Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a euro brace tank help without screen top? Like anthias? i have same size 40 gallon shallow 12" tall.
Any fish can jump and when you see the trajectory and force with which fish jump a eurobrace is not much of a deterrent.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking question. Currently flame hawk and linetus wrasse. Want to add firefish resplendent anthias clown blue flasher wrasse or Vanuatu condel fairy wrasse. Will QT and add all at once. Later a Kole tang.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to have a cleaner crew? Do they have be in QT as well?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking question. Currently flame hawk and linetus wrasse. Want to add firefish resplendent anthias clown blue flasher wrasse or Vanuatu condel fairy wrasse. Will QT and add all at once. Later a Kole tang.
Skip the condei, they can be pretty aggressive.

Resplendant anthias do best in a group.
Do I have to have a cleaner crew? Do they have be in QT as well?
You don't have to do a clean up crew, but if you do, they should be quarantined.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say if you have a group of anthias you need at least a 125 gallon tank. True or not? I have a 60 gallon tank.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a fish that is suitable for a 60 gallons that will swim mid tank. I guess the clown will. Not sure about the blue flasher wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say if you have a group of anthias you need at least a 125 gallon tank. True or not? I have a 60 gallon tank.
I've kept a trio of resplendents in a 60g. They are smaller, peaceful species. Not nearly as feist with each other as many other anthias species.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am changing my tank around. I have coral mostly softies but I'm slowing adding sticks, nothing crazy or expensive but new to me. I'm clearing out the old stuff and putting it in my husband's tank in his middle school science class. Clowns are going to a guy in Tampa who is trying to start breeding them, I hope they aren't too old (8 years old] they Try and spawn constantly and and mean to me when I put my hand in their home. I've had then since they were still little orange babies now they are huge black and whites with little bits of orange on their noses. I feel like a bad fish mommy but I'd like to go in another direction. Trying to get my tiger pistol shrimp out as well..... I'll have a mandarin and a pink spot goby, coral banned shrimp lots of rock anemones, big leather toadstool, tiny sticks, a Duncan, a few mushrooms, finger coral and some big tree sponges in the corner. 40 gallon 9-5 year old rock and stuff in a new tank 1 year ago moved to a bigger system so new sand added,...... old and removed.... so established and steady. Any suggestions I was looking at doing a goby system, or pipe fish since I have a huge pod population in my sump, or thought I'd get a male mandarin for my lady. Kamohara Fang Benny caught my eye and is aqua cultured, maybe a panda goby, war paint and citron? Nothing aggressive or big. ....

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have pair of snowflakes clown fish in 40 gallon shallow tank. The male died 2 days ago because of ich spread from blue tang (died too).
2 days pass, the female seem doing ok, no sign of ich, eating well, no strange behavior.

I'm thinking of introduce another smaller one ( male ) snowflake into the tank, what is the chance the old female will get along with new male?
Any tips, tricks anyone?
Thank you

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One male to two females?
Yes.
Do I have to feed them more than once a day?
Yes, reef fishes are designed to eat small frequent meals, so replicating this in aquaria is best for the fish.

Hello, I am changing my tank around. I have coral mostly softies but I'm slowing adding sticks, nothing crazy or expensive but new to me. I'm clearing out the old stuff and putting it in my husband's tank in his middle school science class. Clowns are going to a guy in Tampa who is trying to start breeding them, I hope they aren't too old (8 years old] they Try and spawn constantly and and mean to me when I put my hand in their home. I've had then since they were still little orange babies now they are huge black and whites with little bits of orange on their noses. I feel like a bad fish mommy but I'd like to go in another direction. Trying to get my tiger pistol shrimp out as well..... I'll have a mandarin and a pink spot goby, coral banned shrimp lots of rock anemones, big leather toadstool, tiny sticks, a Duncan, a few mushrooms, finger coral and some big tree sponges in the corner. 40 gallon 9-5 year old rock and stuff in a new tank 1 year ago moved to a bigger system so new sand added,...... old and removed.... so established and steady. Any suggestions I was looking at doing a goby system, or pipe fish since I have a huge pod population in my sump, or thought I'd get a male mandarin for my lady. Kamohara Fang Benny caught my eye and is aqua cultured, maybe a panda goby, war paint and citron? Nothing aggressive or big. ....
If your sps is still small I would be wary of of adding any clown gobies because they kill a small patch at the base of sps to lay eggs.

Adding a male mandarin to your female may be risky. If the male is in the mood to spawn and the female isn't , then the male can be aggressive and a 40g doesn't give the female much space to avoid his advances.

