Need help to ID this frag. Maybe a Goniopora?

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently got a this frag from a fellow reefer and have no idea what it is. I think it's sps and someone told me it's a type of goniopora but I can't find anything online that looks similar to this... The frag is about the size of a quarter and the polyps are super tiny. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Looking for specific name of this coral.
IMG_20170101_195616825-3006x4008.jpg

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Alveopora minuta or Astreopora possibly. Usually Gonipora have 24 tips in the polyps and Alveopora have 12 tips.
I can't find anything online that even looks similar to this. I constantly get mixed answers Everytime I ask. I reached out to the guy who gave it to me but he won't text me back.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find anything online that even looks similar to this. I constantly get mixed answers Everytime I ask. I reached out to the guy who gave it to me but he won't text me back.
Look up micro Alveopora or Alvepora Minuta. It looks somewhat similar to the Long Neon Polyp Joker Monti that ASD sells. I don't think it's a true monti but one of the so called Micro Alveopora which has smaller polyps than most Alveopora but larger Polpys than most monti's.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1194.JPG
Look up micro Alveopora or Alvepora Minuta. It looks somewhat similar to the Long Neon Polyp Joker Monti that ASD sells. I don't think it's a true monti but one of the so called Micro Alveopora which has smaller polyps than most Alveopora but larger Polpys than most monti's.
Here is a pic of mine. Picked it up from ASD and there have been others that have questioned if it's really a monti.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1194.JPG

Here is a pic of mine. Picked it up from ASD and there have been others that have questioned if it's really a monti.
That kinda looks like a flower pot coral. I looked online a bit and the thing that looks closest to the size and cluster of my polyps is lapestrea. I honestly don't know though. Those polyps on yours are way longer than mine. My polyps flower straight from the skeleton or flesh. There's like no stem on mine at all.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1194.JPG

They are like very miniscule bumps when closed up. Almost like a monti but way bigger when they open up.
IMG_20170101_221204095-1318x1758.jpg

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually when I type in large polyp Montipora, most pis I see look like what mine looks like. Hmm. Now to narrow it down to what it's called lol

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kinda looks like a flower pot coral. I looked online a bit and the thing that looks closest to the size and cluster of my polyps is lapestrea. I honestly don't know though. Those polyps on yours are way longer than mine. My polyps flower straight from the skeleton or flesh. There's like no stem on mine at all.
Flower pot corals polyps are much longer. The pic of mine was taken in high flow. Usually the polyps are much more compact like the ones from your pic. It may just take time for yours to grow out a bit and be positively identified. It's definatly not Leptastrea.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually when I type in large polyp Montipora, most pis I see look like what mine looks like. Hmm. Now to narrow it down to what it's called lol
Mine has purple flesh with neon green polyps. It prefers high-moderate flow and low light. To much light and the polyps become almost clear and the flesh turns light purple to pinkish.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Alveopora.
The polyps on mine look as small as this. This is a pic of encrusting monti. I remember him saying it was a type of monti when he gave it to me but I couldn't quite remember. The polyps on the alveopora are still too long to be what I have.
Montipora-sp-Neon-Green-and-Pink-Encursting-Frag-1-Top.jpg

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1194.JPG

Okay I finally got an answer back from the man who gave it to me. It's a frag from his spongodes Montipora.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back