New 26g tank that's cycled- some questions.

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So within the past 2 months I bought a saltwater tank setup. I've had freshwater for 6 years (since I was 16) and I wanted to upgrade. I went to Elmers Aquarium Store in Monroeville PA. I'm always very impressed with that place, and their knowledgeable staff. So telling the kid I don't want to spend over 2k, he helps me get together a nice 26g tank with almost everything I need. Now I've added live rock, and little Nerite snails to enjoy the tank while I go on vacation. (I didn't want to have anyone babysit brand new fish). I'm more or less posting pictures and the like to get opinions. I have a 26g bow front tank, aragonite white reef sand, Coralite hood/light fixture including Actinic, bright 10,000k, and blue led lights (for show). Koralia power head, a 90g rated mechanical filter and a bunch of other stuff. (See pictures). Now, I was told to also buy a protein skimmer, which I always planned on doing. However, now I'm being told that you can get away without a mechanical filter if you have a protein skimmer. Is this true? Also, I have a slight diatom problem which I've been treating (siphoning out the brown dustings on the substrate). Now I'm getting a light gray dusting on the sandbed. Any advice for a SW newbie? I also eventually plan on getting corals, thus the 200$ light fixture.

SDC11793.jpg

SDC11796.jpg

SDC11799.jpg

SDC11802.jpg

Last edited:

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people don't use mechanical filtration myself being one. I just have live rock and a skimmer and I have zeros across the board...

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are part of the cycling process and they will go away in time. Yes some people just use a skimmer.....however a skimmer is not a mechanical filter and does not take out solids. Its personal preferance and opinion I guess but a tank without some kind of mechanical filtration will eventually get very dirty with all the solids that keep recirculating in the water column and settle in your sand bed or rocks.......

Also put some kind of background on your tank to hide all the equipment it will look much nicer. Good luck................

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah That's my next thing. Plus we're going to put the strip underneath the actual tank to hide all the wires. And is my powerhead positioning okay? I can't seem to get it to kick up the debris at the bottom of the tank. Thanks for the good advice so far! I figure I can keep the mechanical filtration along with a protein skimmer eventually. I replace and clean the mechanical filter every 3-4 weeks.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like the bowfront, nice tank ! :)

i would run at least a couple powerheads to create some nice flow in the tank. as far as positioning its kind of hard to say. you may have to play with the positioning. you can add one on the other side pointing to the opposite side like you have the other that should help with some flow.

as far as filtration, you def. have to have some sort of filtration, even if you add a skimmer. i think your hob filter should be fine, just keep up with cleaning it you could also add some phosphate remover to the system. they have a filter type media that you cut to fit your hob that would work (it includes phosphate remover and carbon in it) i use to use it in my biocube.

i would def. try to pick up a skimmer, it will help to remove all the fish crud and to keep you system cleaner.

what type corals are you planning on keeping in the tank?

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a good start if and when you add more live rock make sure it is pre cycled and also remember to quarntine everything you buy. you will have less problems later on. and will want to stay in the hobby as it will soon get addicting hehehehehehe

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. I'm not sure which corals I'll get yet. I wanted an anemone with my corals but I was told since they move around they can kill off my corals. I'll probably start off with some mushrooms and zoanthids. Something not too hard. Also, my little nerites keep dying off, and I'm not sure why. The guy from the store just told me it was basic acclimation problems.

Cherish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about the anemone, especially if you get a BTA. They don't move that much, even under extreme stress (I starved my first one... oops :crossedlips:). Plus, if you have things like zoas/palys, they can close up and prevent damage even if the anemone chose to move over them.

'Nems are finicky though, so it is a good idea to give your tank a few months to really settle into a stable groove before adding one.

And +1 on adding another power head on the side opposite where you have yours.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my 2 cents.

I would suggest anemone for an established tank. As already people have eluded here that they are very finicky. They will move and sometimes it becomes a pain and not easy to remove them with out damaging them. Since its a new tank I would suggest to wait atleast 6-8 months before putting anemone. Shrooms , zoas and palys are a good way to start. Keep up with your water change and slowly you should be able to get through the cycling.

PLNelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks looks great. I love bow fronts. I've had a 46 and a 72. You can keep your HOB filter if you become religious about replacing or thouroghly cleaning the inserts every week or two, tops. If you keep them in there longer than that, you will be placing you inhabitants and passion for this hobby on the line. Since the inserts only capture the crud, and don't remove it from the system, they will still break down and polute your water, leaching nasty Phosphate and Nitrates into your system, giving you a bad case of algea, or worse, death. I have never run a mechanical filter for this reason, unless I'm running carbon for a few days. Definitely invest in a skimmer. CPR makes good ones that would fit nicely on that system, and if you can find a used one, they are usually a good price.

With the light fixture you wont be able to keep any higher light corals such as Acros, but it will do nicely for Shrooms and zoas and a lot of LPS, think Favia, Lobos, Acans.

Again, it looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely invest in a skimmer. CPR makes good ones that would fit nicely on that system, and if you can find a used one, they are usually a good price.

Awesome advice! Actually, a a few weeks ago I got a CPR 2 Bakpak. It's already paid for itself a million times over. Wasn't expensive, and I get such crap out of it, it's absolutely amazing. I still run my hob filter for solids, and I change it every 2-3 weeks. It's got carbon in it, and I also supplement with Pura Phoslock for my teeny amount of phosphates.

So far in ways of critters I own 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 little hermit, 2 mushroom frags, and a little starburst polyp. Everything looks so amazingly healthy, I'm pretty impressed!

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, no way. The tank, stand, salt, rocks, light fixture with bulbs, sand, HOB filter, Koralia, test kit with chemicals, was around 800$ I think. I went back for more live rock later, including a protein skimmer and the corals and fishies were add ons. All in all I've probably spent around 1,000-1,200$ for everything I have now. :) I threw away the receipts since I have online banking, but I wish I had kept it to tabulate everything out for you.

rick8335

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, looks like your going to have fun with everything. The first year is a big learning expierence. I swithched over to sw about 7 years ago and that first year I gleaned so much from friends in the hobby. If your LFS is a good person really listen to what they have to say, and ASK QUESTIONS!!!! Take advantage of this site, everyone will be happy to keep you in the right direction.
Rich

Back