New Mini Controller

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ProfiLux Mini is a little less than half the cost of the full unit, mini+ph+powerbar is $414 while the mega-set Profilux4 is $840 USD.

MarineDepot offers a Reefkeeper Lite package for $199 with ph+powerbar+dataRecording (http://tinyurl.com/gw92jer). If you're using LED lights that offer their own control (AI Prime), does the ProfiLux Mini offer any additional features beyond RKL?

A typical Nano setup would be a programmable LED fixture and a single MP10. The LEDs + Vortech seem to cancel out alot of the mini controller's features. Am I wrong?

I'm considering a simple controller for my Nano. Immediate benefits would be a)temperature control b)additional pH safety check for the kalkwasser in the ATO c)tracking of pH to measure CO2 impact. If kalkwasser becomes insufficient in the future, I'll consider a GHL doser. The AVAST ATO costs the same whether I run it via the controller or standalone.

The Mini looks dang cool, but my thinking is that the Mini just doesn't make sense at $414. Either do the RLK, save for the full Profilux 4, or pick up a used unit.

Thoughts?

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pay the extra to have a sleek new GHL unit, which will be good for years to come, any day over any ReefKeeper Unit. GHL seems to be really coming out with some cool, new, relevant products. I'd invest my money in the GHL product that will still be worth something in a year or two. RK stuff just seems to be the sam old basic cheap stuff it's been for years. If it was only about having a product to do a job, nothing more considered, then sure the RKL will work, but if it's about having quality products that will give you value in more ways than one, still be worth something in the future, have a more compact and sleek look, have the latest technology and be backed by a company that is making steps forward, rather than idly fading out, i would go with the GHL Mini.

I say invest in the Mini and a Powerbar now, then when you upgrade later on, when you need to, the P4 will be a main unit upgrade only, since you'll have the Powerbar.

Also, what are the cloud based options with the RKL unit, if any? I know the GHL has a LAN port and I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure it will work with the myGHL website cloud based feature.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL seems to be really coming out with some cool, new, relevant products. I'd invest my money in the GHL product that will still be worth something in a year or two.

Agreed

Also, what are the cloud based options with the RKL unit, if any? I know the GHL has a LAN port

That's the big question because it appears their Mini has NO connectivity! If it had LAN or WiFi to their cloud, easy win. But I think the only way I can get data off the Mini is via the USB port, so it's not much better than the RK. You could upgrade the RK with a LAN port which makes it more powerful than the GHL Mini?

The lack of connectivity was my logic to either save for the Profilux4 or do a $200 throwaway on the RK, unless I missing something on the Mini. If I could reuse the mini's powerBar + pH probe, then the Mini might make sense as a path to the Profilux4

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back