Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list is good, although zoas and palys are high on the list of corals that flame angels pick at.

Neither of the gobies on your list will bury anything with sand, that is a trait of a group of gobies known as sleeper or sifter gobies.

There will be zero aggression between your gobies because they each occupy different niches in the tank.

Marlin_theClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon nano tank with a yellow tail damsel, four hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp, any advice on any other fish and inverts I could add? I really want a small clown but from my understanding they shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 30 gallon, is this true or could I get away with it if the clown was small?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon nano tank with a yellow tail damsel, four hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp, any advice on any other fish and inverts I could add? I really want a small clown but from my understanding they shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 30 gallon, is this true or could I get away with it if the clown was small?
With a damsel adding another fish will be tricky.

Possible inverts include cleaner or blood shrimp, porcelain crab or periclemines shrimp.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 60" 120 gallon (currently no fish, but making a stocking list)

Can I add a trio of Blue Gudgeon Gobies with a Purple Firefish? They are 2 different families (Nemateleotris & Ptereleotris).

I think it'll be ok, but wanted to make sure the firefish would work with them. Blue is about the only color I am missing from my stocking :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 60" 120 gallon (currently no fish, but making a stocking list)

Can I add a trio of Blue Gudgeon Gobies with a Purple Firefish? They are 2 different families (Nemateleotris & Ptereleotris).

I think it'll be ok, but wanted to make sure the firefish would work with them. Blue is about the only color I am missing from my stocking :)
Actually they are in the same Family but different Genera.

Firefish and dartfish make excellent tankmates as they are both very peaceful. They may even share the same dart hole.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now should I look at getting 5 or 6 of the blue gudgeon dartfish instead of 3?

I've toyed with getting a pair of firefish, but was recommended only get 1 firefish per tank and make sure the tank is covered (mine is, as I have a canopy).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now should I look at getting 5 or 6 of the blue gudgeon dartfish instead of 3?

I've toyed with getting a pair of firefish, but was recommended only get 1 firefish per tank and make sure the tank is covered (mine is, as I have a canopy).
Blue gudgeons can be skittish so a larger number will help them be bolder. 3 is fine, but 6 is better.

The advice to get a single firefish and have a covered tank is sound advice.

jhast0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for anyone out there. I have a 14 gal biocube (LOVE IT) my corals are going great! Current residents are a diamond watchman golby, skunk and peppermint shrimp. I've tried adding a clown fish two different times, the first lasted 2 months and the other a week, (but he wasn't acting right and didn't make it out of quarantine). My param's are good my nitrates stay around 0-20 but other than that things are great, and like I said my corals are growing great and multiplying like crazy but for some reason I can't seem to keep a clown alive. Any ideas? Also my Sw is .025. Thanks for any help and suggestions! God Bless

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I have a ten gallon IM fusion tank and its a euphyllia dominated tank I've got a very small tail spot Benny and a decent sized six line wrasse he's very relaxed and never fights with the Benny

Anyways I've really been wanting to add a clown and I found a really nice small sized maroon clown so what do you guys think could I make it work if I take precautions when I add him?

Pagey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys!! So awesome that people with good experience are willing to give their time to provide some guidance. HUGE thanks in advance.
First the tank. Roughly 400Gal system with roughly 315Gal inside the MT.
Aimed at SPS so high light (Custom LED system controlled by Apex 0-10v) and high flow. At this stage I have plans for one Maxspect Gyre 150 but there is always room for two!
Final%20Tank%20Dims%202_zpskrrt4mln.jpeg

Scape will be peninsula design stacked up the overflow end, viewable on three sides so it will be focused down the middle of the tank with swimming room on either side and almost a full 1/3 of the tank down the end will be free swimming room (Probably for a Squamosa). There will be 11.5inches or 290-300mm between the top of the scape at it's highest point and the water level for coral/fish.

