OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's her. She and her hubs Bruno. If anyone hears from them, have her get in touch with me. I need some info from her.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be in room 101, check it out!
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have group rates for anyone who wants to stay the night before with the Best Western in Mansfield CT (5 min down the road) and the Nathan Hale Inn (just across the parking lot behind the school). Just let them know you are with the Frag Farmer's Market and you should get the discounted rate!

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it turns out that the Nathan Hale Inn is not quite as accommodating. They are reneging on the deal that they quoted me on the phone. You are welcome to book with them but they are not going to honor the group rate that the woman quoted me - so you are on your own with them. Its close but not exactly on my good side right now... The Best Western is still good and only a short ride down the street. Sorry for the confusion!

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys we are a month out...let's see some lists! We have an empty tank and need to start preordering!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is being set up for the tank?

I have a JBJ RL-20 that I probably wouldn't be able to get set up before the FFM. I meant to offer it for club use a couple weeks ago, but kept forgetting to post it.

I don't have proper lighting for it yet, but I could probably rig something up with a few cheap chinese 15W PAR20 LEDs. Not the best, but it should be bright enough for the depth of the tank.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no frags to offer, maybe next year.

Fitch, do you know if anybody is planning on bringing a selection of NPS?

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say a selection, but there are always some there. Best bet, post that you are looking for it in the different forums and see who responds with "I have that!" I am always amazed at the variety of things that I see at the FFM.

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is being set up for the tank?

I have a JBJ RL-20 that I probably wouldn't be able to get set up before the FFM. I meant to offer it for club use a couple weeks ago, but kept forgetting to post it.

I don't have proper lighting for it yet, but I could probably rig something up with a few cheap chinese 15W PAR20 LEDs. Not the best, but it should be bright enough for the depth of the tank.

Thank you for the generous offer, but the club has a frag tank.

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have been asking for a floor plan for the FFM. It keeps changing as more and more companies ask to be a part of the FFM, but here is what it looks like right now. This is easily the best FFM lineup I have ever seen. Totally worth the ride down...

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the generous offer, but the club has a frag tank.

Nice! I wasn't aware of that.

If club members step it up and you need the extra space, the offer still stands. (Although I'm sure rotating stock would work just fine)

Fitch, I though last year covered a lot more space.... This thing just keeps growing.

I see the area with the clubs, did you reach out to the Westerm Mass Area Reef Society? I think they have only been around for the past couple of years and mostly have a presence on Facebook. I believe they do monthly meetings and stuff. I'd imagine they would appreciate bring a part of the FFM and getting some extra exposure. I'm sure it would bring in a few new attendees as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my FFM FAQ- these are the questions that I have fielded via email, PM and text.

Why go to the FFM?
It is the single biggest aggregation of coral sellers you will ever see. The FFM has added a significant number of "dry goods" vendors as well but that is not included in the 60+ sellers, ALL selling corals. If you are looking for frags, or just want to hang out and talk reefs with some of the best growers in the area, you want the FFM. You will find everything from the basic “weed” species to the coral that you have never heard of, or only seen on the internet. You can shop at anything from the Jason Fox to a hobbyist from NY who grows in his sump. NONE of the other area shows can offer even close to the sheer number of vendors or corals that the FFM can. This is the ultimate frag shopping experience.

How do I get tickets?
There are no advanced ticket sales for the FFM. Admission is $5 at the door and no one will be turned away. Spouses get in free. Children under 12 get in free. Bring the crew along. I think it is important to promote the hobby in terms of something you can do with your spouse, and even more so, with your kids. $5 isn't much to get into something like the FFM anyway, but free is even better! Doors open to the public at 11am and close at 5pm.

What should I bring?
Most people will bring along a cooler of some sort to hold their corals in for the day. Other than that, you don’t need much. I always recommend bringing about 2-3X the money that you think you will spend. I have never heard of anyone who said “I brought too much money.” I usually hear quite the opposite. The FFM only happens once a year and it brings together the best coral vendors and hobbyists from all over the country. You will find what you are looking for and then three other things you can’t leave without!

