Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the problem would be with the gramma ... but I'm about to find out, as I'll be introducing one to my DT (with a firefish and a target mandarin) this afternoon.

I've got a pair of yellow watchman (prawn) gobies who haven't met yet - they will today. She's been over a month in QT with a 0" sandbed, and seems to be fine.

My pistol keeps to himself in his hole, and never bothers anyone, except for popping at any bumbling hermit that strays too close. They lumber away, and that's that.

~Bruce

P.S. - Welcome to Reef2Reef, Benj! Hope you find it as enjoyable as I have.

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the problem would be with the gramma ... but I'm about to find out, as I'll be introducing one to my DT (with a firefish and a target mandarin) this afternoon.

I've got a pair of yellow watchman (prawn) gobies who haven't met yet - they will today. She's been over a month in QT with a 0" sandbed, and seems to be fine.

My pistol keeps to himself in his hole, and never bothers anyone, except for popping at any bumbling hermit that strays too close. They lumber away, and that's that.

~Bruce

P.S. - Welcome to Reef2Reef, Benj! Hope you find it as enjoyable as I have.

My gramma gets along fine with my fire fish x2 and my cleaner shrimp and three peppermint shrimp don't bother the pistol shrimp. The pistol and goby have paired up and are happier than ever!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am looking to create a fish list for my 120 gallon planned to be reef tank. Attached is my list with notes. A few of my questions so far are:
Is a Royal Gramma okay with a Firefish and Mandarin? Would a Yellow Prawn Goby be okay with a 1" sandbed? Would a Pistol Shrimp be dangerous to a Cleaner and Peppermint Shrimp? What order would be best? Any changes or other comments?
tank_inhabitants.jpg
The only issue I forsee is the sixline wrasse. They eat alot of pods, so will compete with the mandarin, and they get increasingly aggressive as they get established.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect to finally have my 220gal 72x24x30 tank up and running in the next few months. Below is my first take at a stocking list. I'm interested in general mixture of these fish, wrasse compatibility, and recommended order. I'll be transferring 3 fish over from my 60 cube. The 2 clowns and the orange back fairy wrasse. 40gal sump, 75gal refugium, Aquamaxx ConeS CO-3 skimmer.

Would love feedback on stocking level as well. I consider this fully stocked, maybe slightly overstocked, but I do tend to prefer small fish to large ones. These wouldn't be all dumped in at once of course but rather, with that sized tank, likely over a couple of years. Tank will eventually be SPS dominant but likely always a mix.

Percula Clownfish Amphiprion percula 2
Orange Back Fairy Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis 1
Exquisit Fairy Cirrhilabrus exquisitus 1
Labout's Fairy Cirrhilabrus laboutei 1
Rhomboidalis Fairy Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis 1
Girdled Fairy Cirrhilabrus balteatus 1
McCosker's Flasher Paracheilinus mccoskeri 1
Carpenter's Flasher Paracheilinus carpenteri 1
Radiant Wrasse Halichoeres iridis 1
Yellow Coris Halichoeres chrysus 1
Red-lined Wrasse Halichoeres biocellatus 1
Leopard Wrasse Macropharyngodon meleagris 1
Potter's Angelfish Centropyge potteri 1
Tail Spot Blenny Ecsenius stigmatura 1
Engineer Goby Pholidichthys leucotaenia 1, maybe 2?
Lyretail Anthias Pseudanthias squamipinnis 6
Carberryi Anthias Nemanthias carberryi 4
Exquisite Firefish Nemateleotris exquisita 1
Pajama Cardinal Fish Sphaeramia nematoptera 3
Purple Tang Zebrasoma xanthurum 2

Other possibilities in addition to, or in place of, would be a Quoyi parrot fish, additional anthias, tilefish, or any number of other wrasses. I understand the Potter's can be difficult to acclimate. I'm open to another dwarf angel but the Potter's seems worth the challenge. I work from home now so taking the time to feed and QT some of these fish won't be an issue. The 60-gal will become a long term QT.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect to finally have my 220gal 72x24x30 tank up and running in the next few months. Below is my first take at a stocking list. I'm interested in general mixture of these fish, wrasse compatibility, and recommended order. I'll be transferring 3 fish over from my 60 cube. The 2 clowns and the orange back fairy wrasse. 40gal sump, 75gal refugium, Aquamaxx ConeS CO-3 skimmer.

Would love feedback on stocking level as well. I consider this fully stocked, maybe slightly overstocked, but I do tend to prefer small fish to large ones. These wouldn't be all dumped in at once of course but rather, with that sized tank, likely over a couple of years. Tank will eventually be SPS dominant but likely always a mix.

Other possibilities in addition to, or in place of, would be a Quoyi parrot fish, additional anthias, tilefish, or any number of other wrasses. I understand the Potter's can be difficult to acclimate. I'm open to another dwarf angel but the Potter's seems worth the challenge. I work from home now so taking the time to feed and QT some of these fish won't be an issue. The 60-gal will become a long term QT.
I don't see much of an issue with the species compatibility or the stocking level.

The biggest issue is the engineer goby. They can make a giant mess of th tank. But other than that are quite hardy.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You, sir, have excellent taste in fish! (Or at least yours is similiar to mine!)

I'm actually in the beginning phases of setting up the same size tank, and many of the fish you've listed are also either on my list or in my current 65 gallon display. By and large, they get along quite well!

