Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou @eatbreakfast. My plan is to get a small diamond goby as I am enjoying this hobby so much I will be getting a larger tank within a year. Seems like it will work out. As an FYI, I restock pods monthly just to make sure my dragonet has plenty to eat. He also eats very small pellets which is great. I shut off all flow and spot feed him and my corals twice a week at least
IMG_1480079010.482885.jpg

So I picked up the diamond goby yesterday. He was skittish for a while then dug his burrow and I haven't seen him for the last 24 hrs. Does this seem ok for a goby? Not sure as it's my 1st one.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up the diamond goby yesterday. He was skittish for a while then dug his burrow and I haven't seen him for the last 24 hrs. Does this seem ok for a goby? Not sure as it's my 1st one.
It's not entirely unusual, but it should be making it's appearance soon. If not, check the floor, overflow, and sump. They are accomplished jumpers.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not entirely unusual, but it should be making it's appearance soon. If not, check the floor, overflow, and sump. They are accomplished jumpers.

Thanks! I have a tight fitting mesh top as I also have a line spot flasher wrasse, and a purple firefish. I'm prepared for jumpers. And the goby did jump a few times when I first put him in but I had the top on. I will keep me eye out for him.

Sway.B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering starting a saltwater tank, and was recommended the 14 Gallon BioCube to start out with. I'd like to get a seahorse to go in it, and a fish or two.

I was told that a diamond goby (sand sifter) would be a good addition, and perhaps a sea star.

Any suggestions as to what can live with seahorses that won't outgrow this tank size?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure either a star or a sand-sifting goby is going to do well in a smaller tank. They feed on microfauna they find in the sand, and it doesn't seem to me that there would be enough sand to do the job.

Maybe one of the smaller shrimp gobies, like a Yasha or a black-ray . . . You definitely won't want anybody who'll outcompete your pony for snacks.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering starting a saltwater tank, and was recommended the 14 Gallon BioCube to start out with. I'd like to get a seahorse to go in it, and a fish or two.

I was told that a diamond goby (sand sifter) would be a good addition, and perhaps a sea star.

Any suggestions as to what can live with seahorses that won't outgrow this tank size?
A 14g is a pretty small tank. As Bruce mentioned, both the sifter boby and the star will need more substantial microfauna than can be provided by that tank.

Seahorses can be a challenge. Focus on them before adding another fish.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I have a 72" 135g with a 40g sump FOWLR (except for a small colony of zoas). Current inhabitants are
1 Yellow Tang (4")
1 White tail Bristletooth Tang (4.5")
1 Benggai Cardinal
2 Ocelaris Clowns (small)
2 Green Chromis (small)
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Valentini Puffer (small)
1 Coral Banded Shrimp

I would like to add an Angel and am thinking a Bellus....Would that get too large for my tank? Also is adding another Benggai ok since my current one has been solitary since purchased about 6 weeks ago (tank is very calm with no aggression)? I am also open to other suggestions on an Angelfish for my tank. I apologize for my spelling errors as I am posting from a fishing vessel in the middle of the Bering Sea and the satellite connection makes it difficult to do spellchecking etc... Thank you in advance for any advice.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Swoody!

The Bering is no joke. Stay safe out there!

There's nothing jumping out at me that says bellus would be a terrible idea - but I've never kept them.

I know that Banggai cardinals usually pair up (male/female pair...), and will be aggressive with other Banggai. If you can get one the opposite gender of the one you have, you should be OK. Gender differences in Banggais are subtle, but if you examine the vent area of adult fish carefully, you might just be able to pull it off!

~Bruce

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
First timer here looking for some good fish to stock my RSM C-130 (FOWLR for now reef down the road). The tank is 34 gal plus a 20 Gal sump so obviously I think stocking on the conservative side might be best. I was hoping to get 2 black and white Ocellaris clowns, 1 bicolour dottyback and possibly a starfish or clam of some kind once the tank is matured. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
First timer here looking for some good fish to stock my RSM C-130 (FOWLR for now reef down the road). The tank is 34 gal plus a 20 Gal sump so obviously I think stocking on the conservative side might be best. I was hoping to get 2 black and white Ocellaris clowns, 1 bicolour dottyback and possibly a starfish or clam of some kind once the tank is matured. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)

I think the clowns are a great idea, but have had difficult experiences with dottybacks in the past - notably, a purple dotty who, together with a tomato clown, quickly murdered any fish that dared enter their 55 gallon tank. Orchid dottybacks have a mellower reputation, but I've decided on a pair of royal grammas to fill that role in my own tank. A brittle or serpent star (avoid the big green ones, they've a reputation for devouring sleeping fishes) might be OK, but a "classic" sea-star or sand-sifter probably won't do well for you. I've got a couple of gray-banded serpent stars, as well as the mini-brittles and Asterina that just show up as hitchhikers. Don't see them often, but they come out when food hits the water. Clams want light - if you can provide what they need, you might be golden! (I've never kept them...)

~Bruce

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the clowns are a great idea, but have had difficult experiences with dottybacks in the past - notably, a purple dotty who, together with a tomato clown, quickly murdered any fish that dared enter their 55 gallon tank. Orchid dottybacks have a mellower reputation, but I've decided on a pair of royal grammas to fill that role in my own tank. A brittle or serpent star (avoid the big green ones, they've a reputation for devouring sleeping fishes) might be OK, but a "classic" sea-star or sand-sifter probably won't do well for you. I've got a couple of gray-banded serpent stars, as well as the mini-brittles and Asterina that just show up as hitchhikers. Don't see them often, but they come out when food hits the water. Clams want light - if you can provide what they need, you might be golden! (I've never kept them...)

