New Anemone Hiding

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a beautiful rose bubble tip anemone. He was placed in my 75 gallon tank on the bottom and unfortunately he has decided to wedge himself in a cave-like area under a rock. He appears to be perfectly healthy and is a beautiful deep red. I did notice that one of the two clownfish has become aware of his presence and will go up to him, but he can not "host" it yet due to the position of the anemone. Will he eventually move out to a more "open" area as to fully extend the tentacles or is this permanent? Here is a photo:

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Attachments

• 100_8929.jpg
    100_8929.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5,033

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very common thing to happen when you introduce a new anemone to your tank. They are stressed and have to acclimate to new flow and lighthing conditions. Some of mine do this when I first get them. Some people recommend turning off the flow in the powerheads until they settle as they can detach and float and get shredded.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea its most likely just adjusting to the light. Your reef probaly has more light than the tank it came from. No need for concern yet.

OP
OP
K

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I have turned off the powerhead for now. I will try and feed him soon and see if he'll take a small piece of a silversides.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking rbta, i usually wait a week to feed new nems...trying to put as little stress as possible on them. my bta's also prefer fresh scallops over silversides any day... best of luck

OP
OP
K

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried to feed him a piece of silversides but every snail/crab in my tank came out of the woodwork and scared him. I'll try again in a couple of days I suppose. This is my first nem so I'm learning and trying to be as accommodating as possible to him. Will keep you posted, thank you all for the input.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont ever hesitate to pm questions to those of us on the forums...do you hae a thread with your whole set up? lighting filers ect?

OP
OP
K

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't. Is this something I can set up in my profile? I currently run a 75 gallon tank, 50 lbs. rock, 60 lbs. sand, Emperor 400 filter, Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer, one Korilla 750 powerhead, and a small snail/crab cleanup crew. Just bought a 260 watt light fixture with some blue actinic lights as well. Tankmates are currently a juvi blue tang and two oscellaris clowns.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice anemone and welcome to R2R!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep an eye on the anemone moving too close to the powerhead. keep us posted. RBTA looks good. :)

OP
OP
K

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here his is today. I assume he looks to be healthy. I fed him some mysis shrimp earlier.

Will either of my two oscellaris clowns host it if it hasn't within the first 48 hours? They just swim by it. Is it too small to be considered a hostable anemone? Was kind of hoping they would notice it by now.

100_8974.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here his is today. I assume he looks to be healthy. I fed him some mysis shrimp earlier.

Will either of my two oscellaris clowns host it if it hasn't within the first 48 hours? They just swim by it. Is it too small to be considered a hostable anemone? Was kind of hoping they would notice it by now.

100_8974.jpg

You just never know with clowns. I have seen some clowns never host anything and some will host anything. I have seen giant clarkii clowns hosting the smallest anemone they would not even fit in. Sometimes it takes time.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure his has been said but if you want a clown that is promised to host get a maroon. They don't steal food like percs ....they feed and host....my 1 maroon now hosts 8 anemones....feeds all of them like a busy little bee during feeding time....makes me wonder if the clown even eats

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my maroon opens nems in morning and closes em at night....he brings every new anemone into the light and keeps them in place....once he starts hosting I have yet to see a nem move....and again I have 8

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a hosting clown almost always increases the health of a host anemone. They tend to be much happier.

OP
OP
K

KDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and a question. My new rose bubble tip anemone appears to be doing very well. I've learned that he does not like the powerhead one bit so I have turned it off for now until I can figure out how to aim the powerhead so that he is not disturbed. I have noticed that one of my two oscellaris clowns will host the nem but ONLY at night when the nem contracts and shrivels up and goes into his little cave for the evening. He has no interest when it is fully expanded during the day. Is this a sign that my clownfish would prefer another type of anemone to host? I am a newbie but I am guessing that he would prefer one with smaller, skinnier tentacles. Please advise.

Kevin

Last edited:

hsiFcixelsyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a green tip bubble nem, he is hiding inside a hollowed out rock since yesterday, when do I become concered about it not coming out

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back