Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out by adding the two tangs (blue hippo and yellow) today, along with a flame angel.

I am planning on adding:
6 line wrasse
2x occ clowns
royal gramma
diamond wathcman goby
lawnmower blenny

cleaner shrimp
horseshoe crab
CUC snails

Are there any fish that school that I could add?

The tank is a 150, but is 6' long, so there is room for the free swimming.

TY in advance!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40B/20L sump. Current fish for the past 11 months are Royal Gramma, Bi-Colored Blenny and Banggai Cardinal. Newest addition, Yellow Watchman Goby. Possible re-homing Blenny due to his fondness of coral nipping.
I would like to add a Six Line Wrasse. What say you?! [emoji2]

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out by adding the two tangs (blue hippo and yellow) today, along with a flame angel.

I am planning on adding:
6 line wrasse
2x occ clowns
royal gramma
diamond wathcman goby
lawnmower blenny

cleaner shrimp
horseshoe crab
CUC snails

TY in advance!
You could do Chromis, Dartfish (they are jumpers, so watch out) or a type of cardinal fish

40B/20L sump. Current fish for the past 11 months are Royal Gramma, Bi-Colored Blenny and Banggai Cardinal. Newest addition, Yellow Watchman Goby. Possible re-homing Blenny due to his fondness of coral nipping.
Six-lines are great for pest control but I have heard that they can be little devils.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am planning on adding:
6 line wrasse
2x occ clowns
royal gramma
diamond wathcman goby
lawnmower blenny

cleaner shrimp
horseshoe crab
CUC snails

TY in advance!

Sixline wrasses and royal grammas may fight. Sixlines can be pretty aggressive, especially to fish added after them.

Horseshoe crabs are generally not a great reef addition. They grow large and rarely live to adult size in captivity.

Possible schooling/shoaling fish include Chromis viridis and C. atripectoralis, though some have had them whittle a group to 1 or 2 fish, this has not been my experience, zebra and scissortail dartfish, dispar and randall's anthias, as well as most cardinals, excluding bangaii's, which will only be a pr not a group in captivity.

As Shep mentioned sixlines can get a bit nasty.

fl2re

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with a 30g (36" long) and plan to upgrade to +180g in 4-5 months and move everything over.

Fish list:
-2 small clowns or 1 maroon
-1 yellow watchman goby and shrimp pair

2 questions though:
-I'd really like 1 maroon clown but I'm afraid of how aggressive they are. Should I risk it or just go with the 2 smaller clowns?
-I'd like to eventually get a lawnmower or starry-eyed blenny but will they be aggressive towards the goby and shrimp pair in a larger tank?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with a 30g (36" long) and plan to upgrade to +180g in 4-5 months and move everything over.

Fish list:

2 questions though:
-I'd really like 1 maroon clown but I'm afraid of how aggressive they are. Should I risk it or just go with the 2 smaller clowns?
-I'd like to eventually get a lawnmower or starry-eyed blenny but will they be aggressive towards the goby and shrimp pair in a larger tank?
I am not sure about the blenny question but maroon clowns are by far one of the most aggressive types you can have and in a 36g that could be a problem, I would say just go with a different type

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish list:

2 questions though:

There should not be any aggression from the blenny toward the goby. The blenny will want to spend most of its time on the rocks, whereas the goby will spend almost the entirety of its time on the sand.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Fish list:

2 questions though:
On the blenny question, I think you'd be fine. I don't see him being too aggressive. If you're worried about it at all, maybe just add him last.

