Need some help. Getting frustrated

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I have a 125 and I am having trouble. Seems like just about every LPS frag I buy I kill. So here are my specs.

Lighting: 3 Kessil a360 we tuna blues.
Temp: 77
Ph: 8.3
SG: 0.025
Nitrate: 0
Phos: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alk: 7.7
Calcium: 420

I use an RODI testing 0 TDS

I do have a flame angel and foxface but I have never witnessed either pecking at them. I used to have a 55 gallon reef tank that thrived but I broke it down when I moved and started this tank. This tank has been running for 4ish years. I have a 8 RBTA nems ( splits over the years) 1 chalice that is doing well. Green star polyps, pulsing Xenia, nuke green polyps and a Duncan frag all doing well. I have gone through several hammer frags and I have a blasto that is not doing well. Sorry for the long post. Just getting frustrating.

IMG_1975.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you placing the corals that are having issues?
Are you running any charcoal?

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been moving them all over trying to find a spot they like. But the blasto is on the sand right now. I had the hammer high up the. On the sand now in the middle. Pineapple coral is receding as well. I have also lightened up my flow. Changed modes on the wavemakers. I do have a carbon reactor Plummer on my return line however I have not been using it

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had t5 lights on the tank prior to the Kessils and lps was dying then I chalked it up to being not enough light because it was my old light for my 55. It was a 4 foot 4 bulb t5 with ATI bulbs

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Magnessium level and what test kit you used on the Alk?

Imho. I would check the intesity on those Kessil. Your LPSes on the 55g already adapted to the lights. However, if the new LPSes you add later is fully adjust to the light level.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I have a 125 and I am having trouble. Seems like just about every LPS frag I buy I kill. So here are my specs.

Lighting: 3 Kessil a360 we tuna blues.
Temp: 77
Ph: 8.3
SG: 0.025
Nitrate: 0
Phos: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alk: 7.7
Calcium: 420

I use an RODI testing 0 TDS

I do have a flame angel and foxface but I have never witnessed either pecking at them. I used to have a 55 gallon reef tank that thrived but I broke it down when I moved and started this tank. This tank has been running for 4ish years. I have a 8 RBTA nems ( splits over the years) 1 chalice that is doing well. Green star polyps, pulsing Xenia, nuke green polyps and a Duncan frag all doing well. I have gone through several hammer frags and I have a blasto that is not doing well. Sorry for the long post. Just getting frustrating.

IMG_1975.JPG
Your Po4 and No3 are at zero. Are you feeding your corals? this not enough nutrients for good health.

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot to post mag level which is 1275 ppm. I'm using Red Sea test kits. I'm just guessing nitrates and phosphates are reading 0 because of my cheato?

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding the blasto mysis which it's been accepting. And I dose phyto. And I feed LRS Reef Frenzy

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my blasto in a shaded area about an hr ago and I'm noticing is starting to open up. I'm wondering if I'm nuking the frags. I have a 10 hr photo period. Ramping up to 45 % color and 75 % output for 5 hrs befor ramping back down.

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Magnessium level and what test kit you used on the Alk?

Imho. I would check the intesity on those Kessil. Your LPSes on the 55g already adapted to the lights. However, if the new LPSes you add later is fully adjust to the light level.
These are all new corals. I sold off my old tank before I moved

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are alot brighter than you think or see. I'd turn them down. I had two 360w on a 57 gallon and I was blasting everything once I turned down my intensity of got better

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% is a lot for LPS. I don't see any SPS but If you really need that much strength I'd back them off to 50% and acclimate 5% over 2 week periods until you get back up there.

FWIW, my 360wr is running at 60% power and I'm keeping SPS.

OP
OP
stevec23

stevec23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will back the intensity down. I just got the lights around Christmas time. And I was trying to match the intensity of the t5 lights. I don't have a par meter I was just trying to eyeball it.

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try a shorter lighting period too like 8 hours and see how they do. Then slowly go up.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Def get an "accurate" kit for N03 and P04 if you don't already have them. LPS can be really sensitive of drastic nutrient swings especially phosphate. There's plenty of evidence on it here and online when people aggressively run gfo and strip the tank overnight.. Same differnce especially if they came from a system that was nutrient rich. Not saying that's the case for sure but it's a good thing to check..

Guessing on it can be detrimental and a headache with more sensitive species if your really ulns and don't supplement. .

I also totally agree with the intensity/duration of your Led's.. They are hard to gauge how strong they are based on eye alone when coming from MH or T5. They are a total different animal and seem dimmer when in reality they are like lasers lol.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot to post mag level which is 1275 ppm. I'm using Red Sea test kits. I'm just guessing nitrates and phosphates are reading 0 because of my cheato?
regardless of the reason, it can impact coral growth, just as too much or too little light does. You can start with target feeding the corals , especially after lights out at night, and see if you get some positive results.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back