Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am just starting out in the reefing hobby. I move a lot for work and just got settled at my new home in Manila, Philippines. Since the wife and I will be here for 3 years at least, I finally have enough time to start a tank!
My tank was purchased locally, it's a 50 gallon display tank (36"x 18" x 18") with about a 30 gallon sump underneath. I am running the following equipment, Reefbreeder Photon V2 (24 inch fixture 135watts), Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer, and Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump, and a small Hydor powerhead.

The water, live rock, and sand all went in this week. The skimmer is still very much in the break-in stage, but everything else is going very well. Water is crystal clear, and parameters are looking good. I don't expect to have much of a cycle since the rock is all live, but the tank will stay empty for 4 weeks before I add anything besides the crabs and snails that are in it now. (1 hermit hitchhiker and 7 turbo snails)

When I do start to add livestock, what do you all recommend? All livestock are incredibly cheap here, since 50% of all the fish in the hobby come from the Philippines.

Below is my possible stock list, I would love some advice on order of introduction, and some suggestions on what I should add or delete.

Are there any "can't miss" spectacular fish from this region I should include since I have access to all the local exporters?

Helfrichi Firefish
Green (or Red) Mandarin
Bi-Color Blenny
Chinstrap Jawfish
Linear Blenny
Watchman Goby
image2.JPG image1.JPG

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am just starting out in the reefing hobby. I move a lot for work and just got settled at my new home in Manila, Philippines. Since the wife and I will be here for 3 years at least, I finally have enough time to start a tank!
My tank was purchased locally, it's a 50 gallon display tank (36"x 18" x 18") with about a 30 gallon sump underneath. I am running the following equipment, Reefbreeder Photon V2 (24 inch fixture 135watts), Aquamaxx CO-1 skimmer, and Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump, and a small Hydor powerhead.

The water, live rock, and sand all went in this week. The skimmer is still very much in the break-in stage, but everything else is going very well. Water is crystal clear, and parameters are looking good. I don't expect to have much of a cycle since the rock is all live, but the tank will stay empty for 4 weeks before I add anything besides the crabs and snails that are in it now. (1 hermit hitchhiker and 7 turbo snails)

When I do start to add livestock, what do you all recommend? All livestock are incredibly cheap here, since 50% of all the fish in the hobby come from the Philippines.

Below is my possible stock list, I would love some advice on order of introduction, and some suggestions on what I should add or delete.

Are there any "can't miss" spectacular fish from this region I should include since I have access to all the local exporters?

Helfrichi Firefish
Green (or Red) Mandarin
Bi-Color Blenny
Chinstrap Jawfish
Linear Blenny
Watchman Goby
image2.JPG image1.JPG
Looking like a good start. Hope u the best of luck with ur tank. I cant really help with the stocking list but there are alot of people on here who can.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Helfrichi Firefish
Green (or Red) Mandarin
Bi-Color Blenny
Chinstrap Jawfish
Linear Blenny
Watchman Goby
image2.JPG image1.JPG
Firefish are notorious jumpers, so without a cover I would advise against a firefish.

Let the tank mature for 6+ months before adding a mandarin.

Some Filipino fish that I would recommend for that tank include pink streak wrasse or Wetmorella sp, a Liopropoma basslet, sunburst anthias.

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Eatbreakfast (it's the most important meal of the day afterall).

I have a 1/8" screen top, but I am trying to get the light supports in a different position before installing the kit so I can cover the whole tank. I will wait on the Firefish until I have is squared away!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Eatbreakfast (it's the most important meal of the day afterall).

