Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

iratherBfishing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 week old acrylic 55 gallon tank. And I have 3 Damsels a blue tang 2inches and two clown fish. So I want to know can I keep a sea horse?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 week old acrylic 55 gallon tank. And I have 3 Damsels a blue tang 2inches and two clown fish. So I want to know can I keep a sea horse?
No, you will not be able to keep them in that set up.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that. If you don't mind me asking
They need a tank set up just for them. They do not do well with anything aggressive and need lower flow I believe. Plus they need multiply feedings a day.

Mark...

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6-7 inch mimic brown tang in a 180g. What other tang would work without a war? Other inhabitants are 3 Cardinals, chromis, 2 clowns, diamond goby, 2 dart fish and a flame angel. Tank is mixed reef. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6-7 inch mimic brown tang in a 180g. What other tang would work without a war? Other inhabitants are 3 Cardinals, chromis, 2 clowns, diamond goby, 2 dart fish and a flame angel. Tank is mixed reef. Thanks!
There will be a degree of aggression no matter what, it's the nature of tangs, but it doesn't necessarily prevent adding another.

Selecting a tang from another genus will lessen the aggression. The mimicas an Acanthurus, so selecting a Zebrasoma such as a yellow or sailfin or a Ctenochaetus, such as a kole or tomini.

Using a social acclimation box to introduce a new tang for a couple of days also helps.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice you told a few people that a Kole Tang might work in a 75 gallon. But what about a Tomini Tang? They stay a little smaller than a Kole Tang.

iratherBfishing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but why limit your self. I traded in a lion fish and I see him when I go to the pet shop I even feel bad lol and I feel like buying him back

willertac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g with no inhabitants yet. I was offered 2 pairs of aggressive damsels, but now, after seeing how hard it is to even get close to catching them, I'm not sure I want them anymore. I want to go with less aggressive damsels so I'm going to have yellow tails. I saw a Pink Damsel at the store today, and online I've gotten mixed messages on its temperament. I've seen firsthand that the yellow tails are more peaceful than the others, but I've got no experience with the pinks, (or any other "peaceful" damsel that you may suggest to me :p) could you help me out?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g with no inhabitants yet. I was offered 2 pairs of aggressive damsels, but now, after seeing how hard it is to even get close to catching them, I'm not sure I want them anymore. I want to go with less aggressive damsels so I'm going to have yellow tails. I saw a Pink Damsel at the store today, and online I've gotten mixed messages on its temperament. I've seen firsthand that the yellow tails are more peaceful than the others, but I've got no experience with the pinks, (or any other "peaceful" damsel that you may suggest to me :p) could you help me out?
Damsels in the genus Chrysiptera are generally more peaceful. There are pink ones with yellow head that is a talbot's damsel, a blue one with a yellowtail that is C. parasemena, a blue with yellow belly that is C. hemicyanea, a blue with yellow tail and yellow ventral fins that is C. arnazae and a black and white striped one that is C. tricincta. All of these are excellent choices and are peaceful for damsels, though they will defend "their" space.

Be aware that there are a couple of other species of blue damsel that have yellow bellies in another genus, Pomacentrus, that are commonly sold and not as peaceful.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"One" good thing about just about all damsels is that they can be caught in a fish trap more easily than say a tang, angel, butterfly or most other fish. Their belligerent behavior makes them want to dart into a trap for food before any other fish can get it. You may even catch a few at a time if you have to get them out. Most damsels have some annoying traits which is why many "seasoned" hobbiests do not keep them except for clowns, which are also not very friendly at times.
All damsels will easily spawn if they are fed correctly and they get more nasty when they are in spawning mode which is their normal mode. This blue devil is over his nest of eggs Circa 1972

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back