New 225 Gallon Build

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a saltwater aquarium (mainly a pufferfish) since I was doing chiclid tanks when I was a kid. When I bought my house in 2012 one of the first things I did was buy a 75 gallon aquarium set-up. It was drilled and came with a sump, so as far as I knew that's how they all were. I got it set up and cycled and went to the LFS. I found my porcupine puffer staring at me through the glass with his little smile and he was begging for me to take him home.

You probably already see my mistake (lack of research) and within 6 months I was looking for a bigger tank. I made the usual rookie mistakes and lost some fish but Sean was always a trooper. Soon after, I found a used acrylic set-up for a steal so I picked it up. It took some TLC, but I had it up and running within a month.

Here we are 3+ years later and now I am going to upgrade to hopefully Sean's forever home (or my forever home via divorce). I was working with a LFS (shout out to Yorgos at Love the Reef in Wilmington, MA) who found a customer's used glass 225 set-up. Well, that deal fell through, so Yorgos and I agreed on a brand new Aqueon 210 (I guess they use the actual internal volume, the tank is 72x24x30) and stand for a good price. I'll have to build a canopy, but I can get it up and running without that.

I now have my Porcupine Puffer, Harlequin Tusk, Foxface, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Dwarf Golden Moray Eel, and Coinbearing Angler. All are healthy and I look forward to seeing them stretch out in their new home.

Here is my current 150

The plan is to put it on the other wall (which is a structurally better location). I also wanted to tile the floor so I figured that this was the time to do it. I tiled as much as I could and I will finish it after the old tank is gone.

I brought the new tank and stand home this weekend. The thing is a beast. Aqueon lists the shipping weight at 335 pounds. Me and two buddies got it inside without harm. I painted the back glass black and put it in its new home.

I am planning on swapping over all the sand and rock in the old tank, I had a bin full of rock in the attic that I have in a heated bin right now. I bought 30 pounds more dry rock and 40 pounds of sand. Now, I need to make 75 gallons of new water that is heated and ready to go. I also need to store the 150 gallons (and livestock) in the tank while I swap over the rock/sand. I opted to go with rubbermaid bins (the method I used last time). A word of advice, don't buy the 54 gallon bins. They are too long and they don't have the structural integrity to hold water. The sides bowed out and began to crack. I returned them (10 year warranty) and bought 10 HDX 27 gallon bins which actually cost less. They are much stronger. These are the 54 gallons I returned.

I already bought a new 72" Current IC Orbit light, but I am planning on re-using all my old equipment from the 150. I oversized everything on the 150.

And advice/suggestions on the move?

IMG_20170201_185807188.jpg

IMG_20170129_154355842.jpg

IMG_20170130_180302189.jpg

IMG_20170204_111734985.jpg

IMG_20170205_164718057.jpg

IMG_20170204_085600392.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also FYI, Aqueon tanks come with black silicone now. I thought it was a Marineland thing, but this one is black. It's a bit sloppy in places so I'll have to clean it up a bit.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a similar move - albeit on a smaller scale.

Water into Brutes & bins. Livestock and rock into bins. Powerhead in bins. Move the tank across the room.

Water into tank. Liverock into tank. Fish into tank. Hit the sheets around 4:00 am.

Easy-peasy!

~Bruce

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going sand and rock into the tank before the water. I also bought a bunch of cheap heaters. It took hours to heat the water last time. This time I'm going to heat the water in the bins before

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the couple of hours I had water in bins, I turned up the thermostat in the house. (Also, never removed the sand from the tank. You can get away with that sort of shenanigans in a 65 ... less so in a 220!)

~Bruce

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat of luck with the tank transfer! Got any pics of the puffer we can see?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the day. We started at 9:00 and finally sat down on the couch at 5:00!! The fish all seem ok (I kept them in 2 heated bins with a battery powered aerator for circulation). Everything went well, almost exactly as planned, lol. It took longer than I expected for the temperature to come up but it finally did and stabilized at 79-80 degrees. I did a quick water test and there didn't seem to be any ammonia. I still added prime just to be safe. I'll take more pics tomorrow. I didn't turn the lights on today so everyone can chill for the night.

moving fish.jpg

puffer in bin.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is up and running. The puffer was pretty angry when I tried to scoop him up to go into the bin, but I got him without puffing. That was my major concern. It took about a day for the water to finally clear but it looks great now. I have to tweak the light settings (I can adjust the white, red, green, and blue) to my liking.

