New led lights make my aquarium look pink.

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new lighttimetunnel 165wats led lights i just purchased make my aquarium look pinkish is this ok i have the whites at 10 % and blues at 20% is this color ok for corals ?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be finding the wrong lights, but the only "lighttimetunnel" lights I cam find are for plants, not coral. The pink look also suggests that these a plant grow lights and not intended for aquarium use. Is there any way you could link the lights you got for a little more research?

OP
OP
M

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... maybe try just turning up your blues more. Be careful with turning them up too fast though, wouldn't want to bleach any corals!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are on, turn off the Really Red LED's. (Hopefully they are separately adjustable!)

Including red LED's is a fad in reef lighting – not necessary, and they can definitely make things look funny. :)

OP
OP
M

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the corals are doing well they are more open now than when i had my power compacts beside looking kind of pinkish will it affect my corals .

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....in head to head tests, light slanted in blue made corals more colorful than similar red-tinted light. (Joshi's 10kK vx 20kK grow out tests.)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't turn off red individually, which I think they are on the white channel from the link, you could cover them with electrical tape to block the red light...

OP
OP
M

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of returning them purchased on Amazon I see other black box brand of these led lights that look similar can someone help me with which ones to exchange for thanks.

NumberFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend SB Reef lights:
https://www.amazon.com/SB-Reef-Ligh...qid=1485524386&sr=8-2&keywords=sb+reef+lights

Mike Herman is a sponsor here and his lights are much better than the average chinese black box. Mike has designed these lights to have more PAR, which corals need. Much more blue, in my opinion, than the standard black box. They also have more of the cool white led's (bluer white) which, although still strong, don't cook corals as quickly as some of the other black box leds (my opinion). I have 2 of the 16" wifi led's and they are growing my corals very well. The link that I have posted is of their basic 16" led. It's the same light I have, it is just not programmable. Best of luck!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of returning them purchased on Amazon I see other black box brand of these led lights that look similar can someone help me with which ones to exchange for thanks.

If you can do a return vs exchange, then you may have different options.

Do you have a local pet shop? If so, what do they carry and any idea what they could order in for you?

From the Amazon options so far, I like the recommendations so far. You can also get something like the Current USA Orbit series and other major brands on there.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

OP
OP
M

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do a return vs exchange, then you may have different options.

Do you have a local pet shop? If so, what do they carry and any idea what they could order in for you?

From the Amazon options so far, I like the recommendations so far. You can also get something like the Current USA Orbit series and other major brands on there.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this?
PENTAGON-228x228.jpg

Listing I found says 30 x 30 x 25"H, so please verify if that describes your tank before taking this advice. :)

Corner tanks are notoriously tough to light.

Here's one idea using two Current USA Orbit Marine Pro lights....one 24" and one 18":
Corner hex.jpg

Here's another using Kessil's recommendation for a 55 Corner....three A150's covering 12" each (for max penetration):
Corner Hex spotlights.jpg

Their recommendation for a 92 Gallon corner tank is four A150's, BTW.
http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/calculator.php

Obviously these examples don't account for your rock layout or anything else, so just ideas to get you thinking! :)

OP
OP
M

mlopezk8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this?
PENTAGON-228x228.jpg

Listing I found says 30 x 30 x 25"H, so please verify if that describes your tank before taking this advice. :)

Corner tanks are notoriously tough to light.

Here's one idea using two Current USA Orbit Marine Pro lights....one 24" and one 18":
Corner hex.jpg

Here's another using Kessil's recommendation for a 55 Corner....three A150's covering 12" each (for max penetration):
Corner Hex spotlights.jpg

Their recommendation for a 92 Gallon corner tank is four A150's, BTW.
http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/calculator.php

Obviously these examples don't account for your rock layout or anything else, so just ideas to get you thinking! :)
I returned the other lights and purchased the popularGrow 165 Wi-Fi led from eBay thank you for all the suggestions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back