Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed flame angels to be more aggressive than any other dwarf angels. Adding the angels simultaneously can cut down on aggression. If you plan on corals, bicolors are some of the worst offenders for nipping.

Other fish options could include flame or longnose hawkfish, starry blenny, a fairy or flasher wrasse.

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's been 4weeks since was requesting stocking advice but have hit a major road bump, so back to drawing board.
Have been paying up front to LFS to go towards setting up a 425xl reefer system with the aim to collect everything this Friday but due to a recent change in my financial situation am considering downsizing to a "complete system " that can start cycling straight away.
Anyway my stocking plan will have to change so am after thoughts for a plan for easy reef aquarium of 47gal ie Red Sea max e-170
Help!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's been 4weeks since was requesting stocking advice but have hit a major road bump, so back to drawing board.
Have been paying up front to LFS to go towards setting up a 425xl reefer system with the aim to collect everything this Friday but due to a recent change in my financial situation am considering downsizing to a "complete system " that can start cycling straight away.
Anyway my stocking plan will have to change so am after thoughts for a plan for easy reef aquarium of 47gal ie Red Sea max e-170
Help!!
Life sure is interesting that way, we never know what to expect. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but always interesting.

Personally, if I had a tank that size I would go with a tank based around wrasses. So much color and life. I love my tangs but I'm not sure I wouldn't go that route if I ever had to restock my 120g.

CarterJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a yellow tang, yellow eye kole tang, and a one spot foxface for the 120g reef tank I am about to set up. Will these three be okay together and what order should I add them in? I have read and been advised that the two tangs should introduced to the DT at the same time, should the Foxface go in before, at the same as, or after the tangs?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a yellow tang, yellow eye kole tang, and a one spot foxface for the 120g reef tank I am about to set up. Will these three be okay together and what order should I add them in? I have read and been advised that the two tangs should introduced to the DT at the same time, should the Foxface go in before, at the same as, or after the tangs?
The foxface can take care of itself, but is more peaceful than the tangs. So it can be added at anytime, but would be best added before the tangs.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my list for my RSM C130 I'm now looking at 2 ollcearis clowns, 1 starry blenny and 1 black cap basslet. Any thoughts on this combination??

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, that sounds great, Josh!

My only thought would be that starry blennies can grow large enough that it might look a bit out of proportion in that tank. A tailspot blenny might also be one to look at.

~Bruce, still not really a pro . . .

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, that sounds great, Josh!

My only thought would be that starry blennies can grow large enough that it might look a bit out of proportion in that tank. A tailspot blenny might also be one to look at.

~Bruce, still not really a pro . . .

Thanks Bruce,

I did notice they get a little big but I figured I would be able to implement enough hidey holes he would spend most of his time in them anyway. But we shall see how things go, got a long wait before the tank can be filled anyway so I'll keep pondering away lol

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my list for my RSM C130 I'm now looking at 2 ollcearis clowns, 1 starry blenny and 1 black cap basslet. Any thoughts on this combination??
This list will work. Just let the basslet settle in the tank prior to adding the starry blenny.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys setting up my 50G with sump. Skimmer, Live Rock, Live Sand. Here is my wish list: thinking of starting least aggressive first but open to suggestions:
Mated Citron Clown Goby
Mate Banggai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Mated Maroon Clown

After est refugium with sustainable pods

Court Jester Goby
Mandarin

Any thoughts on compatibility and/or bio-load? 9 fish total all fairly small in a 50G. Also thoughts on when I should add them? Thanks!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys setting up my 50G with sump. Skimmer, Live Rock, Live Sand. Here is my wish list: thinking of starting least aggressive first but open to suggestions:
Mated Citron Clown Goby
Mate Banggai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Mated Maroon Clown

Court Jester Goby
Mandarin

Any thoughts on compatibility and/or bio-load? 9 fish total all fairly small in a 50G. Also thoughts on when I should add them? Thanks!