Noob2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. This is my first post. After a year with my 5 gallon freshwater (no laughing please, it was for my little guys) ; ) I jumped in the deep end with a 90 gallon reef tank. The dimensions are 3x2x2. It was setup 6 days ago so I have a bit of time but I wanted to pair a couple clown fish. Maroon I think.... Looking for input please and I'll take any advice with appreciation as I'm new but very interested in my new hobby. I've read to introduce them at the same time and consider getting one slightly bigger than the other to minimize competition for dominance. I've also read that that may not be a good strategy for maroon clowns.
I'm running a sump with skimmer (not running during cycle), refugium with only miracle mud at this point and a good amount of live rock. Was told no water changes for approx 6 weeks or until I reach proper parameters. Only adding microbacter daily and topping off. I attached pic.

image.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. This is my first post. After a year with my 5 gallon freshwater (no laughing please, it was for my little guys) ; ) I jumped in the deep end with a 90 gallon reef tank. The dimensions are 3x2x2. It was setup 6 days ago so I have a bit of time but I wanted to pair a couple clown fish. Maroon I think.... Looking for input please and I'll take any advice with appreciation as I'm new but very interested in my new hobby. I've read to introduce them at the same time and consider getting one slightly bigger than the other to minimize competition for dominance. I've also read that that may not be a good strategy for maroon clowns.
I'm running a sump with skimmer (not running during cycle), refugium with only miracle mud at this point and a good amount of live rock. Was told no water changes for approx 6 weeks or until I reach proper parameters. Only adding microbacter daily and topping off. I attached pic.

Maroons are the most, or second most aggressive clownfish species. They can limit future additions as well, but if you really want maroons try getting them both as small as possible at the same time and that have been kept together at the LFS.

soubhik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
can i have achilles tang and purpel tang together in there with yellow tang ?
another quest is how do u guys maintain color of coris wrasse and melanurus wrasse ? i came to know they tend to go drab over time ?
thanks in advance

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs will generally feud with other tangs of the same body shape. it will also depend on which one you put in first. this is a good sized tank so if you provide plenty of "hiding spots" in your rock work, you should be fine (imo). as to the wrasses, they do change color as they go into adulthood, but, a good variety of foods is always a good plan. also, the product SELCON dripped onto your food before feeding also imo, seems to bring out the coloring.BTW, "magic mud" is great stuff for your refugium. be aware if you have not added it yet that it will cloud up your system for a while. when I added it , I turned off my return pump for a few hours until it settled, but you may have a better way so this is just FYI. good luck and I know you will be fascinated with this hobby!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
can i have achilles tang and purpel tang together in there with yellow tang ?
another quest is how do u guys maintain color of coris wrasse and melanurus wrasse ? i came to know they tend to go drab over time ?
thanks in advance

In a tank your size, the 3 tangs should work. The Achilles is the most aggressive of the 3, so add him last. Also, using a social acclimation box can help lessen aggression toward new additions, though with tangs there will be a noticeable hierarchy.

Keeping color on wrasses can be helped by keeping other wrasses with them, although in some species, such as with melanurus some regions have more colorful specimens. A varied diet along with plenty of hiding places help them feel "comfortable".

soubhik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks TJ and kevin another question i would like to ask can i keep fairy wrasse and melanurus with fire fish , and i would also like to throw copperband , Morris idol and emperor angel into the mix.
thanks in advance

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks TJ and kevin another question i would like to ask can i keep fairy wrasse and melanurus with fire fish , and i would also like to throw copperband , Morris idol and emperor angel into the mix.
thanks in advance

All of those fish should work, although moorish idols and copperband butterflies can be quite difficult to get acclimated to captive life.

Of those fish the firefish should be added first, as the other fish are more assertive and larger. A fairy wrasse will work with a melanurus, but try and add the fairy wrasse first or simultaneously with the melanurus.

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here is what I am working with:
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 vlamingi tang

1 melanarus wrasse
1 flame angel

1 orange spotted or diamond goby (really not sure because the thing is hiding)
1 yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol (both are tiny)
1 cleaner shrimp

Was thinking about adding a few firefish to get them to shoal a bit, along with 2 clowns and a royal gramma.

tank is 150g 6' long. Everyone seems happy ATM. It is a mixed reef tank with a sump.

Will/should this work? I have about 120 lbs of sand and way over 100 lbs of rock. ammonia is 0. don't have a phosphate tester.

Back