New Dispar Anthias Hiding

wabooth555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days ago, I added 3 Dispar Anthias (from liveaquaria).

They have been in the back of the tank, behind the rock since they were added. It's very hard to see them.

Current fish:
Yellow tang
Blue tang
Percula clown
Banjai cardinal
Tail spot blenny

I'm thinking that I may need to rearrange my rock (which I don't want to do) in order to mess up any established territories.

Do they normally hide at first?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for a day or two is pretty normal. Rearranging the rock will make them hide longer.

Increase the flow above the rockwork. They like high flow.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one about 4 days ago, hes still hiding under one of the rocks in pretty decent flow.
When I get home, I catch him out in the open before he sees me and dives under the rocks lol I, however, only have a blenny in there with him.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very shy fish. You may also want to reduce the light/dim down to help them acclimate better

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dispars are fairly shallow water fish. Brightness shouldn't affect them as much as deeper water species.

OP
OP
W

wabooth555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I'll give them a couple more days before I do anything drastic. I'm afraid that they're not eating and are going to starve to death, because I can't see them.

I did increase the flow above the rock, so hopefully that works.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but they are shy, dimming the lights is a good practice for the addition of anything
Not for fish that are social, found in shallow waters, and diurnal. Dim lighting in nature is when things get especially dangerous for diurnal fish, as dusk, night, and dawn are when all the big predators come out in droves. Dim lighting will add to the stress, not diminish it for these guys.

And actually, dispars are not a shy fish. Other than squamipinnis, dispars are one of the most photographed species of coral reef fishes due to their outgoing nature.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I'll give them a couple more days before I do anything drastic. I'm afraid that they're not eating and are going to starve to death, because I can't see them.

I did increase the flow above the rock, so hopefully that works.
I wouldnt worry too much about that. As long as theyre healthy, they will catch what the current brings to them. Mine will dart out once or twice to grab mysis.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for fish that are social, found in shallow waters, and diurnal. Dim lighting in nature is when things get especially dangerous for diurnal fish, as dusk, night, and dawn are when all the big predators come out in droves. Dim lighting will add to the stress, not diminish it for these guys.

And actually, dispars are not a shy fish. Other than squamipinnis, dispars are one of the most photographed species of coral reef fishes due to their outgoing nature.
thats great news! theyre so beautiful-cant wait for her/him to be out in the open more

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back