Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why that would be a problem, just be careful because sometimes firefish do not get along in groups.

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why that would be a problem, just be careful because sometimes firefish do not get along in groups.

The guy at the store told me that they are a great choice for schooling/shoaling as long as they are in odd numbers. Guess I have more research to do. He is selling them for $6!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the store told me that they are a great choice for schooling/shoaling as long as they are in odd numbers. Guess I have more research to do. He is selling them for $6!
Hmmmm I have not really heard that but I would double check

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not have a vlamingi in a 150 G tank even with 6' length.
it will grow very big very fast.
Few firefish and getting them to shoal that I have to see, getting a couple to pair and swim together is enough of a challenge with these.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Clown Fish, a Blue Hippo Tang, a Yellow Tang, a Flame Angel & a Coral Beauty in a 90 gal. All are smallish 3 inches or less, & I would like to add an Emporor Angel as my last fish. I understand those get big but will remove it when needed. None of the fish I have now bother my corals. Thoughts? Thanx in advance. Chop

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Clown Fish, a Blue Hippo Tang, a Yellow Tang, a Flame Angel & a Coral Beauty in a 90 gal. All are smallish 3 inches or less, & I would like to add an Emporor Angel as my last fish. I understand those get big but will remove it when needed. None of the fish I have now bother my corals. Thoughts? Thanx in advance. Chop
I would not add the Emperor, thats a lot of fish for a 90g and there's no point in buying a fish you'll have to get rid of soon. As far as them getting along, I am not sure.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here is what I am working with:
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 vlamingi tang

1 melanarus wrasse
1 flame angel

1 orange spotted or diamond goby (really not sure because the thing is hiding)
1 yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol (both are tiny)
1 cleaner shrimp

Was thinking about adding a few firefish to get them to shoal a bit, along with 2 clowns and a royal gramma.

tank is 150g 6' long. Everyone seems happy ATM. It is a mixed reef tank with a sump.

Will/should this work? I have about 120 lbs of sand and way over 100 lbs of rock. ammonia is 0. don't have a phosphate tester.

That list looks pretty good. The only area where I see possible trouble is if you get a group of firefish. Although they are found in large groups in the wild, in captivity they are quite intolerant with one another. A group in aquaria will in relatively short order whittle down to one or two fish. Even purchasing two with a goal to have a pr is not always successful as males are intolerant of males and females are intolerant of other females and sexing them is near impossible.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of the fish you currently have the dwarf angels are reef safe with caution, meaning they may or may not bother coral, and so far in your tank they haven't. Emperor angels on the other hand are not considered reef safe. While there are a few types of corals they may not eat, they are much, much more likely to eat coral, and not where the corals will be irritated, but will completelt wipe them out.

Knowing that a fish will outgrow your tank is fine as long as you are prepared to take adequate measures by either getting a larger tank or finding another home for it.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch the Emperor Angel, thanx guys
Always good to see people take good advise and modify their fish list for the well being of their fish!

crock921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down with firefish, thx. I inherited the vlamingi, and he has been in here for years

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60" 120 gallon tank (60x18x26 to be exact).

I will have a Yellow Tang in there, and I really would like a Hippo Tang, would that work? I know everyone says it MUST have a 72" tank, but in the scheme of things is 6" on each end going to make or break the success?

If the Hippo is a no, then I guess I'll look at the Bristletooth Tomini to go with the Yellow.

Or I could skip the Tangs all together and get a pair of Spotbreast Angels.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60" 120 gallon tank (60x18x26 to be exact).

I will have a Yellow Tang in there, and I really would like a Hippo Tang, would that work? I know everyone says it MUST have a 72" tank, but in the scheme of things is 6" on each end going to make or break the success?

If the Hippo is a no, then I guess I'll look at the Bristletooth Tomini to go with the Yellow.

Or I could skip the Tangs all together and get a pair of Spotbreast Angels.

The hippo tang would be fine for sometime, but ultimately will be to large for your tank's dimensions. Toping out at a foot 18" front to back does not leave much maneuvering space, especially with rockwork.

The tomini should be fine, but tangs can get pretty aggressive toward one another. Utilizing a social acclimation box for introduction should help.

If you decide to go with the angels, they would be fine.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I have a 93g cube (30x30x24) with very minimalist aquascape, lots of swimming room and a few hiding spots, a good overhang on one side.

Current stocking for fish consists of a Mandarin Dragonet, a Canary Wrasse, a Solon Fairy Wrasse, and an Ornate Leopard Wrasse. All eat prepared foods without issue and are fat and healthy.

Stocking for corals is euphyllia-only, I have about 12 frags, and plan to add about 6 more pieces. Will eventually want to add a clam or two, not sure but maybe a starfish, probably not any shrimp, and maybe an urchin? But other than the clams, those are all big maybe's... Of course have the usual assortment of snails, two little scarlet hermits, and microfauna on the rock.

I would like to add three more fish:

Copperband Butterflyfish

Flame Angelfish

Purple Tang

I will make sure the CBB is eating well before taking it home, my LFS is really good with doing that and trained my Mandarin to eat mysis.

Opinions? Any other suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copperband and the flame angel may nip at clams, other than that are ok with the rest of your inhabitants.

You already have wrasses so my other favorite for a minimilist aquascape is a small group of social fish that will really utilize the open space, perhaps dispar or randalls anthias or a group of cardinals.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about anthias, but I think the tank is too small to have a large enough group and I'm not able to feed frozen more than once a day so I think there would be aggression.

Tell me more about a group of cardinals... How many, and could I still get the other fish I want?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals in general hang out in an open area, but don't swim around too actively. Blue eyes stay in a group very well, aereus get larger and have more color than blue eyes. Orange striped cardinals are smaller and pj cardinals are just bizarre looking. Personally, I like 5 or more with social fish.

With 5 of any of those species you will still be able to get the other fish you want.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a little on the small side for a tang but with lots of swimming room it might be ok, the flame from what I hear can develope a taste for corals.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm aware of the flame potentially picking at corals. Heard that about CBB and euphyllia too. But I think I'll take my chances...

eatbreakfast, I notice you didn't mention Banggai cardinals... Is there a reason for that?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm aware of the flame potentially picking at corals. Heard that about CBB and euphyllia too. But I think I'll take my chances...

eatbreakfast, I notice you didn't mention Banggai cardinals... Is there a reason for that?
Although social in the wild, in aquaria a pr forms and kills any other bangaiis.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back