I heard parking is bad there, what can I do?
Parking is not as bad as people think, if you know where the lots are. There is a small lot in front of the school, which fills up quickly. There is also a lot on the left side of the school (if you are facing the front) with more spots in it. Those are the two school lots. Across the street there is a parking garage, which quite a bit of parking in it. Lastly, UConn has a big lot if you go down the road just to the right of the school and past the school just a touch- still a short walk, but you start out behind the school. With the number of restaurants and businesses that have set-up shop across the street, the parking has gotten better and better, if you know where to look! I think people just try the lot in the front of the school and that is small and fills up quick.

Can I sell coral at the FFM?
There are 60+ vendors at the FFM, all of whom signed up far in advance, and made a donation to the school project to reserve a space. In fairness to them, there will not be spaces provided for attendees to sell. If you are interested in selling next year, please get in touch with me at [email protected], ASAP, and I will add you to the contact list.

Where does all the money go?
The FFM is the main fundraiser for the E.O. Smith Coral project, which has been up and running for almost 15+ years now. I house 800+ gallons of coral growing systems at the school and involve students in the project in a number of ways. The admissions, and raffle proceeds, all go to help run the project. It gives me the ability to buy corals that students want to work with, and equipment that they need to carry out their experiments. With the success of the FFM over the past few years, I have also started giving out scholarships to graduating students who have shown interest in marine/conservation related fields. In the last two years I have given $2000 to graduating seniors and will be giving even more this year. The project, and the FFM, have become so successful that I have been able to help other teachers get the equipment that they need to start reef tanks in their classrooms and plan to continue to do so. In the end, all of the money goes into education. I am not a reef club, I am a teacher, and the FFM run by me as a part of the school.

How does the raffle work?
This year's raffle is the biggest one I have ever seen at the FFM, with some things in it that have never been in before. It is HUGE!
The main raffle will be pulled at 4pm, just before the market closes. Raffle tickets are available from a few people walking around during the day with the red FFM shirts on, or from me in room 107. The tickets are $1 each, 6 for $5 or 25 for $20. I do not sell tickets ahead of time, only at the show.
I have also started an “Easy Raffle List” for people to sign up for on the computer in my room, or on the laptops by the entrance. You put in your information and get a number. Rather than write all of your info on all of your tickets (which is a PAIN!), you just put your number. If you are not there when you win, no worries, I can get it touch with you!

Do I have to be present to win?
For most items, no. I will ship any item that it is feasible to ship. Items that cannot be shipped, will be labeled with a “No Ship” tag. If I can’t ship it and you live “close” we can work something out to get the item to you. If you are not sure, stop and see me and we can figure something out. The week after the FFM, I spend a fair amount of time packing and mailing things to people. As an attendee to other shows, I there have been a ton of raffles that I didn’t enter because I wasn’t going to be there to win. If you find something you really want, buy some tickets, throw them in and I will do my best to get it to you.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM, or an email and I will do what I can to help you out!

Thanks-
Jon

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody going to Shoreline pet in Old Saybrook today? big sale and raffle...

Also add the CTARS meeting to your schedules today! Coral Feeding and Tank Dosing discussion plus we are raffling off a $350+ Kamoer doser with rack. Also raffling assorted coral foods and a coral feeder. Starts at 5 at the Lutz museum in Manchester.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I wasn't aware of that.

If club members step it up and you need the extra space, the offer still stands. (Although I'm sure rotating stock would work just fine)

Fitch, I though last year covered a lot more space.... This thing just keeps growing.

I see the area with the clubs, did you reach out to the Westerm Mass Area Reef Society? I think they have only been around for the past couple of years and mostly have a presence on Facebook. I believe they do monthly meetings and stuff. I'd imagine they would appreciate bring a part of the FFM and getting some extra exposure. I'm sure it would bring in a few new attendees as well.

I was a part of starting the Western Mass Group with @blastomaster but there haven't been meetings in a while. We tried hard but couldn't get attendance regularly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back