I have a 1/8" screen top, but I am trying to get the light supports in a different position before installing the kit so I can cover the whole tank. I will wait on the Firefish until I have is squared away!
Perfect. In that case, a couple of other fish I highly recommend are the purple tilefish and pintail fairy wrasse.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terminal male pintails are rather pricey, but females & transitional males often sell for _much_ less. Given some time (and they don't jump out . . . Waah!), you should have a truly magnificent fish.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the Pintail Wrasse, you sir, have some fancy tastes!!! It's beautiful, and I hope it's a lot cheaper here, since now I've GOT to get one!!
Almost all in the hobby come from the Philippines, so it shouldn't be too pricey there.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thread inhabitants. I have an Innovative Marine Fusion 40 that currently has a peppermint shrimp, 2 small BTAs, and 2 clowns that I moved over when I upgraded from my IM20. I'd really like to get advice on what to add next. I love my clowns and had been thinking it would be cool to add a couple of black ocellaris or snowflakes to go in there with my current ones, but that doesn't seem to be advised based on the research I've done here. The dream is to add a mandarin in a year or so. I've added 10lbs of rubble rock to the sump and think I have enough space for 10+ more so the pods have space to grow. I also feel like the mandarin idea might get shut down. All that said...what's next? I have Zoas, softies and hard coral. Six-Lines are pretty and seem to work in this tank size, but it would have to be after the mandarin or not at all. Is there something I can add to sift my sand? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Cali.reef1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for info on how to remove urchin spines from the bottom of my tank. Thanks in advance

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thread inhabitants. I have an Innovative Marine Fusion 40 that currently has a peppermint shrimp, 2 small BTAs, and 2 clowns that I moved over when I upgraded from my IM20. I'd really like to get advice on what to add next. I love my clowns and had been thinking it would be cool to add a couple of black ocellaris or snowflakes to go in there with my current ones, but that doesn't seem to be advised based on the research I've done here. The dream is to add a mandarin in a year or so. I've added 10lbs of rubble rock to the sump and think I have enough space for 10+ more so the pods have space to grow. I also feel like the mandarin idea might get shut down. All that said...what's next? I have Zoas, softies and hard coral. Six-Lines are pretty and seem to work in this tank size, but it would have to be after the mandarin or not at all. Is there something I can add to sift my sand? Any guidance would be appreciated!
A 40 should be able to support a mandarin after it has been setup for a year, as long as there are no other pod eaters in the tank.

Sixklines get aggressive and compete for pods, so it is not a good tankmate for a mandarin.

In small tanks nassarius snails keep the sand turned over and are good scavengers.
Just looking for info on how to remove urchin spines from the bottom of my tank. Thanks in advance
I just pick them up with my fingers. You could also scoop them up with a net.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ 45

Current stock:
Pair of mocha clowns (O)
YWG
Fire shrimp
Tiger pistol shrimp
rBTA
A few softies/LPS

Wanted:
6 line wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ 45

Current stock:
Pair of mocha clowns (O)
YWG
Fire shrimp
Tiger pistol shrimp
rBTA
A few softies/LPS

Wanted:
6 line wrasse
A sixline is compatible with your current stock, but be warned! Sixlines notoriously become aggressive and will definitely limit future additions.

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebuilding my tank. it's a 120 (4x2x2) - though I am building 2 rock towers to help separate sightlines and give more swimming area. Already in the tank are: Harlequin Tusk, Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish - they're happy healthy and eating but the tank is dull with just these 2.

I want to add: Narrow Lined Puffer, (Hawaiian) Black Trigger, 2 Maroon Clowns.
I had considered dwarf fuzzy lions but am afraid they'd get picked on by the tusk or trigger, so likely not.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline is compatible with your current stock, but be warned! Sixlines notoriously become aggressive and will definitely limit future additions.

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about this with my clowns too. Do they get aggressive toward known tank mates usually, or just new additions?

I don't plan on adding anymore after this, for a 45 gallon I thinks it'll be pretty full. So new tank mates isn't too big of a problem for me.

I'm also open to suggestions if you know any active, colorful fish that are Reef safe, non aggressive but could hold their own against a couple clowns if needed. [emoji16]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I was worried about this with my clowns too. Do they get aggressive toward known tank mates usually, or just new additions?

I don't plan on adding anymore after this, for a 45 gallon I thinks it'll be pretty full. So new tank mates isn't too big of a problem for me.

I'm also open to suggestions if you know any active, colorful fish that are Reef safe, non aggressive but could hold their own against a couple clowns if needed. [emoji16]
Fish that would fit those qualities would include: sunburst anthias, royal gramma or blackcap basslet, stigmatura blenny, flame hawkfish, chalk bass, grammistes blenny.
Rebuilding my tank. it's a 120 (4x2x2) - though I am building 2 rock towers to help separate sightlines and give more swimming area. Already in the tank are: Harlequin Tusk, Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish - they're happy healthy and eating but the tank is dull with just these 2.