The puffer is really happy with his new diggs. He hasn't stopped zooming around.

I picked up some led under cabinet lighting at Home Depot so I can see what I am doing in the sump.

All in all, it went very smoothly.

IMG_20170219_165929178.jpg

IMG_20170219_170212016.jpg

IMG_20170219_171059561.jpg

IMG_20170219_182626093.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I lost my dwarf golden moray "Dizzy" in the move. I had him for 4+ years and I'm pretty bummed out. I've been concerned about him since the transfer. He has been breathing heavy and hadn't eaten. After I took him out, I found a mark in his body. I wonder if he got pricked by my foxface?? The others seem to be doing well.

dizzy.jpg

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, sorry for the loss of Dizzy,that just sucks.

But, spacially, it looks like you have less rockwork than you did in the old tank. If anything, I'd say you don't have enough. But my tank is over "rocked" as I'm planning to upgrade to just trying to get the rock-work a bit ready.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I used all the rock I had, plus I added 55 pounds of new rock. I still have a bunch of pieces I can cure again or buy more if I have an issue.

I've seen some tanks that have 1/4 as much as I have. Maybe we underestimate the amount of bacteria that our rock can support. I think of it as a filter, ornamental, and as a sense of security for the fish.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see an update :)

Sorry, I just saw this today! I'd have posted an update a long time ago!!

So, after I put the fish in, things were going well for a couple months. Suddenly my puffer died. He was the whole reason I upgraded the tank!! I was heartbroken. I lost my eel and my puffer which were probably my 2 favorites with the most personality.

I got a new puffer and eel at the LFS (I was lucky that they had a GDM!). They both settled right in. A couple weeks later, I got a new dwarf lion. After a few weeks, I noticed some spots on my puffer. The next day he was covered!!! I also noticed some heavy breathing and some distressful behavior from my tusk. I had a velvet outbreak :(:(

I was not set up for QT as hadn't had any sort of problem like this before. I tried feeding garlic, using voogle, etc. Soon after my angler died. His white skin turned red (symptom of velvet) and he died right in front of me. THAT is heartbreaking and feels helpless.

I found a used 55G on Craigslist and bought a 20g from petco. I bought air pumps, filters, etc. I bought Chloroquine Phosphate for a treatment.

I put the tang, foxface, tusk, and Eel in the 55G. I put the lion and puffer (he was still a baby) in the 20G.

In treatment, the foxface died soon after. I also lost the foxface and tang. The puffer however, was a stud. He was so infected that his skin was actually peeling but that little guy never stopped eating. He started getting a cloudy eye from the open wounds so I treated that with erythromycin. This was some advanced speed learning I was forced to go through.

I lost 4 of my 7 fish, I was running 3 tanks. My very expensive 210 was sitting fallow ( I had crabs in there), my 55g and 20g required daily WC because you can't grow a bacteria colony when there is CP in the water, my fish were dying, and at the same time my dachshund had a back disc issue. It wasn't a good time to be in my house!!

So I waited the 70 days and put my 3 remaining fish in the big tank. I kept the 55G running. I got a Mag Foxface, put him in the 55G and started a QT process. One at a time I added a Tomini tang, bicolor foxface, a painted black angler, and just recently a harlequin tusk.

The puffer is going strong and is doing very well. I lost my lion, due to my ignorance that lion's are sensitive to nitrates. I got the nitrates down to 5-10 with a sulfur denitrator and got a new fuzzy dwarf.

With every mistake I learn, unfortunately a "mistake" in this hobby is something dying. That's the last thing I want, and I truly take it very hard.

Also, and very important, Fritz's back healed up nicely and he is also going strong!! He's nudging me as I write this!

Here is Andy eating a shrimp, he's a hungry boy!

20190611_152343.jpg 20171209_213517.png IMG_20190810_132516.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back