Please have a look at this list:
FISH:
Pseudanthias Pleurotaenia (My partner is getting involved and she really wants this fish. I have heard mixed reports about harems vs single males)
Pterapogon kauderni
Amphiprion Ocellaris Darwini 2 or 3 or 4? + Carpet Nem from their wild habitat (There is a licenced collector and I live in Darwin! :) :) :) )
Nemateleotris decora (Probably single unless I can find a pre-made pair)
Cirripectes stigmaticus
So far I think I am ok and here is where it gets interesting.
Pictichromis paccagnellae (Not sure about having this and Gramma melacara together even in a tank this size?)
Gramma melacara (Again as above)

Then I want to introduce a harem of a single species of wrasse to achieve full colour on a male. Just one species and these are the ones I am considering. Leaning towards jordani because both males and females look rocking...
Cirrhilabrus jordani HAREM
or
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia HAREM
or
Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis HAREM
I would like suggestions on female numbers. I'd be happy to go up to 4 females?

I would also really love the following two fish. They will also be introduced absolutely last of all. This is probably where things will get interesting!!!
Holacanthus clarionensis (I can even source captive bred juveniles!)
Paracanthurus Hepatus (Again because of the girlfriend but if I am honest I do love these fish)

Filtration will be:
Skimmer - NP BioPellets - Carbon - GFO.
Chemistry will be a combo of
3 part Cal+Alk+Mag run by dosing pumps in combination with Kalkwasser Top Off. I will just have to dial in the mix as I go.

I also plan to run an Apex on the system to control lights, monitor pH, salinity and temps so hopefully I can dial in the system to be quite stable.
I will do my best to run the Kalk at night but if need be I have room in my sump to run macro and alternating light schedules to keep pH as stable as possible.

The first of my two biggest concerns is having Pictichromis paccagnellae and Gramma melacara together.
The second is Pseudanthias Pleurotaenia straight out. Harem or single male? I can source very healthy specimens, this fish would go in first and I would allow it as much time as it (or they) wanted to settle in no problem.
Secondary to that I think that Holacanthus clarionensis and Paracanthurus Hepatus only if I think I can kerb aggression by introducing them young and possibly even say a year or so after every other introduction to allow time for the other inhabitants to settle. Would you think that way the Angel and the Tang would grow up accepting that they share a space with the other fish?

Pagey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies guys. I actually just had a conversation with a reefer I respect a lot (The guy who holds the wild collection licence actually) and he said his experience with Holacanthus clarionensis in a public aquarium he used to work at was that they were boisterous, not coral/clam safe and that he recommended FOWLR tanks for them with fish of similar size.
So scratch them off the list... as amazing as they are!
Who thought Angelfish were mean????!!

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for anyone out there. I have a 14 gal biocube (LOVE IT) my corals are going great! Current residents are a diamond watchman golby, skunk and peppermint shrimp. I've tried adding a clown fish two different times, the first lasted 2 months and the other a week, (but he wasn't acting right and didn't make it out of quarantine). My param's are good my nitrates stay around 0-20 but other than that things are great, and like I said my corals are growing great and multiplying like crazy but for some reason I can't seem to keep a clown alive. Any ideas? Also my Sw is .025. Thanks for any help and suggestions! God Bless
A diamond goby will eventually outgrow the biocube, they reach 7", so a heads up there.

As far as the clowns go, I don't have enough info. The one that only lasted a week doesn't surprise me, as sometimes clowns just don't come in well. The one that lasted a month is a little more puzzling. Once they settle in captivity they are usually quite hardy. Had there been large temp swings? How often do you feed? What were it's symptoms before it perished?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys!! So awesome that people with good experience are willing to give their time to provide some guidance. HUGE thanks in advance.
First the tank. Roughly 400Gal system with roughly 315Gal inside the MT.
Aimed at SPS so high light (Custom LED system controlled by Apex 0-10v) and high flow. At this stage I have plans for one Maxspect Gyre 150 but there is always room for two!
Final%20Tank%20Dims%202_zpskrrt4mln.jpeg

Scape will be peninsula design stacked up the overflow end, viewable on three sides so it will be focused down the middle of the tank with swimming room on either side and almost a full 1/3 of the tank down the end will be free swimming room (Probably for a Squamosa). There will be 11.5inches or 290-300mm between the top of the scape at it's highest point and the water level for coral/fish.