~Bruce

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon
1 - Gold Striped Maroon clown
1 - Engineer goby
1 - Flame angel
1 - Coral beauty
1 - Scopas tang

New addition that the LFS, which is pretty good said would be okay.
1 - Solarensis Wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon
1 - Gold Striped Maroon clown
1 - Engineer goby
1 - Flame angel
1 - Coral beauty
1 - Scopas tang

New addition that the LFS, which is pretty good said would be okay.
1 - Solarensis Wrasse
A solorensis will work well.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube.

2 clowns, 1 red ruby dragonette, 2 gobies and pistol shrimp.

I was looking to add a white lined combtooth blenny and, if possible, a tomini tang. I'll have a bigger tank someday and I have open swim space (I know not length)

I also keep sps, lps, and softies in case that matters.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube.

I was looking to add a white lined combtooth blenny and, if possible, a tomini tang. I'll have a bigger tank someday and I have open swim space (I know not length)

The blenny will be fine. Hold off of the kole until you actually have the bigger tank.

Digby57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New topic here, and I admit that I haven't looked through all of this. I am very interested in another of ORA's "white spotted filefish" for my reef. It's mainly softies with a RBTA, some fungias and a nice ball of acans. Existing fish are wheeler's gobies and orange skunk clowns. I don't want any other fish, but I do want to eventually add a plating monti or 2. Noteable softies: an easy photosynthetic gorg and a toadstool that's pretty big.

Back to the white spot filefish: I had one once. He was great but he died in an unfortunate refugium explosion involving a nano and some miracle mud (I'll never do that again). Before that he was just fine. Actually he was fat and happy, but I also didn't have any corals beyond finger leathers, mushrooms and palys.

So, question is: what if any corals have owners of the ORA white spotted filefish seen nibbled by this fish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New topic here, and I admit that I haven't looked through all of this. I am very interested in another of ORA's "white spotted filefish" for my reef. It's mainly softies with a RBTA, some fungias and a nice ball of acans. Existing fish are wheeler's gobies and orange skunk clowns. I don't want any other fish, but I do want to eventually add a plating monti or 2. Noteable softies: an easy photosynthetic gorg and a toadstool that's pretty big.

Back to the white spot filefish: I had one once. He was great but he died in an unfortunate refugium explosion involving a nano and some miracle mud (I'll never do that again). Before that he was just fine. Actually he was fat and happy, but I also didn't have any corals beyond finger leathers, mushrooms and palys.

So, question is: what if any corals have owners of the ORA white spotted filefish seen nibbled by this fish?
I ave found that for the most part, these guys will be reef safe fore a month or two, then they can start to nip. About 75% of these files that I have had in customers tanks started nipping on fleshy brains, such as acans.

Digby57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I did have small acans in the tank where I had that file, but I only had him about 3 months before the miracle mud incident. Thanks for the info.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube.

So I got the blenny yesterday. Today my sunset monti wasn't extending its polyps. It's new so I thought it might be going through a phase. Then I saw the little blenny, in a rock, under my grafted monti that's been growing great! Next thing I know, he's taking chunks of tissue off in every bite..... not sps safe. White lined combtooths are cute killers.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking a 37gal 30Lx12Dx22H mixed reef. Already have clown fish, six line wrasse and lawnmower blenny. Blenny is in QT and clown fish and wrasse are in DT and getting along. Our clown fish leaves the wrasse alone (and vice versa) but attacks our hands anytime they are in the tank. The blenny is due to move to DT in about a week. Also have CUC of snails and 1 emerald crab. My husband really wants a blue sapphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) and I want something purple. These would be the last fish we will stock. I would really like a royal gramma but wasn't sure if the wrasse and it would get along. Would an orchid dottyback fit in better? I think a firefish would be too shy with the other fish. Any other "purples" that would work? Anyone have experience with the sapphire damsel? I've done some research and they are supposed to be one of the less aggressive damsels and have the benefit of eating coral pests. What order should I add these last two fish?

BradH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my tanks been up and running for about 7 months now and I'm looking to add some more fish. It's a bow front 30 only thing in it right now is two blue damsels, cleanup crew and a green star polyp. My question is what other fish should I be looking at or what would you suggest.Thanks in advance

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Cycled123! I hope you're finding Reef2Reef both comfortable and informative!

I've got a gramma and a six-line in the same tank, but it's a bit bigger (65 gallons, and crowded) and they were both introduced at the same time. I'd strongly suggest using a social acclimation box, as both of your current residents can be rough on newcomers.

Brad, your damsels can be snippy with new arrivals as well, especially in a smaller tank. If they do get cranky, you can try moving the aquascape around or placing a mirror at one end of the tank, as well as using the social acclimation box to keep the new guys safe while making introductions. Firefish are a great choice for a tank your size, but will jump like rockets if chased, as will dartfish and most - if not all - wrasses. A clownfish (ocellaris, percula, one of the skunk clowns) could be an option, as would the royal gramma Cycled is looking at, or perhaps a chalk basslet. You might also look at a shrimp / goby pair, which would inhabit the bottom of the tank and make fascinating denizens. Another fish you might look at is a tailspot blenny - not too big, not too brightly colored, but cute as a button and very entertaining to watch. He'll inhabit your rockwork, slipping into crevices tail-first and keeping a lookout, and may nibble on some of your algae. Primary thing to be aware of is that if all goes well, you'll have these fish for the next several years - so get the ones you're sure you want to look at and will be happy to take care of for that long!

~Bruce

BradH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much, I'm going to ride with a friend next week to a distributor ( he has a wholesale account) and he let me know the kinds they have and it was just over welming so much too chose from didn't no where too start

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back