Need some sump suggestions

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a 225g tank. I need to get a sump made because the ones I've seen online aren't big enough for what I want to do.
Synergy cl44
Bashsea ss60
These r the two that have caught my eye. During to their excellent construction, size, availability of different colors and readiness for reactors.
Plan is to make my sump as long as my tank(72 inches) but MUST have an integrated Ato reservoir and a fuge area of at least 36x20. Anyone with any serious suggestions.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id get a custom made sump tailored to your exact specifications and advices of others. :)

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm leaning towards but I don't want just a box with baffles made if you know what I mean.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me either. They can make filter sock holders, skimmer compartments, a refugium area, dsb area. Detritus settlement area. A spot to hold ph probes. Colored glass. Lots of optioms. :)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sorry. Youd have to call around to some lfs.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of nice sumps out there... and ones that can be custom built. I've been really impressed with my @Elite-Aquatics sump. Mine is not really custom, but they can absolutely build you a full custom sump. They can utilize various colors of acrylic. Their standard color combo is white with red baffles... I had them do orange baffles for obvious reasons. I really like the viewing windows and top cap to keep splashing at bay. Tell them Broadfield from R2R referred you!

IMG_7088 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7770 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced Acrylics does a great job with custom sumps and integrated ATOs. I didn't have room for the integrated ATO so had them build me a custom ATO as well although I'm not using it yet.

IMG_1631.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop a 125 Gallon under there and use it as an open sump. I wouldn't do it any other way. :) Keep the space as flexible as possible.

Look at MRC's 48" High Flow sump to see how they do their refugium – at most I'd build a wall in my sump for something like that. The rest of the separate chambers and the baffles you typically see are a waste and a limitation IMO.

P.S. I think MRC would build that sump you had in mind. Don't like their skimmers, but I do like their sumps! :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't forget lifereef, Jeff will advise you on your project and build exactly what you want. With 29 years in the business cant go wrong in my mind. He builds sumps, refugium's, reactors, skimmers, you name it. He is about to build mine and I can't wait !!

lifereef.com

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep suggestions coming guys I'm contacting all of them to get the best build possible.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me id keep it wide open too. Id put in removeable walls, because i cant remember how many times ive needed more space, and being able to move a partition helped lots.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say buy the 40g or the 55g tank from petco and use it as a sump.
Custom tank is nice but expensive and it might not be what other people want when you go to sell it.

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 40 breeder now and by far way too small. I really want a display sump with actual functionality.

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the vote to advanced acrylics..I just ordered my custom 60" sump from John. He was really responsive and prices were great. His work looks really nice and I have seen a lot of good reviews. My sump is going to consist of a refugium that is fed by the tank overflows, then pass through 2 filter socks, so I can remove them if I ever want to, then skimmer section followed by a return section. He is putting in 2 heater holders, probe holder and effluent line holders.

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics yet and can you pm me with the price.... I'm looking for 60"-65" sump x20x20

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've contacted said companies... Are there any other ones I should look at? K know this is a hard time to actually get a quote fast but hey what can ya do lol

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check into bashsea, they are building my new sump the size I want. I went through Luke at premium aquatics to get it

OP
OP
C

chenchorp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so surprised how many companies want me to buy new equipment that they sell for the sump. I mean I drew up a diagram to scale for the equipment I already have which was purchased not too long ago. I'm so disappointed. I mean they're not even saying simple things like raise a baffle or take one out.... Smh changing the entire layout isn't what I want or need. There a reason why it's called custom. Sorry for the rant

singleshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so surprised how many companies want me to buy new equipment that they sell for the sump. I mean I drew up a diagram to scale for the equipment I already have which was purchased not too long ago. I'm so disappointed. I mean they're not even saying simple things like raise a baffle or take one out.... Smh changing the entire layout isn't what I want or need. There a reason why it's called custom. Sorry for the rant

And that's what's wrong with the world today they call it custom but it's only custom to their stuff.... well not really but you get the point.... I would go with an open 125g for the sump you can change it as you need for whatever you need and if you want a fuge you can always add on into the sump or have an external one that flows into the sump and or tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back