~Bruce

My set up might be a little small for this but I had also thought a flame angel instead of the dottyback, not sure of there temperament though. And the clam I would definitely need to check the PAR on my tank once it was all set up and running before I even considered them a viable option. Thanks for your input maybe I'll steer clear of the dottyback for now. Although if its on it's own and the clowns stick together it might not be an issue either way.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that behaviour typical of a flame? I've read about there semi-aggressive nature but I've also found you can't ALWAYS trust what you read in some forums

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into a 2 Spot Hogfish for my 2yr old 40B. Current livestock, 1 Banggai, 1 Sixline and a YWG/Pistol. Waiting though for my Cleaner Shrimp to get much bigger.
Think the Hogfish would work. Reef safe?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I have a 72" 135g with a 40g sump FOWLR (except for a small colony of zoas). Current inhabitants are
1 Yellow Tang (4")
1 White tail Bristletooth Tang (4.5")
1 Benggai Cardinal
2 Ocelaris Clowns (small)
2 Green Chromis (small)
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Valentini Puffer (small)
1 Coral Banded Shrimp

I would like to add an Angel and am thinking a Bellus....Would that get too large for my tank? Also is adding another Benggai ok since my current one has been solitary since purchased about 6 weeks ago (tank is very calm with no aggression)? I am also open to other suggestions on an Angelfish for my tank. I apologize for my spelling errors as I am posting from a fishing vessel in the middle of the Bering Sea and the satellite connection makes it difficult to do spellchecking etc... Thank you in advance for any advice.
A bellus, or any other angel in the genus Genicanthus would be fine in that tank.

Bangaiis can be a challenge for a novice to sex. If you really want a pr, I would suggest rehoming yours and acquiring a bonded pr.
Hey Everyone,
Any reef safe starfish will be a challenge in a tank that size. As Bruce mentioned, perhaps a smaller species of brittle or serpent star.

If the lighting is adequate, a clam should be doable, but in a couple of years will take up a substantial amount of space in a 34g.

A Bicolor dottyback will be fine with the clowns, but will likely pose a problem to any fish added after them.
What about adding another Angel Yellow Belly Regal or another tang?
Since you already have a few tangs, adding another deep bodied fish will subject it to aggression. It may be possible with the use of a social acclimation box.

My set up might be a little small for this but I had also thought a flame angel instead of the dottyback, not sure of there temperament though. And the clam I would definitely need to check the PAR on my tank once it was all set up and running before I even considered them a viable option. Thanks for your input maybe I'll steer clear of the dottyback for now. Although if its on it's own and the clowns stick together it might not be an issue either way.
That size is borderline for a flame angel. A flame angel may pick at a clam mantle.

I'm looking into a 2 Spot Hogfish for my 2yr old 40B. Current livestock, 1 Banggai, 1 Sixline and a YWG/Pistol. Waiting though for my Cleaner Shrimp to get much bigger.
Think the Hogfish would work. Reef safe?
Bimaculatus hogs can get pretty aggressive. There is a good chance that it and your sixline will fight.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 125 gal and currently I have
1 striped damsel about 1"
1 yellow tail damsel 1.5"
2 green chromis less than 2"
2 large black and white clowns (mated pair)
One the way 2 mandarins (mated pair)
I would like to have 2 dwarf angels a bicolor and a coral beauty but I've read that you should not have 2 in one tank. So do y'all agree with that?
Also any ideas on other fish that I could add? I don't have a large budget so I'm not looking for really expensive fish

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen multiple angelfish done in tanks as small as 65 gallons, but there are inherent risks . . .

I've got a coral beauty in my 65, and am planning to add a flame angel. At the same time, I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 220; I'll have to move the 65 to build the 220 where it stands. (Best-braced part of my flooring.) My plan is to add the flame and the coral beauty to a temporary tub on the floor while moving the tank - when they're both returned to the display, it should pretty much be "nobody's territory".

I hope.

~Bruce

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have 2 dwarf angels a bicolor and a coral beauty but I've read that you should not have 2 in one tank. So do y'all agree with that?

I've seen multiple angelfish done in tanks as small as 65 gallons, but there are inherent risks . . .

You will find plenty of people using these forums who have 2 dwarf angels of different varieties with no issues at all. I think it is really a matter of luck. Mine was bad.
I wanted to add a yellow tang, coral beauty, hippo tang and flame angel at the same time. I set up 2 QT's with the yellow tang and flame angel in one, the hippo and cb in the other. Added all 4 fish to my 120g DT at the same time. Tangs got along great. Flame angel went after the poor coral beauty hard. I had to wait until the cb was in bad enough shape so I could catch it and move it to my sump. Poor little guy. :(
I just wish fish would read and follow the instructions that come with them so they would know they should get along if added at the same time. :confused:

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
You will find plenty of people using these forums who have 2 dwarf angels of different varieties with no issues at all. I think it is really a matter of luck. Mine was bad.
I wanted to add a yellow tang, coral beauty, hippo tang and flame angel at the same time. I set up 2 QT's with the yellow tang and flame angel in one, the hippo and cb in the other. Added all 4 fish to my 120g DT at the same time. Tangs got along great. Flame angel went after the poor coral beauty hard. I had to wait until the cb was in bad enough shape so I could catch it and move it to my sump. Poor little guy. :(
I just wish fish would read and follow the instructions that come with them so they would know they should get along if added at the same time. :confused:
I have read that the flame angel is one of the most aggressive dwarf angel. I would love to have the flame too but I was hoping the beauty n the bicolor will get along better than the flame would with either of the others.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back