New Magnificent Foxface acting strange

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface arrived UPD from DD well this morning. Since has been acting strange. When I first added him to the QT he froze and remainder there for a time the swam around normal for a little then out of the blue raised his spines, darkened, and froze. I though that maybe something was wrong with the QT so I used entirely different equipment and fresh premade salt water matching the temp and salinity then move him. Did the same thing and now he is just frozen inside a PVC, dark, spines fully extended just sitting there. Is this Norma behavior for a Foxface. I had a one spot years ago and I know they get really freaked out but where he is now is pretty peaceful. You think he is just freaked from the transport?
He looks very healthy, fat, and not small.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it come out to eat? My one spot ironically started acting strange a few weeks ago. Just hides behind a rock, spines up, off color, but during feeding time he comes out eats and seems fine. I'm waiting for him to relax, no clue why he all of the sudden seems spooked. Very possible your magnificent is just stressed out. They seem to be very skittish fish. If it doesn't eat, then i'd worry.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it come out to eat? My one spot ironically started acting strange a few weeks ago. Just hides behind a rock, spines up, off color, but during feeding time he comes out eats and seems fine. I'm waiting for him to relax, no clue why he all of the sudden seems spooked. Very possible your magnificent is just stressed out. They seem to be very skittish fish. If it doesn't eat, then i'd worry.

Hadn't eaten yet.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing color and hiding is pretty normal -- especially for magnificent foxface, I find that they're very shy and may hide for months before warming up

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it might be normal, I do remember my other Foxface to be easily scared .

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one, and had another years ago. I don't remember either being shy or difficult to get to eat up front though. Both were about 2.5 inches when purchased. We had another at work that was the smallest I've ever seen, about 1.5" including its tail that came from 2 weeks of copper. It acted the same as you're describing and only made it a week after introduced. Both of mine home fish are/were small zoeanthid polyp eaters big time, and couldn't be housed with my pagoda cup. But other then that very hardy and good citizens with all their tank mates. I hand feed my current one. I wonder if it was captured with cyanide.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a One Spot Foxface for months. During the day (when the lights are one), he is happy and "normal". That is, he is out and about the tank, his coloration looks good and his spines are usually retracted. At night, he goes to the same spot at the base of my rocks, sits quietly, turns a dark grey and extends his spines. I figured it was a survival adaptation on the reef.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it explains about capturing methods makes some sense of things that don't make sense sometimes. I found some of it interesting.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know how to deal with a shy fish and get one to eat, so do what you already know. Give it some time. Sometimes things just happen. IMO they are strong hardy fish. Also omnivores, not picky once acclimated and will eat anything you put in there.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you've seen this, but it explains about capturing methods makes some sense of things that don't make sense sometimes. I found some of it interesting.

Thank you for that! I guess my best coarse of action is to try and keep him as comfortable as possible and getting him to eat? I've had a lot of fish but never had this issue.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a One Spot Foxface for months. During the day (when the lights are one), he is happy and "normal". That is, he is out and about the tank, his coloration looks good and his spines are usually retracted. At night, he goes to the same spot at the base of my rocks, sits quietly, turns a dark grey and extends his spines. I figured it was a survival adaptation on the reef.

You know I think my Foxface I had years ago did the exact same thing.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good foods to try? Frozen? I have PE mysis, Hakari Angel, and some dry pellets NLS, Hakari seawweed, Hakari Marine S (small/Clown fish in labor).

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Litterly there is nothing mine won't eat. Formula 1, 2, green and red algae sheets, mysis, brine, clam. He'll even nibble at the pieces of shrimp and silversides I'm trying to give the eel.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved him to another QT, bigger. He is acting better still haven't actually seen him eat but has loosened up much more.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems fine, not weak or anything. Still haven't seen him actually eat though. I plan to feed him and watch for an hour or as long as I can today.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unusual combination for sure. Especially if it's alone and has a decent hiding place. From what I've delt with, brine with a touch of garlic is the best source to get them to eat. And it doesn't deteriorate like frozen or pellet. It sounds to me like it will come around. If it doesn't, I'm sure it was out of your control from the start.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back