I want to add: Narrow Lined Puffer, (Hawaiian) Black Trigger, 2 Maroon Clowns.
I had considered dwarf fuzzy lions but am afraid they'd get picked on by the tusk or trigger, so likely not.
The tusk, trigger, and uffer are all a risk to nip.

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been a project (and disaster) for months and I really need some help finalizing my stocking list.
Display Tank:
55 gallons
60-65 lbs of live rock
~40 lbs of sand
Eshopps PSK 100H skimmer
x2 Koralia evolution 850 powerheads
x2 Koralia evolution 425 powerheads

I currently have a flame angel that is 1.5-2" that I had in my tank from my previous apartment that is in a 20 gallon holding tank.

I also have a pair of snowflake clowns ~1.25" each in a holding tank. I will be adding them to the DT this weekend.

In the DT I currently have:
1 molly
1 hi fin red banded goby (~1.5")
1 pistol shrimp

I would like to know what else I could add without overstocking (I am very good at keeping up with water changes if that is any consolation). Here are some ideas that I have:
Firefish (helfrichi, purple, or perhaps 2 or 3 zebra barred)
Carpenter's wrasse (I would really like one of these)
Sailfin or starry blenny
Royal gramma
Some type of cleaner pack from live aquaria

One of my biggest concerns is potential aggression from the flame angel. He appears to fairly mild mannered but I cannot say for sure. Please, I am really struggling here and am trying to avoid another tank disaster. To be honest I am a desperate college student and any help is greatly appreciated.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured id jump in here real quick and see what you all think. Im thinking about adding a coral beauty angel to my tank stock. It is a 50 gal. 36x18x18 tank with a diy sump out of a 36x18x12 tank. ( big refugium). I have a rorps 3000ext skimmer and a 1/2 hp chiller. Working on plumbing in a gfo/carbon reactor

I have for fish:
3 firefish
2 pj cardinals
1 orange stripe prawn goby
1 tomini tang "still small"
2 clownfish

Inverts:
3 rainbow bubble anemone
1 green long tenticle anemone
1 skunk cleaner shimp

Corals:
Palys
Zoas
Frog spawn
Mushrooms
Kenya tree
Green star polyps

YES, NO MAYBE

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been a project (and disaster) for months and I really need some help finalizing my stocking list.
Display Tank:
55 gallons
60-65 lbs of live rock
~40 lbs of sand
Eshopps PSK 100H skimmer
x2 Koralia evolution 850 powerheads
x2 Koralia evolution 425 powerheads

I currently have a flame angel that is 1.5-2" that I had in my tank from my previous apartment that is in a 20 gallon holding tank.

I also have a pair of snowflake clowns ~1.25" each in a holding tank. I will be adding them to the DT this weekend.

In the DT I currently have:
1 molly
1 hi fin red banded goby (~1.5")
1 pistol shrimp

I would like to know what else I could add without overstocking (I am very good at keeping up with water changes if that is any consolation). Here are some ideas that I have:
Firefish (helfrichi, purple, or perhaps 2 or 3 zebra barred)
Carpenter's wrasse (I would really like one of these)
Sailfin or starry blenny
Royal gramma
Some type of cleaner pack from live aquaria

One of my biggest concerns is potential aggression from the flame angel. He appears to fairly mild mannered but I cannot say for sure. Please, I am really struggling here and am trying to avoid another tank disaster. To be honest I am a desperate college student and any help is greatly appreciated.
I think your possible stocklist looks good with no real concerns.
I figured id jump in here real quick and see what you all think. Im thinking about adding a coral beauty angel to my tank stock. It is a 50 gal. 36x18x18 tank with a diy sump out of a 36x18x12 tank. ( big refugium). I have a rorps 3000ext skimmer and a 1/2 hp chiller. Working on plumbing in a gfo/carbon reactor

I have for fish:
3 firefish
2 pj cardinals
1 orange stripe prawn goby
1 tomini tang "still small"
2 clownfish

Inverts:
3 rainbow bubble anemone
1 green long tenticle anemone
1 skunk cleaner shimp

Corals:
Palys
Zoas
Frog spawn
Mushrooms
Kenya tree
Green star polyps

YES, NO MAYBE
The zoas and green star polyps are at risk for being nipped by a coral beauty and the tomini tang has potential to be aggressive.

Back