowe likes this.
  4. soubhik

soubhik Active Member

hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
    Tank specifications
    L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
    Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
    I will have a modified two part dosing system.
    After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
    1. Bubble tip anemone
    2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
    3. Copper band butterfly
    4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
    5. After few months a yellow tang
    6. At the same time a powder blue tang
    7. After few months a Achilles tang
    8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
    before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.

Robert1234 likes this.
  5. maroun.c

maroun.c Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Partner Member

Welcome to R2R,
    75 G is kinda small to have some tangs in there, would focus maybe on a Kole tang (yellow eye is a very nice Fish IMHO) very nice personality and very active fish but tend to swim a bit less than other tangs and spends more time grazing on the rockwork... most Kole tangs I've had beehaved excellent except for the current one I have which tends to be a bit aggressive on other fish even in a 400G tank but nothing serious...

6. maroun.c

maroun.c Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Partner Member

Welcome to R2R
    Some very nice fish choices you have there but unfortunately tough ones. CBB is definitely not impossible but still a hard fish to get to eat and some do nip on some Softies, LPS or clams as you mention a reef setup.
    Moorish Idol is definitely a dream for many, a lot of reefers have successfully kept it but it takes a lot to get it to eat, now a Pair would be awesome if yuo get lucky with nice specimens. Very little is known on their activity as a pair in smaller tangs simply because very few managed to keep them alive long enough to observe long term compatibility issues not to mention that it was mostly a single specimen.
    Powder blue and Achilles have been done but it turns into a war where one of the fishes or both might be killed. you might get away with introducing them at the same time but eventually as they work out Hierarchy it can be a very stressful time for both fish where their immunity might succumb to stress or one might simply stress the other to hide and starve or directly kill it.
    Emperor angel is definitely a beauty yet it will overgrow your tank and also limit your coral plans to mostly SPS.
    Observing a fish in LFS for eating is definitely important yet quarantine, Deworming and careful management before introduction to DT is a must with some of your fish choices.
    Good luck with your plan and do start a build thread to document your experience and for other reefers to share input.

7. ben310135

ben310135 Well-Known Member

Right Fish or NOt ?

2 Purpleback pseudochromis
    Pepermint shrimp
    royal gramma
    Yellow Tang
    Firefish Goby
    Bicolor Angelfish
    Sixline Wrasse
    2 clownfish

Kelsseys likes this.
  8. crock921

crock921 Active Member

I am trying to come up with a stock list for a 150 I am taking from a friend. I know I want:
    a pair of occ clowns
    a BTA.
    Royal Gramma
    6 line wrasse

some sort of tang, be it yellow or blue hippo
    some sort of dwarf angel, either flame or coral beauty

He has a pair of cardinals he is giving me, and a sand sifting goby

Any other suggestions?
    It will be a mixed reef tank. I am looking for peaceful, and fairly reef safe. I know the wrasse is a gamble, but my last one was fine.

Thank in advance!

9. Scooba

Scooba New Member

I am in the process of purchasing the last few pieces for my tank and I wanted to also get started on working out a stock list for my tank.

The tank is a 75g. Obviously what I would like to put in the tank and what can go in there safely is two diff things. My list below is what I would like to have over the long term and def not right away.

Yellow Tang or Kole Tang
    2 x clowns (Black Ice / Snowflake clowns)

Firefish Goby
    Purple Firefish Goby
    Orchid Dottyback
    Blue Spotted Jawfish
    Yellow watchman
    Sixline Wrasse or MCCOSKER'S FLASHER WRASSE
    Flame Angel
    Pygmy Angelfish
    3 x Royal Gramma

Possible List
    2 x cardinalfish or Pajamas
    Group of Azure Damselfish

2 x Pistol Shrimp
    Blue Maxima Clam
    Bubble tip anemone

Live Aquaria Cleaner package
    Package Contains
    15 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
    15 Astraea Turbo Snails
    30 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
    1 Sally Lightfoot Crab or
    Fighting Conch
    1 Arrow Crab
    2 Emerald Crab
    3 Peppermint Shrimp
    1 Coral Banded Shrimp
    10 Nassarius Snails

Eventually - after 8+ months of pod seeding
    2 x Mandarin Dragonets's m/f

10. pickupman66

pickupman66 Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Im not a so called Expert, but I have been in this hobby long enought to have experiences with most of the fish on your list. I have made notes below on each of your additions.

I hope this all helps a bit. Best of luck to you.

Kelsseys likes this.
  11. mdbannister

In a 75g, you'll be limited on which tangs you can keep. I'd suggest a kole tang (or any in the bristletooth category) and maybe a yellow tang. A dwarf angel might be a good suggestion for a colorful addition, but those aren't always "reef safe" (some will nip at clams and lps)...they're kind of hit or miss. If you're looking for color, then here are some good community fish you could consider:

- royal gramma
    - firefish
    - midas blenny
    - flasher wrasses (only if you're going to cover your tank)
    - gobies and blennies

12. mdbannister

What size tank?

As long as the tank size is good, the only ones I'd be worried about are the sixline wrasse (those guys can get evil) and the 2 purpleback pseudochromis (I'd stick with 1).

13. mdbannister

Looks like you've got a good list going. I can offer a few suggestions or cautions:

- I'd definitely go with the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse over the sixline. The Flasher wrasse will have more color and be a better community member...sixlines have a reputation for turning into bullies.
    - I love flame angels, but it may come down to a choice between the flame angel and the clam (some flame angels nip at clams and LPS)...but it may work out that your flame angel is a model citizen
    - 3x royal grammas (I don't know if this would work because of them all being conspecifics...not sure if they'd all get along. Maybe someone with experience on keeping multiple RG's could weigh in)
    - azure damselfish will tend to end up bullying everything else. I'd avoid them completely.

HTH :)

Darbna likes this.
  14. soubhik

soubhik Active Member

thanks maroun for those kind advices ,i will keep those in mind and yes i will start a build thread as soon as i start thanks again

15. soubhik

soubhik Active Member

thanks Lindsey, i have recognized my mistake both powder blue and Achilles tang are of the same family,and there will be problem thanks to you and maroun both , i will have any one of those.
    I am planning to introduse the bta after 6 months of my tank installation by that time i think my parameters will be stable, its not photosynthetic the bta ? clf lights and pure blue atnic tubes wont be sufficient u suggest ?
    clown fish i can found a matted pair well and good if not i will try my own pair making.
    If all goes well by the time i will be able to add a copper band it will be well over 1 year , by that time wont be the pod population sufficient ? i will take that spices that is already accepting prepared food .
    i am worried and the real state area of the tank , if all settels down would it be enough for a adult emperor angel+Achilles tang+yellow tang+copper band+Moorish idol ?
    Thanks in advance

16. pickupman66

pickupman66 Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Anemonees need plenty of lights.the CFL bulbs are junk

17. saltyphish

saltyphish Certified Sand Groomer R2R Supporter Reef Squad

I would probably skip the Moorish idol. I have no personal experience with them but have read they are a expert only fish.

18. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

+1 They can be difficult to get eating and do not handle aggression well from other fish. They will sometimes "sulk" in a corner and refuse to eat after being bullied. Both the Emperor Angel & Achilles Tang could be a problem for a Moorish Idol.

19. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member

Purple pseudos are pretty mean fish and can make it difficult to add fish later. If your set on one, add it last but the royal gramma can be just as pretty purple color, little more cryptic than the pseudo though.

20. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member

Id stick with one mandarin in a 75 unless you have a pretty productive fuge