Please have a look at this list:
FISH:
Pseudanthias Pleurotaenia (My partner is getting involved and she really wants this fish. I have heard mixed reports about harems vs single males)
Pterapogon kauderni
Amphiprion Ocellaris Darwini 2 or 3 or 4? + Carpet Nem from their wild habitat (There is a licenced collector and I live in Darwin! :) :) :) )
Nemateleotris decora (Probably single unless I can find a pre-made pair)
Cirripectes stigmaticus
So far I think I am ok and here is where it gets interesting.
Pictichromis paccagnellae (Not sure about having this and Gramma melacara together even in a tank this size?)
Gramma melacara (Again as above)

Then I want to introduce a harem of a single species of wrasse to achieve full colour on a male. Just one species and these are the ones I am considering. Leaning towards jordani because both males and females look rocking...
Cirrhilabrus jordani HAREM
or
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia HAREM
or
Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis HAREM
I would like suggestions on female numbers. I'd be happy to go up to 4 females?

I would also really love the following two fish. They will also be introduced absolutely last of all. This is probably where things will get interesting!!!
Holacanthus clarionensis (I can even source captive bred juveniles!)
Paracanthurus Hepatus (Again because of the girlfriend but if I am honest I do love these fish)

Filtration will be:
Skimmer - NP BioPellets - Carbon - GFO.
Chemistry will be a combo of
3 part Cal+Alk+Mag run by dosing pumps in combination with Kalkwasser Top Off. I will just have to dial in the mix as I go.

I also plan to run an Apex on the system to control lights, monitor pH, salinity and temps so hopefully I can dial in the system to be quite stable.
I will do my best to run the Kalk at night but if need be I have room in my sump to run macro and alternating light schedules to keep pH as stable as possible.

The first of my two biggest concerns is having Pictichromis paccagnellae and Gramma melacara together.
The second is Pseudanthias Pleurotaenia straight out. Harem or single male? I can source very healthy specimens, this fish would go in first and I would allow it as much time as it (or they) wanted to settle in no problem.
Secondary to that I think that Holacanthus clarionensis and Paracanthurus Hepatus only if I think I can kerb aggression by introducing them young and possibly even say a year or so after every other introduction to allow time for the other inhabitants to settle. Would you think that way the Angel and the Tang would grow up accepting that they share a space with the other fish?
Apologies guys. I actually just had a conversation with a reefer I respect a lot (The guy who holds the wild collection licence actually) and he said his experience with Holacanthus clarionensis in a public aquarium he used to work at was that they were boisterous, not coral/clam safe and that he recommended FOWLR tanks for them with fish of similar size.
So scratch them off the list... as amazing as they are!
Who thought Angelfish were mean????!!

You sound really well prepared and it looks well thought out, so that's a great start.

The Pseudanthias pleurotarnia will work as a harem in your size tank. I recommend 1 male to 3-4 females. I encourage getting the male first, they don't handle shipping well, once he settles add the females simultaneously. If the male has not settled the dominant female may try to usurp his position.

The gramma and dottyback should be able to coexist fine in your tank. Try to add them simultaneously or as close as possible so that one of them does not claim the whole tank as it's own.

Cirrhilabrus wrasses are a beautiful addition to a reef. However, if going for a harem in aquaria, females will often transition to males then fight with the established male. They may be able to coexist in your tank. Males of other species are generally a little more tolerant of each other rather than males of the same species. If you decide to go with the harem, of the species you listed, go with C. jordani, the other species are more aggressive.

Many only recommend a Paracanthurus hepatus for an 8ft long tank, but your overall dimensions should allow it.

Although you have already made up your mind regarding the Holacanthus clarionensis, they are generally sps safe, but clams, lps and zoas are fair game.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I have a ten gallon IM fusion tank and its a euphyllia dominated tank I've got a very small tail spot Benny and a decent sized six line wrasse he's very relaxed and never fights with the Benny

Anyways I've really been wanting to add a clown and I found a really nice small sized maroon clown so what do you guys think could I make it work if I take precautions when I add him?
Maroon clowns get big and mean. I would not consider one for a 10g tank with other fish.

An occellaris or percula will work in that size tank, but if you are keeping the sixline try putting a mirror up to the tank to distract him, but even so be prepared to remove one if there is too much aggression.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be working, but drafted up a stocking list for the 120 (5' long). This, I suspect, will change, but it's a start.

