Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are firefish known to hide out the first few days in a new tank?

I got one yesterday, floated him for 20 minutes, and did a drip acclimation for an hour. Got him in the tank and he darted around a bit. Left the lights off for about four hours and turned them on. About and hour or so being in the tank he just seems to lightly swim forward in one area in front of where the protein skimmer is. I put some food in and he swam to it. Then later on he was in the same area lightly swimming forward every few second and then being pulled back towards the bay that the protein skimmer is. I checked on him this morning and I guess he was hiding out. Couldn't find him.

Is this typical behavior? This is my first fish in the tank, so not sure what's abnormal.

Thanks everyone!
Firefish are known to hide out for a few weeks in a new tank. They can be very skittish.

Not sure I like that he was swimming by your skimmer... that could be a sign of some health problems.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are known to hide out for a few weeks in a new tank. They can be very skittish.

Not sure I like that he was swimming by your skimmer... that could be a sign of some health problems.

What else should I look for? He was just kind of quickly bumping himself forward, but wasn't really leaving that vicinity until I dropped some
food in. Beautiful fish though.
IMG_1479490780.581379.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal behavior, especially with no other fish in the tank. Not seeing other fish is a sign that a predator is near, so fish will often hide when they are the only one in the tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else should I look for? He was just kind of quickly bumping himself forward, but wasn't really leaving that vicinity until I dropped some
food in. Beautiful fish though.
IMG_1479490780.581379.jpg
They are beautiful. I tried to get a group through quarantine and just couldn't do it. In my opinion they are easily stressed which opens them up to all sorts of diseases. Once established in an aquarium and comfortable, they seem to do great.
Swimming into a flow source can be a sign that they have a parasite that affects the gills, such as ich or velvet. When you get a chance to observe him just monitor his activity. Look for white spots or other discoloration. If you do see any symptoms like this, or he continues to swim into flow sources, I would recommended creating a new thread in the fish disease forum.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful. I tried to get a group through quarantine and just couldn't do it. In my opinion they are easily stressed which opens them up to all sorts of diseases. Once established in an aquarium and comfortable, they seem to do great.
Swimming into a flow source can be a sign that they have a parasite that affects the gills, such as ich or velvet. When you get a chance to observe him just monitor his activity. Look for white spots or other discoloration. If you do see any symptoms like this, or he continues to swim into flow sources, I would recommended creating a new thread in the fish disease forum.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Man, after reading about ich, I really hope it's not that with my first ever fish. I'll keep an eye on the white spots.

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a clown trigger but...

I know they can be aggressive. Would it be an ok risk to get a smaller one as the last fished added to my tank? This is a FOWLR so not worried about it nipping at corals.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a clown trigger but...

I know they can be aggressive. Would it be an ok risk to get a smaller one as the last fished added to my tank? This is a FOWLR so not worried about it nipping at corals.
I've seen some clown triggers that aren't that bad. Your plan is fine.

V4Vendetta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 60g tank and would like some advice on my stocking list.

4 clowns (2black/white , 2snowflake) would this cause a problem?
1 red bandtail waspfish
2 radial filefish (mated)
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 banded coral shrimp
1 green banded goby
+ mostly lps and little sps and softies

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 red bandtail waspfish
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 banded coral shrimp
1 green banded goby
If the clowns are young, then they will be fine together. If they are introduced when more mature, then there is a chance they will fight. The rest of the list is fine.

Joybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish question: we have an oscelaris (spelling?) clownfish that came with our tank when we bought it. It had bern in the tank at least four years prior. Now we're upgrading to a bigger tank and my kids are dying to add a black clown. If I were to get a young black clown and it and the older clown to the new tank at the same time, do you think there's any chance they'd get along? I was thinking along the lines of some other species that tend to fight fish if the same color, so maybe the black one would have a better chance? These clowns live for so long; I don't want to have to wait another ten years to get a pair if I don't have to!

Edited to add: upgrading to a 65 gallon tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns are young, then they will be fine together. If they are introduced when more mature, then there is a chance they will fight. The rest of the list is fine.
I wish I had known that!

I have 2 small Ocellarus clowns in my 120g tank. If I can find 2 small black and white clowns could I add them? Will they still be okay a year from now when they are older if they grow up in the same tank?

V4Vendetta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 red bandtail waspfish
1 blood red fire shrimp
1 banded coral shrimp
1 green banded goby
Am I just about at the maximum stock limit or do I have room for few more fishes for my tank size?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a red dragonet in my IM 30L. I'm currently loaded with pods and he is the only pod eater I currently have. I would like to add a diamond spot goby. Would this be to much competition for pods in this size tank? I'm sure the goby will focus on pods in the sand and the dragonet cruises sand and rock. Advice is needed as I don't want anyone going hungry

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a red dragonet in my IM 30L. I'm currently loaded with pods and he is the only pod eater I currently have. I would like to add a diamond spot goby. Would this be to much competition for pods in this size tank? I'm sure the goby will focus on pods in the sand and the dragonet cruises sand and rock. Advice is needed as I don't want anyone going hungry
I'm impressed you can keep a pod population up with a dragonet. Do you run a large refugium?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm impressed you can keep a pod population up with a dragonet. Do you run a large refugium?

No I don't. Have a basket fuge in the back My tank is an AIO. live rock and sand

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish question: we have an oscelaris (spelling?) clownfish that came with our tank when we bought it. It had bern in the tank at least four years prior. Now we're upgrading to a bigger tank and my kids are dying to add a black clown. If I were to get a young black clown and it and the older clown to the new tank at the same time, do you think there's any chance they'd get along? I was thinking along the lines of some other species that tend to fight fish if the same color, so maybe the black one would have a better chance? These clowns live for so long; I don't want to have to wait another ten years to get a pair if I don't have to!

Edited to add: upgrading to a 65 gallon tank.
As long as the new one is a male or a juvenile, adding it will not be a problem. If you can find them sold as a group, getting a smaller one can ensure this.
I wish I had known that!

I have 2 small Ocellarus clowns in my 120g tank. If I can find 2 small black and white clowns could I add them? Will they still be okay a year from now when they are older if they grow up in the same tank?
Even if they are an adult pr, multiple ocellaris/percula prs can be housed in a 120.
Flame Angel or coral beauty with a watanabe Angel?
Either will be fine, they don't provide much competition with one another.
Am I just about at the maximum stock limit or do I have room for few more fishes for my tank size?
Each tank is different. You should be fine, but add slowly and test parameters frequently.
Diamond gobies don't actively hunt pods, but focus on the microfauna in the sand. They aren't competition for each other, though diamond gobies do get fairly large and may deplete the microfauna and outgrow a 30g.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the new one is a male or a juvenile, adding it will not be a problem. If you can find them sold as a group, getting a smaller one can ensure this.

Even if they are an adult pr, multiple ocellaris/percula prs can be housed in a 120.

Either will be fine, they don't provide much competition with one another.

Each tank is different. You should be fine, but add slowly and test parameters frequently.

Diamond gobies don't actively hunt pods, but focus on the microfauna in the sand. They aren't competition for each other, though diamond gobies do get fairly large and may deplete the microfauna and outgrow a 30g.

Thankyou @eatbreakfast. My plan is to get a small diamond goby as I am enjoying this hobby so much I will be getting a larger tank within a year. Seems like it will work out. As an FYI, I restock pods monthly just to make sure my dragonet has plenty to eat. He also eats very small pellets which is great. I shut off all flow and spot feed him and my corals twice a week at least
IMG_1480079010.482885.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back