Small, peaceful fish that would work for this setup would include a small group of barnacle blennies, a small group of scissortail dartfish, firefish, yellow assessor, curious wormfish.
So, i have pair of snowflakes clown fish in 40 gallon shallow tank. The male died 2 days ago because of ich spread from blue tang (died too).
2 days pass, the female seem doing ok, no sign of ich, eating well, no strange behavior.

I'm thinking of introduce another smaller one ( male ) snowflake into the tank, what is the chance the old female will get along with new male?
Any tips, tricks anyone?
Thank you
Wait a few weeks for any instabilities to settle. Unless you catch out the fish, treat for disease and leave the tank fallow, then disease is still present, so letting it settle will give any new fish a better chance.

Getting a juvenile is your best shot at getting the female to accept it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any tips, tricks anyone?
Thank you

When I started in this hobby just over a year ago, I discovered something after my tank went through a bout of ich. Those fish which survived the initial assault recovered and continued to do well, while any _new_ fish would contract a severe case and die within days. It was kind of depressing.

Chances are that your female has developed a partial immunity which will protect her for about six months or so, but any new fish that you introduce won't be so lucky.

I wound up setting up a quarantine tank, treating all of my fish with chelated copper, and leaving the display empty of fish for 76 days - a "fallow period". I've quarantined every fish since (in batches, 'cause I'm kind of a fish-a-holic), and haven't had any serious issues in the display since.

~Bruce

Calla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This looks like a good place to post my questions. Here's some basic info:

Tank: 36g Bowfront DT (~2m old) with LR and ~2.5in LS substrate (no sump yet, )
Livestock: 2 Black PCF, 1 Randall's Goby (+pistol shrimp lover), 1 Pep Shrimp, 8 thousand snails/hermits
Coral: Zoas and Palys, GSP

Just a few livestock-related things.
  1. I was thinking of some sort of anemone for my clownies to host, but my tank's not there yet, still needs a couple of months of being established to get to that magical 6 month mark. In the meantime wondering if I should add more livestock to my 36g, and if so, what I should add? I plan to fill most of the tank with mixed coral and don't know if my tank seems understocked despite my snails and hermits.
  2. The Randall's was not my first choice, it was a Yasha, but no one had one in any LFS and I wasn't quite to the point where I wanted to buy things other than coral online yet. If I were to order a Yasha, would it and the Randall's get into it? I've read around and the general answer seems to be yes, but some forums have stated their gobies just face off and leave each other alone for the most part. However, their tanks generally seem to be larger than mine.
  3. Lastly, I like the look of the Money/Gold Ring Cowries, but not sure if I should get them as my tank is still more or less a baby. Would they need a very well established tank to prevent them from gnawing on the coral?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just very excited about my new hobby and am overflowing with them.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an Anthia who will be ok eat once a day,good in 60 and alone?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This looks like a good place to post my questions. Here's some basic info:

Tank: 36g Bowfront DT (~2m old) with LR and ~2.5in LS substrate (no sump yet, )
Livestock: 2 Black PCF, 1 Randall's Goby (+pistol shrimp lover), 1 Pep Shrimp, 8 thousand snails/hermits
Coral: Zoas and Palys, GSP

Just a few livestock-related things.
  1. I was thinking of some sort of anemone for my clownies to host, but my tank's not there yet, still needs a couple of months of being established to get to that magical 6 month mark. In the meantime wondering if I should add more livestock to my 36g, and if so, what I should add? I plan to fill most of the tank with mixed coral and don't know if my tank seems understocked despite my snails and hermits.
  2. The Randall's was not my first choice, it was a Yasha, but no one had one in any LFS and I wasn't quite to the point where I wanted to buy things other than coral online yet. If I were to order a Yasha, would it and the Randall's get into it? I've read around and the general answer seems to be yes, but some forums have stated their gobies just face off and leave each other alone for the most part. However, their tanks generally seem to be larger than mine.
  3. Lastly, I like the look of the Money/Gold Ring Cowries, but not sure if I should get them as my tank is still more or less a baby. Would they need a very well established tank to prevent them from gnawing on the coral?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just very excited about my new hobby and am overflowing with them.
A yasha should be fine. The randalls shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Skip the cowrie. Even in an established tank they may still eat coral.

I wouldn't get too many corals before you get an anemone. Anemones have a tendency to walk around and sting corals in their path.
Is there an Anthia who will be ok eat once a day,good in 60 and alone?
If those are your parameters, then skip anthias.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going be like 1 fish in tank... I have other(5)
My LFS has some nice Anthias and thought I could have one in my tank...Oh well if I can't I can't.
THX FOR ALL HELP!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back