New Display Tank

jpetry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

This is one of my first posts on Reef 2 Reef, but I'm not new to the hobby. My recent hobby has been with beardies while I still have them I'm looking to getting a reef tank going again.

Recently I purchased a beardie from a lady who was looking to get rid of everything. When my buddy and I were moving the tank we happened to notice that the tank was custom built with an overflow corner already drilled. However, one of my concerns is there this tank was used for a reptile. Knowing that I'll have to completely tear apart and redo the silicone. Is there anything else I need to do?

How do I go about putting in an a new partition for the overflow has it was taken out? What type of silicone can I use, I really like the black color? Finally any good suggestions on websites for designing a stand?

GEDC2359.jpg
GEDC2360.jpg
GEDC2363.jpg
GEDC2362.jpg

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for someone to chime in here!

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean it real good with a lttle bleach. Then vinegar. I know people get nervous using reptile tanks but personally I've never heard of a problem. Doesn't mean they don't exist. I think rinsing it real well would be fine.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a good bleaching then a vinegar bath would be sufficient. As for silicone just use any that is 100 percent silicone with no mildew killing type additives.

As for adding an overflow I have seen many people make acrylic overflow box's and then drill the back side of the tank and place a bulkhead in there.

Stand design all depends on what you want the finished product to be. I'd start off with framing it up with 2"x 4" framing 16" on centers and then skin it with whichever type of skin looks good to you.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of anything in the reptile world that could cause issues if you clean the tank with bleach and reseal it.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is when I first set up my 55 I didn't think it was a problem that the center brace had been broken by the previous owner. Half full of water it was not but when I filled it the next day it bowed a little and started leaking from the bottom. I immediately pulled the ball python out of my daughter's 55, gave it a quick clean up (didn't even bleach and vinegar it) and transferred the new set up into it. That was in August 2006 and I have had no issues or crashes since.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back