Occelaris Clowns - (2)
Coral Beauty - Still debating on this one, but for a while will be fish only as the parameters get more stable.
Midas Blenny
Bi-Color Blenny
Purple Firefish
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish - Group of 6
Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby, paird with Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp - (2)
Peppermint Shrimp

My calculations are about 80" of fish. And I have about every color in the rainbow. Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Red, Pink. Only color I'm missing is Green, Black and White. Got a mix of omnivores, herbivores and carnivores. And it's probably about as many fish as I can put in it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be working, but drafted up a stocking list for the 120 (5' long). This, I suspect, will change, but it's a start.

Occelaris Clowns - (2)
Coral Beauty - Still debating on this one, but for a while will be fish only as the parameters get more stable.
Midas Blenny
Bi-Color Blenny
Purple Firefish
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish - Group of 6
Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby, paird with Pistol Shrimp
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp - (2)
Peppermint Shrimp

My calculations are about 80" of fish. And I have about every color in the rainbow. Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Red, Pink. Only color I'm missing is Green, Black and White. Got a mix of omnivores, herbivores and carnivores. And it's probably about as many fish as I can put in it.
Those fish should all be compatible.

There may be a degree of aggression between the blennies and between the tangs, but nothing too worrisome.

Scrap the idea of a particular amount of inches of fish per gallon, that is one of the worst myths in the hobby.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrap the idea of a particular amount of inches of fish per gallon, that is one of the worst myths in the hobby.

X2.

4" of tang is far more of a bio load than 4" goby... potentially 3-4x the load...

Pagey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound really well prepared and it looks well thought out, so that's a great start.

The Pseudanthias pleurotarnia will work as a harem in your size tank. I recommend 1 male to 3-4 females. I encourage getting the male first, they don't handle shipping well, once he settles add the females simultaneously. If the male has not settled the dominant female may try to usurp his position.

The gramma and dottyback should be able to coexist fine in your tank. Try to add them simultaneously or as close as possible so that one of them does not claim the whole tank as it's own.

Cirrhilabrus wrasses are a beautiful addition to a reef. However, if going for a harem in aquaria, females will often transition to males then fight with the established male. They may be able to coexist in your tank. Males of other species are generally a little more tolerant of each other rather than males of the same species. If you decide to go with the harem, of the species you listed, go with C. jordani, the other species are more aggressive.

Many only recommend a Paracanthurus hepatus for an 8ft long tank, but your overall dimensions should allow it.

Although you have already made up your mind regarding the Holacanthus clarionensis, they are generally sps safe, but clams, lps and zoas are fair game.

**Edit - I did read something about Pseudanthias pleurotarnia struggling in high light tanks. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Thanks very much eat breakfast.
Encouraging comments about Pseudanthias pleurotarnia.. I have a QT system in place so if I staggered introduction of the male/females there would be at least a 3-4 week gap I would suggest. More if it is recommended quite easily.
With regards to the Cirrhilabrus I absolutely did not know that. I have had such problems with aggression in the past and to be honest I just couldn't go down that path again, hence the question with gramma and dottyback. Looks like a single male could be on the cards.
With regards to the clarionensis I've never kept a clam and I really want to keep both a clam and a zoa garden of sorts so I just can't see one working out for me.
Again thank you very much for the feedback and I will put more thought to both the Pseudanthias and the Cirrhilabrus..

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Edit - I did read something about Pseudanthias pleurotarnia struggling in high light tanks. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Thanks very much eat breakfast.
Encouraging comments about Pseudanthias pleurotarnia.. I have a QT system in place so if I staggered introduction of the male/females there would be at least a 3-4 week gap I would suggest. More if it is recommended quite easily.
With regards to the Cirrhilabrus I absolutely did not know that. I have had such problems with aggression in the past and to be honest I just couldn't go down that path again, hence the question with gramma and dottyback. Looks like a single male could be on the cards.
With regards to the clarionensis I've never kept a clam and I really want to keep both a clam and a zoa garden of sorts so I just can't see one working out for me.
Again thank you very much for the feedback and I will put more thought to both the Pseudanthias and the Cirrhilabrus..
In a high light tank a male P. pleurataenia may take a little longer to acclimate, but if you qt and he starts to expect food when he sees you bright lighting should not be an issue. Also, a male kept singly in bright lighting may experience paler coloration, but if kept with subordinate females will maintain it's coloring. Females are unaffected by light intensity.

The difference of a couple weeks should be all that is needed to get the male settled.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back