New new.

dingo1799

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm new to salt, but ran a freshwater tank for years and had several very happy and fat tiger oscars, that died of old age.

I picked up a 120gal rr setup a couple weeks ago. I had every intention of using it for freshwater, I wanted a overflow/sump system for looks, love the clean look of no filters or other garbage hanging in the tank. I brought it home and started cleaning it out (owner sold house and was trying to sell it BEFORE the house closed but I didn't make it in time and he had to move it himself, so it was a fast and dirty move). After cleaning the tank as much as possible, I started working on the stand, light scuff and some polyurethane (it had some spots on the top rail around the tank where clearcoat was peeling) and stand looks brand spanking new, canopy is next.

Anyway, I started on the sump. Brought it home and 3/4 gallon of vinegar later, it looks like new. And I found a sticker on the side of it, and I find out it's a CPR CY194 wet/dry biofilter. Almost $500 new???!?!,,!,! (what the heck! for some plexiglass? Really?)

So I guess my question is, this filter is rated for 200gal tank, mines a 120, so it should be plenty of filter. I was hoping to have a sump the size of a 40gal tank packed full of bio media, this CPR has a skimmer in it, but not really enough room to pack full of media like I'd hoped, and not really big enough to add enough "buffer" water for me to be comfortable.

The plan is, sometime this year, to buy/move into a house (currently renting) I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to set this up in this house, only to have to break it down and move it again, so I'm in no hurry to do anything, besides get things situated, and be prepared for moving. Plan is to get the canopy sealed with polyurethane, upgrade the lights, figure out the sump/filter, reseal the tank and get it 100% clean (some of the silicone looks pretty ratty, I'm not risking a 120gal mess in my house) just pretty much get it ready to go so when the time comes.... looking forward to options and opinions!

IMG_1967.JPG
this is what I'm working with.

After 4 coats of poly (should be as waterproof as the tank now!)
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG

And the bio filter, it's big, but not enough space for me to be happy with it.
IMG_2032.JPG

Back