I know I'm new but 9 fish in a 50 plus a sump seems a little much... especially with 3 mated pairs. I was thinking 4 in my own 30 + 20G sump was pushing it. And from what I have read mated pairs need even more space but I could be wrong here. Just my 2 cents, obviously they don't have as much weight as an experienced reefer. But personally I would say stick with 1 mated pair and 3-4 more fish. Always better to stock lighter. plus a second mated pair might cause conflicts territory wise between them.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm new but 9 fish in a 50 plus a sump seems a little much... especially with 3 mated pairs. I was thinking 4 in my own 30 + 20G sump was pushing it. And from what I have read mated pairs need even more space but I could be wrong here. Just my 2 cents, obviously they don't have as much weight as an experienced reefer. But personally I would say stick with 1 mated pair and 3-4 more fish. Always better to stock lighter. plus a second mated pair might cause conflicts territory wise between them.

Cool thanks for the FB. I'm open to only having one mated pair. Most of those fish are small and except for Maroons are rated for 10G (not all at once and def. not the mandarins). But yes keeping it at 6-7 might be better.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the FB. I'm open to only having one mated pair. Most of those fish are small and except for Maroons are rated for 10G (not all at once and def. not the mandarins). But yes keeping it at 6-7 might be better.

I've come to that conclusion myself, stocking lighter is definitely the better way to go, at least until you're all set up and tuned in with things. Obviously there are many variables to consider. And it's something even after years of reading about stocking tanks I've never really been certain about. What's your set up going to be equipment wise?

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to that conclusion myself, stocking lighter is definitely the better way to go, at least until you're all set up and tuned in with things. Obviously there are many variables to consider. And it's something even after years of reading about stocking tanks I've never really been certain about. What's your set up going to be equipment wise?

By the time I am fully stocked: sump with skimmer, 2,000 GPH water movement (return + two in-tank pumps), refugium, ATO, carbon, rock & sand, filter sock. Will make sure I have stable pods for mandarin and try and Get aquaculture fish whenever possible. I have GFO with reactor but won't mess with that until I'm fully stocked and testing phosphates.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time I am fully stocked: sump with skimmer, 2,000 GPH water movement (return + two in-tank pumps), refugium, ATO, carbon, rock & sand, filter sock. Will make sure I have stable pods for mandarin and try and Get aquaculture fish whenever possible. I have GFO with reactor but won't mess with that until I'm fully stocked and testing phosphates.

What skimmer were you going to go with?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mated Citron Clown Goby
Mate Banggai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Mated Maroon Clown

Court Jester Goby
Mandarin

This list looks good with the exception of the maroon clowns. Maroons, once mature, will claim the whole 50g to themselves. Choose a different species of clowns and you will be fine.

The other paired fish are pretty peaceful, and none of the inhabitants should be too taxing on the biofilter.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This list looks good with the exception of the maroon clowns. Maroons, once mature, will claim the whole 50g to themselves. Choose a different species of clowns and you will be fine.

The other paired fish are pretty peaceful, and none of the inhabitants should be too taxing on the biofilter.

Great feedback. That was my sneaking suspicion. Was thinking about splurging on the Lightening Maroons at some point hoping if I dropped them in last and gave them a 'nem they would behave. But not worth if they go all Galactus on my tank. .
IMG_1481416319.265903.jpg
What about "designer" clowns that are not Maroon-based? Or a Chalk Bass? Saw a a pair of them at UltraGem that were super cool.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback. That was my sneaking suspicion. Was thinking about splurging on the Lightening Maroons at some point hoping if I dropped them in last and gave them a 'nem they would behave. But not worth if they go all Galactus on my tank. .
IMG_1481416319.265903.jpg
What about "designer" clowns that are not Maroon-based? Or a Chalk Bass? Saw a a pair of them at UltraGem that were super cool.

That clown looks bad a** lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back